The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A new deficit record!!!! YAHOOOOO!!!

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Osama and his marxist and maoist buddies are trying to destroy capitalism in one year. Sadly they are doing a good job of it.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I have asked before and not received an answer. How much do the wars contribute to our economy? Perhaps enough to offset the cost?

Also, I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I was complaining to an old guy at work one day about the space program and he said that for every dollar spent on it, it creates 4 to 5 dollars in the private sector.

Hey, if that is the case all we need to do is start more wars. Just think what a war with North Korea, China, Iran, Cuba, Russia and Pakistan would do to boost our economy.

Also, I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I was complaining to an old guy at work one day about the space program and he said that for every dollar spent on it, it creates 4 to 5 dollars in the private sector.
    I expect it would be hard to support that.

I believe:

As far as the space program goes, sending humans to other worlds is folly.

If an understanding of space is the goal, the hubble, on the otherhand gives lots of bang for the buck.
    Last edited by subroc; 10-17-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added comment
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I expect it would be hard to support that.

I believe:

As far as the space program goes, sending humans to other worlds is folly.

If an understanding of space is the goal, the hubble, on the otherhand gives lots of bang for the buck.
    Don't get me wrong. I think going to space is stupid. I don't see the point of spending billions or trillions to crash something into another planet or the moon. I was simply stating what I heard, because I thought someone else may have heard it as well.

If our resident Jeopardy champ (Yardley) was here, I am sure that he would know the truth off of the top of his head.
    ________
    UGGS
    Last edited by ducknwork; 04-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.

In the early days of NASA, I do believe that the research also yielded items that were applicable to civilian use. Miniaturization to conserve weight in the space missions is one thing that comes to mind.

This return on investment may not have remained constant in more recent years.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Velcro and tang come to mind.

Nowadays, I don't think that pioneer spirit is driving NASA, or the funding behind it. Ever since the space shuttle was launched, (or maybe long before) the space program has been about military advantage. GPS and satellite imaging are just two examples. Being able to predict weather more accurately is also of vital tactical importance. In all honesty, NASA should probably be a DoD subsidiary.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Velcro and tang come to mind.

Nowadays, I don't think that pioneer spirit is driving NASA, or the funding behind it. Ever since the space shuttle was launched, (or maybe long before) the space program has been about military advantage. GPS and satellite imaging are just two examples. Being able to predict weather more accurately is also of vital tactical importance. In all honesty, NASA should probably be a DoD subsidiary.
    The majority of space shuttle launches have had no military components to them. A third or so of them have had some military aspect to them. Only a handful of shuttle missions have been exclusively military. The Air Force has its own launch platforms for getting most of its hardware into space. But yes, NASA does work closely with the military.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    The majority of space shuttle launches have had no military components to them.
    Sure they don't. The DoD is so careful to tell us about all their missions...esp ones involving Space Command and espionage devices.

I'm all for every advantage we can get, nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying NASA is an operative of the DoD, and that's ok. Easier to justify national security than Buck Rogers exploration. GPS wasn't conceived and funded for geocachers and Garmin Nuvi's in your Subaru!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I'm just saying NASA is an operative of the DoD, and that's ok.
    And I'm just saying that you're wrong. And that's ok, too. When standing in a hole, your motto is, "Dig faster!"

BTW, you don't have to be able to walk out your front door for a pretty nice view of every launch, or duck hunt on NASA property within sight of the shuttle launch pads, or even have a number of friends and hunting pards who work at Kennedy Space Center to know that NASA isn't just a tool of the DoD. The information is readily available on the ol' interweb.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Hey, I knew a guy who swept floors at the Pentagon, does that make me an expert privvy to the inner workings of the CIA? I used to hunt on Ft. Bliss and could see Patriot missiles, maybe I should start a consulting firm based on my knowledge?

Don't believe everything you read on the web regards....including this.
    Dave