The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Raw food diet.

Default Raw food diet.

Been looking into this lately. What are the basic portions everyone is feeding. I've heard and seen nothing but good from this and it appears to be cheaper. I'm feeding 6. has anyone seen any food agression as a result of this?

What kind of mixtures is everyone using? I going with chicken necks at .21 a lb and veggies at reduced cost It is gonna save some coin.

Pro's/Con's

Portions are something you will need to work out as you go. It is not like processed food where you measure by the cup. Raw food DOES NOT cause aggression. I would recomend you start slowly. Start by adding one neck for 2-7 days and then increase from there, at the same time decrease the processed food. Their bodies need a chance to get used to the new food, just the same as if you were changing dog foods. There is a lot more for them to get used to, taste/texture/digestion etc. Go slowly research and get comfortable with feeding the new diet. Not only do the dogs need to adjust you will need to adjust how you feed.
    deb

I feed the raw to my two labs, and they love it! I have to say i'm a first time feeder and I was turned on to it by my vet who helped me get started. The veggie mix takes some time to make, but I make a few month supply and freeze it. My dogs eat chicken backs, chicken necks, turkey necks, beef ribs, venison burger, elk burger, beef burger, canned mackeral, and eggs. I think variety is key to this diet. I also supplement with fish oil, flaxseed oil, molasses, and a powder multimineral/vitamin to make up for anything they aren't getting. As far as proportions go...It's gonna range depending on the dog. I feed my dogs twice a day. My male weighs 68 lbs and he eats 2 pounds a day. My female weighs 50 pounds and she eats 14 oz a day. It's gonna depend on your dog. A good base is to feed 2-3% of the dogs weight a day. It's easier to put the weight on the dog then take it off. So i'd start on the light side.

We have fed raw for about 2 years and love it, we feed fresh green beef tripe, beef heart, lung, esophagus, gullet. Hey Matt, you don't live to far away, I have a surplus right now if your interested. I'll shoot ya a pm, check your inbox.

When you use organ or muscle meats alone you need to research what supplements need to be added as they are not complete.

When feeding way chicken keep in minde that chicken necks are the most balanced part of the chicken with protein and calcium. Backs are all calcium, breasts all protein with wings and legs and thigh in the middle. Some folks I know have found a butcher who will ground up a whole chicken and then they add all the needed supplements.

Cindy R.
    Rustic Terriers, Parson Russell & Australian Terriers
    Fox Fire's Abracadabra
    Ch. Fox Fire Leather "N" Lace
    Benayr Scottish Blend- aka- Brody
    Benayr Rustic Charm - aka- Taylor