The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clunkers.....good or bad idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Yes, less inventory but NOT because of CFC. They've been buildling less vehicles because demand is lower.

Estimated 1% is GM's estimate. Actual returns could be much higher, no one knows yet what it will. Just like GM's estimate that the will pay the tax payer back by 2011, another uncertainty. Lets don't forget the GM is gambling with tax payer money on this program which I view as a big disadvatantage to Ford since they are trying to do it the old fashioned way. That way being not government owned.
    I never said the lower inventory is solely due to CFC (although, the program did move a significant number of vehicles). My point was that ’09 dealership inventories are not high.

Of course the possible return rates are estimates. Sales forecasts, profit forecasts, etc. are done in most businesses all the time. All of them are estimates. That doesn’t make them wrong.

Because the government or the tax payers have a stake in GM, does that mean GM shouldn’t make any business decisions that cost money? They shouldn’t advertise, offer incentive programs, or implement any other program to sell cars and improve their business? What about warranties? Shouldn’t they eliminate those? Aren’t they being paid with tax payer dollars? Perhaps they shouldn’t introduce any new models. After all, wouldn’t they be gambling with tax payer dollars that those new models will be successful and profitable?

The bottom line is if GM is going to become profitable again, it has to run like a business. It has to take the calculated risks necessary to be successful in business.

It's a LOT easier to take "calculated risks" when someone else is footing the bill....

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    The bottom line is if GM is going to become profitable again, it has to run like a business.
    And who better to show GM how to be profitable again than all the business barons and high-finance gurus of the US Government?
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

One thing that isn't being reportd on by the media is that the CFC $$ that people received has to be reported as taxable income.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    It's a LOT easier to take "calculated risks" when someone else is footing the bill....

kg
    Any business that has outside investors, shareholder or stakeholders has some else footing the bill for their calculated risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    And who better to show GM how to be profitable again than all the business barons and high-finance gurus of the US Government?
    GM was require to submit a viable business plan to the Gov., not the other way around. Despite what you would like to believe, the Gov. is not running GM's day-to-day business decisions.

i went looking for a full size pickup and there was not much to choose from,at least in west central il

Quote Originally Posted by bluto562004 View Post
    i went looking for a full size pickup and there was not much to choose from,at least in west central il
    All manufacturers (including the imports) have cut truck production. Trucks still aren't sell well, and dealers don't want to pay floorplan interest while vehicles sit on the lot. It may be a while before the "in stock" inventory is high again. You may be better off ordering a truck if you want one.

All manufacturers (including the imports) have cut truck production. Trucks still aren't sell well, and dealers don't want to pay floorplan interest while vehicles sit on the lot. It may be a while before the "in stock" inventory is high again. You may be better off ordering a truck if you want one.

According to advertising industry publications, America's new vehilce dealers suffered the worse September in thier history.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

And yet both the Silverado and the F150 outsold the Prius?

Quote Originally Posted by msnbc.com
    Cash for Clunkers sales included 16,330 Chevrolet Silverado pickups when all models were taken into account. Ford, meanwhile, sold 16,263 F-150 pickup trucks, which come equipped with multiple engine assortments.
    The Toyota Prius, meanwhile, a poster child for fuel efficiency, sold 15,013 vehicles through Cash for Clunkers, fewer than the Nissan Altima, Honda Accord and Toyota RAV4. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32958411/ns/business-autos/)