The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: 2010 - The Second American Revolution

  1. #41
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDogRem View Post
    If straight ticket voting was the reason for the 6% R, that's very sad. Anyone who votes a straight party ticket, cares about their party more than this country.

    Yes, I agree that straight ticket voting is just "showing up".

    I might suspect that is part of the reason that some of these idiots end up in Congress
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Yes, I agree that straight ticket voting is just "showing up".

    I might suspect that is part of the reason that some of these idiots end up in Congress
    Absolutely. Straight ticket voting is irresponsible and borderline ignorant. If you do your research and everyone you like just happens to be an R or a D, so be it. But to vote just because of that R or D is BS.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Buzz,
    what i heard on this race was the ind. came into the race about 3 weeks before election day and was out spent about 3 to 1 by the dems. not bad considering the rep. got 6% and wasn't even running.
    the tea baggers and others you mentioned should be applauded for their effort. i think it should scare the republican party, they are losing because they aren't conservative. they are going to lose more if they don't change. most americans are conservative and not party affiliated. you might have well elected the dem. to that seat compared to the rep. candidate.

  4. #44
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    In the 23rd, the only reason the Dem won was because the Republicans who dominate the area decided to piss on each other rather than win. If there is any national significance, it is strictly for Republicans as the conservative wing tries to "purify" itself ideologically by chasing out moderates.

    Every indication is that Republicans will win big in mid-term elections in 2010. The most likely challenge that could change victory to defeat comes from those in the party who would rather lose than be in the same party with what they like to call RINO's when they are being polite. I cannot imagine any scenario where the Democrat who won will hold the job for more than a year unless the Republicans decide once again to see just how far to the right of their supporters the can go without losing.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    But, I'm sure you're OK with waving and proudly displaying the flags of Mexico, Kenya, Libya, Iran and/or any other country past or present? Well here's a news flash for you Dave: NOT everyone that owns a CSA flag is a redneck. While I don't publicly fly the flag, I am proud to be a Southerner and direct descendent of Robert E. Lee. If immigrants both legal and illegal can come over here and proudly wave their flags and not be judged, somehow I find it offensive that someone like you would judge me on my heritage. Remember racism was and is just as prevalent in the North as it was in the South. The War of Northern Aggression was not about slavery, it was about economics.
    Well said Julie!

    I'll add that the war was originally about States Rights. The CSA could have never raised the amount of troops it did had it been about slavery because less than 1% on the CSA owned slaves. The South fought to protect its rights and freedoms. Not for the plantation owners as today's Liberals would have us beleive.

    We need to keep our history factual and not let the New Socialist revise it!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    how many blacks fought FOR the confederacy?-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    how many blacks fought FOR the confederacy?-Paul
    You might be surprised (I was). Nearly half as many blacks (many freemen, to boot) fought for the CSA as for the Union.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Nor_Cal_Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburg, Ca
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    You might be surprised (I was). Nearly half as many blacks (many freemen, to boot) fought for the CSA as for the Union.
    kudos to you too......

    NCA

  9. #49
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    But, I'm sure you're OK with waving and proudly displaying the flags of Mexico, Kenya, Libya, Iran and/or any other country past or present? Well here's a news flash for you Dave: NOT everyone that owns a CSA flag is a redneck. While I don't publicly fly the flag, I am proud to be a Southerner and direct descendent of Robert E. Lee. If immigrants both legal and illegal can come over here and proudly wave their flags and not be judged, somehow I find it offensive that someone like you would judge me on my heritage. Remember racism was and is just as prevalent in the North as it was in the South. The War of Northern Aggression was not about slavery, it was about economics.
    The proud southern heritage is that of the United States. A few hundred thousand men died to preserve the union, and keep the flag of the United States the flag we still fly today. No, of course not all who display the confederate flag are racist, but MANY are, so you can quit being offended...I am not judging you on your heritage.

    As for the causes of the Civil War (I will refrain from calling it the "war of southern rebellion" if you don't call it the "war of northern aggression") to quote Abraham Lincoln:

    The institution of slavery "created a powerful interest in the states where it existed. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the objective for which the insurgents would rend the Union, even by war...Both parties deprecated war; but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive; and the other would accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came."

    Maybe since he was President of the United States, his view was biased you say? Here is a quote from Alexander Stephens, vice president of the CSA:

    that slavery was the immediate cause of the late rupture and the present revolution of Southern independence

    And that the confederacy in contrast, is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundation are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based on this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.


    This Mighty Scourge, Perspective on the Civil War, McPhereson 2007 p. 3

    To say the war was about economics, not slavery is like saying our dogs are about fetching, not retrieving. The entire economy of the south relied on slavery, and they faced economic collapse if slavery was abolished! The two issues were so closely intertwined, they were inseparable.
    Last edited by dnf777; 11-04-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Although there were blacks in the Confederate Army almost from the beginning, originally, most did not fight. The Confederacy began by forcing slaves into service as servants. They later began using slaves and free blacks as laborers — chaplains, cooks, teamsters, blacksmiths, etc. It was not until 1865 that the Confederacy authorized the enlistment of Black soldiers. Although some black soldiers enlisted to fight for the south out of some warped sense of loyalty (some sort of Stockholm Syndrome, I guess), most enlisted for more practical reasons. They were offered pay equal to white enlisted men, they were promised their freedom, and they were promised bounty land in exchange for their service.

    Unfortunately for the south, the north had been enlisting blacks since 1862, which gave them an advantage in troop strength. However, blacks in the union army were put in segregated units and were paid less than white soldiers until 1864, when their pay was equalized and made retroactive. In an effort to dissuade blacks from joining the Union Army, the Confederate Congress threatened to enslave or kill any black soldiers captured. There are some recorded incidents where they did exactly that.

Similar Threads

  1. 2010 National Amateur Championship
    By Jane Patopea in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 11:33 PM
  2. 2010 Event Info
    By FetchExpress in forum Event Information
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 10:36 PM
  3. Revolution in Iran ?
    By Franco in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
  4. Revolution
    By cchristopher in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •