The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Peace Prize

Jeff,
    Thanks for the amazing diversion! I'm sure those men can find some way to soothe the pain of not winning the Nobel Prize. There are bigger prizes, afterall.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad H View Post
    I hardly ever post any more, but I just had to read this thread today. I am sorry, but the Nobel USED TO mean something. But it has been down hill for a long, long time. It went from Gandhi and Mother Teresa to Yasar Arafat and Barack Obama in about 65 years. I could go to a soup kitchen or battered women's shelter in any town in this country and find someone who has done VASTLY more to bring peace to this God forsaken world than Mr. Obama. Those peoples vision might actually inspire us all... Mr. Obama's, I am sorry to say, doesn't come close to measuring up (IMHO).

If I am not mistaken, I believe the VOTING for this award, not just nominations, took place in February, some 11 days after the inauguration. 11 days! Mr. Obama didn't even know where the bathrooms were in the White House by that time! The committee, AND Mr. Obama should be ashamed and embarrassed. After all, the Nobel committee is from Norway, one of the WONDERFUL European countries Mr. Obama and Ms. Pelosi want to remake America after. And this is the kind of form over substance, political BS that will soon reign supreme in their "Brave New World". More so than it already is.

Sorry for the blast. I know I don't post much, so thank you for the opportunity to vent.

Chad
    From one old Missouri boy (grew up in St Lou) to another...thanks for the post.

BTW---What did Greg Mortenson do wrong???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Mortenson

Should be the proud recipeint based on ACHEIVEMENT!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Just for the fun pf it I post the following email I received today (needless to say, there was nothing personal about this email. Millions got the same):

"Jeff --

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama
    "

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Just for the fun pf it I post the following email I received today (needless to say, there was nothing personal about this email. Millions got the same):

"Jeff --

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama
    "
    Sooooo, that's what a teleprompter looks like!!
    Last edited by road kill; 10-09-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

"But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes."

When was this ever the case?
    This award was always about acheivement.
    In this instance it's about a political slap in Bush's face, c'mon!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Amazing, I just received this email...

Franco-

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Heisman Trophy for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- Ricky Williams, O J Simpson, men who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of winning a National Championship, even though I can't pass, run or tackle.

But I also know that throughout history the Heisman Trophy has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes, like signing a huge NFL contract.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met and one day, we will get Al Davis and Jerry Jones to sell thier teams.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people who have drank the kool-aide and worship me as the messiah. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to vote for a President with little to no qualifications and to also award me with the Heisman Trophy.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue to put pressure on the game officials to make sure the Bears win it all.

Salaam a lakeum,

President Barack Obama "
    Last edited by Franco; 10-09-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Sorry Jeff, I just could help myself and the devil made me write this.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    "But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes."

When was this ever the case?
    This award was always about acheivement.
    In this instance it's about a political slap in Bush's face, c'mon!!
    Was listening to the radio... apparently Woodrow Wilson's work on the League of Nations (not approved by the US Senate, didn't happen).

I'd add Arafat, Peres, and Rabin.

Really--as the world is NOT at peace, most of the prizes award a concept rather than a reality.

That said, I don't understand today's announcement in the least, and if I have more internet time this evening I will be googling "Nobel Peace Prize Goldman-Sachs" and such-like.

The Nobel Peace Prize committee has "jumped the shark" on this one.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Huh...funny thing he "said the exact same humble message". On the tube as well.

What a crock of crap. The really humble thing to do would have been to decline the award.

Man I can't edit on the blackberry. They said on TV he is going to donate his 1.4 million to charity. ACORN perhaps????