The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutering recovery time

Default Neutering recovery time

Anyone know roughly how long untill a dog can swim And hunt after being neutered? He is scheduled for a few days before duck season. Hoping he"ll only miss the first weekend. Thanks

The original poster seems to be referencing a male being fixed.

For planning purposes, how long does a female need after spaying before back to training, swimming, hunting, etc.....????

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Both surgeries involve abdominal incisions. Even though the outer skin layer may look "healed" within a week, it takes longer for the internal suture area to heal. My vet recommends no work for at least 14 days.

Good luck to both of you.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Trainor View Post
    Both surgeries involve abdominal incisions. Even though the outer skin layer may look "healed" within a week, it takes longer for the internal suture area to heal. My vet recommends no work for at least 14 days.

Good luck to both of you.

Neutering does, too? I thought they just make a small incision at the scrotum? You're the vet tech... I just always thought neutering was a "simple" surgery while spaying was "major" surgery because of the abdominal incision. I always thought boys recovered quite quickly because it just wasn't as big of a deal. Thanks for the education!

-K

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Kristie....feline neuters are done through a small incision in the scrotum. Canine neuters are done via an abdominal incision, along side the penis.
    For retained testicles, the procedure is major surgery.

When I posted this, I was thinking about the retained testicle surgeries, not a routine neuter.

Routine neuters can be done through the scrotum for dogs also.

(Shoot, for cat neuters, the equine vet around here will do them on the tailgaate of his truck! Small slice, pull out the testicle, tie it in a knot and snip, snip!!)
    Last edited by Vicky Trainor; 10-12-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Trainor View Post
    Kristie....feline neuters are done through a small incision in the scrotum. Canine neuters are done via an abdominal incision.....at least at all 3 of the vet clinics where I have worked.

(Shoot, for cat neuters, the equine vet around here will do them on the tailgaate of his truck! Small slice, pull out the testicle, tie it in a knot and snip, snip!!)
    How do you tie a testicle in a knot??
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hester View Post
    How do you tie a testicle in a knot??
    Let me ask my ex she was a master at doing that...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

this subject reminds me of the time I went with my old friend the late Doc Crownover (Dr EdA classmate) to a call at a nearby TX ranch. The ranch belonged to the legendary Texas wrestling Von Erich clan..Ronny asked if I wanted to watch/assist on gelding a horse,so being a city boy I thought SURE WHY NOT.... Long story shortened, I got to hold the emasculator tools and the stainless bucket afterwards..was sick to my stomach for a couple of days and never went on another horse call....the neutering of the male species of any animal still brings that queasy feeling to my.....you know
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post
    Neutering does, too? I thought they just make a small incision at the scrotum? You're the vet tech... I just always thought neutering was a "simple" surgery while spaying was "major" surgery because of the abdominal incision. I always thought boys recovered quite quickly because it just wasn't as big of a deal. Thanks for the education!

-K
    Obviously a woman speaking

Man-this thread is just screamin to be Bubbatized.