RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Where to elk hunt?

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  ElkChaser 
#1 ·
I am already planning an elk hunt for next season. I was planning on going to Vermejo Park in New Mexico until I found out that Ted Turner owned it. Does anybody have any suggestions on a nice first class place to elk hunt. This may be the only time my father and I get to go so I won't it to be right.

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
West Tex-New Mex Hunting Services www.new-mexico-hunts.com Jess Rankin (575) 622-6600

My husband went with this out fitter located in Alamagordo, NM. They hunted up in the mountains in and around Cloudcroft. I tried to insert a picture of the big boy my hubby took but couldn't. He will go back to them in if I said I wanted more elk meat.

http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy286/mjveitch/

#4 ·
Send an email to my friend Michael MacFarlane, he is a guide/outfitter that works out of Grand Junction Colorado...tell him that I sent you, he is a real good guy and will shoot it real straight as to what he can and cant do

michael@adventureboundllc.com

#7 ·
I've hunted the San Juans north of Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Big bulls but low numbers. I've also hunted the White River National Forest around Meeker, Colorado. Lots of elk with some descent bulls. Years ago I hunted the Routt National Forest near Rand, Colorado. Small bulls and the numbers weren't that great.
All of my experience is "on your own" hunting not with an outfitter. If it's a one shot deal I would recommend finding a quality outfitter in a quality area. Elk hunting on your own can be productive if you are willing to put the foot work in and have the time to stay a while. But, if there are physical restrictions and time limitations I would go with an outfitter.
Joe

#9 ·
Richard, Were you in the Ute Creek or Camels Peak range area? I hunt east of Buford in the Marvine Creek area. I've hunted there since 1987 about every other year. Good memories, some with elk and some without.
Joe

#10 ·
There are NO elk in Colorado! They all migrated to Utah and New Mexico!!

Helping in the worse way possible....

FOM <--- leaving Thursday for Elk camp

#11 ·
I'd would do a do-it-yourself hunt in CO,WY, or MT Whiteriver national forest would be a good one. Go bow hunting its a lot easier to draw a tag and you can hunt the rut. Rifle hunting isnt much of a hunt on public land you just get in front of them as they run to privet and once they are there you head to the bar because they aint comming out till long after your back in texas. LOL Bow hunting is the way to go on ELK.

Oh Yea Look out for these as well

:D If you need any help pm me. Ive killed dozens of elk on public land.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.