RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Financial impact data needed

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  bobtunney 
#1 ·
As has been discussed here before, many clubs are experiencing resistance and at times, downright hostility to what we do, i.e. dog training and testing. This resistance may come from anti-gun groups, anti-hunting groups, or simply groups that feel as if they are in competition for the public grounds we use.

I believe that the financial data that some clubs have attempted to gather could form the basis of a very cogent and persuasive argument to be made to the authorities that control these grounds. What elected official or employee of a commission reliant upon tax dollars can ignore the positive economic impact that dog clubs have upon a local economy, meals, beverages. Included in these numbers must be $$$ spent on fuel, lodging, meals, beverages, veterinarian services, local attractions, etc.

I would greatly appreciate any data that a club has been able to gather to use in our issues with the local government agency that regulate the land we use. Furthermore, all suggestions and contacts are appreciated.

I am the president of an AKC retriever club and have been working with 2 other AKC retriever clubs, 2 NAVHDA clubs, and a NAHRA club.

Please help us by sending whatever information or anecdotal evidence you can supply.

We have had meetings with local political figures and they seem to be impressed by number$$$$$$

Thank you,
Dennis McConnell
President
Westchester Retriever Club, Inc.

See less See more
#2 ·
That doesn't seem too tough to estimate.

2 nights in a hotel at $75/night - $150
2 days meals - $50-60
a tank of gas - $65

Say $250/participant.

Now you just need to figure out how many handlers will show up...

#3 ·
A tactic I know that a local horse club uses is to hand out business cards to all participants for them to use at the local businesses they patronize. The cards should say something like "I patronized your business while I was in the area running an AKC Field Trial hosted by the Black River Retriever Club. Thanks for supporting the clubs intersts!" Or whatever sounds good.

#4 ·
Back in grad school I was an assistant for a professor who did lots of economic impact studies for various things. We used various data but the biggest chunk of it came from survey data. You could post up a surveymonkey survey and get various folks to answer it. I suspect pros have very good information since they charge the expenses back to owners. Once you get a good handle on the average spend per person, you apply a multiplier to get the impact of the fact that the money taken in is re-spent. This varies by the size of the geographic area you are talking about and the specific area. Estimating this is the big number crunching part--the whole input output model and leakage varies by geography, sector, etc. However, it always seemed for a local study it used to come out at around 2x-2.5x.

Things have changed since then--with consolidation and globalization, I would imagine the leakage would be higher than back then, but it probably isn't much. You could probably use google to get good enough for government work numbers.

#6 ·
Invite the local news folks. They might send a reporter and give you and interview and some air time.

There are lots of dog lovers out there and I've yet to meet a person that didn't admire a well-trained retriever. Next time you attend a retriever event chat it up with the bird boys and you'll probably hear words like "awesome" and "so cool."

I know our club dropped a couple C notes at the nearby convenience store during our hunt test (no telling what the attendees spent over there) and in the typical small towns that host these retriever events (I don't think I've ever seen one held inside the city limits :razz:) a couple hundred bucks in ice and snack sales is nothing to sneeze at.

#14 ·
Invite the local news folks. They might send a reporter and give you and interview and some air time.
You need a "hook" to get news coverage and you need to send press releases starting about one month before the event and then keep reminding them (via email).

A hook could be something like a 12-year old handling his first dog or a 70-year old. Or a soldier back from active duty or a disabled person.

Don't speak dog speak when sending the press release--few people understand "AFC Mighty Dog has 6 NAFC and opens and really pins the mark."

Instead, try to hook the event to one person/family and one dog. You can probably ask for unusual stories in the events section of this site if you need a hook from possible entrants.

Include a cool picture of a retriever and a PERSON in your press release.

Tell the reporter the tests are designed to make sure hunters retrieve all birds they shoot by using a talented and trained dog. If nothing else, ask if any reporter in the news room has a dog who needs some training, invite the dog and reporter out, and have some experienced person gently show sit or here or whatever, using gentle stimulus.

You could say that training a dog to retrieve can be very wonderful for ANY dog because the owner can stand in the yard and throw a tennis ball or stuffed toy, helping the dog to get healthy exercise and keep the dog happy, healthy, and out of trouble. Retrieving is a fun game between the owner and dog.

Remember, few reporters assigned will understand all the dog/retriever speak. You need to bring it down to a level most people can understand so that means no field trial/hunt test speak or rattling off of titles, etc.

You could use the small, local business economic impact if you have no other hook. Would 100 people be coming to your small town and spending $250 each if not for the event?

J. Marti

#7 ·
I appreciate the responses received so far and am collecting them for consideration by the clubs I am working with.

Curious about contacting local press though. They have shown themselves to not be friends up to this point. Additionally, there is concern about raising our profile and exposing ourselves to even greater problems. Does anyone have personal experience with this?

#8 ·
Host a puppy stake during your event or a youth handler type thing and get them there to show how the kids get involved and stay out of trouble by doing so. If your also an UKC club you can point out the Youth Retreiver program or the AKC youth handler program and get them to bite on that then make your points about the finacial things the club does for the area. Bring them there on false pretenses then use them as you see fit. Nice thing about puppy or youth events you dont have to use birds so no one will be offended. Just my .02.

#10 ·
The AKC can state the economic impact of a dog show. Perhaps they can use those numbers to estimate the impact of other events.

Eric

#11 ·
I think that the 250 per handler is a pretty good number for a weekend test. I know that is about what I budget depending on how far away it is. Another thing that we have to pay is grounds/lodge fees, so we are paying money directly to the county property we use as well.

#13 ·
Dennis,

See the Animal Rights Activits vs. Hunt Test in Connecticut stickie at the top of the forum. I posted an economic impact statement there, see post number 39
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44729

As for contacting the press, I would suggest making sure local and state officials (and federal if you are using federal land) are aware via letter and email campaigns.

As has been discussed here before, many clubs are experiencing resistance and at times, downright hostility to what we do, i.e. dog training and testing. This resistance may come from anti-gun groups, anti-hunting groups, or simply groups that feel as if they are in competition for the public grounds we use.

I believe that the financial data that some clubs have attempted to gather could form the basis of a very cogent and persuasive argument to be made to the authorities that control these grounds. What elected official or employee of a commission reliant upon tax dollars can ignore the positive economic impact that dog clubs have upon a local economy, meals, beverages. Included in these numbers must be $$$ spent on fuel, lodging, meals, beverages, veterinarian services, local attractions, etc.

I would greatly appreciate any data that a club has been able to gather to use in our issues with the local government agency that regulate the land we use. Furthermore, all suggestions and contacts are appreciated.

I am the president of an AKC retriever club and have been working with 2 other AKC retriever clubs, 2 NAVHDA clubs, and a NAHRA club.

Please help us by sending whatever information or anecdotal evidence you can supply.

We have had meetings with local political figures and they seem to be impressed by number$$$$$$

Thank you,
Dennis McConnell
President
Westchester Retriever Club, Inc.

#15 ·
So I guess sending the picture of snow geese piled up to read PETA wont be helping much.

I have doubts any good would come out of getting the media involved. These aren't rescue dogs from Katrina that are trained by rehabbed prisoners that are on their way to orphans. You paid how much for that dog ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.