The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The rumor isn't true

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Default The rumor isn't true

I've been hearing lately a rumor I want to set straight.

I have NOT "gone to horses" and "gotten out of the dogs"!!!!

Yes, I have horses. Yes, I have brought them home instead of keeping them at a friend's farm. Yes, I take my granddaughter to eventing shows. Yes, I have ridden in some Western shows, barrel racing, pole bending events.

No, I have not closed the kennel. No, I have not stopped training dogs. No, I have not stopped accepting judging assignments for AKC Hunt Tests.

I don't know who started the rumor or why, but it isn't true. So, if you hear it, you can say you "heard it straight from the horse's mouth" that IT ISN"T TRUE!!

Vicky Trainor
    Oakdale Retrievers
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

I heard you were an exotic dancer.

Just trying to help.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

"Rumours"......great Fleetwood Mac album, loved Stevie Nicks in her younger days
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post

Just trying to help.
    Shhhhhh, Terry! Don't tell all my secrets!!
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post

Just trying to help.
    No, that was me.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Vicky, you're doing it backwards....most horse people get less daring about galloping and jumping as they get older and switch to dogs I've been surprised to find so many former riders involved with retrievers, obedience, agility, etc. and a lot of people that compete herding dogs came to it from cutting horses.
    I can't believe I used to gallop up and down mountains and jump my horses over stone walls and coops after a pack of screaming hounds and preferred thoroughbreds for their speed and ability to keep up with hounds. Now my only requirement is the horse have a pulse.

Walk n talk trail rides regards,
    Julie

Julie,

According to my Mom, my love for horses started when I was very young. Up until about 5 years ago, she always said she couldn't understand why I was so "doggie" when I always loved the horses. Now she says she can't understand why I have to be so doggie and horsey...LOL (She loves the dogs and horses, but won't admit it!!)

When I was in my late teens/early twenties, I did a lot of jumping and English riding. But, then "life happened"....divorce/single parent/working 2 jobs to make ends meet. It wasn't until about 5 - 6 years ago that dream to be able to look out my window and see my horses grazing came true. I only do the fun shows now because of my granddaughter and if having a horse and going to horse events with her Nana will keep her on the straight & narrow, I'll always have a horse for her!!! She's a good kid and I want to do all I can to keep it that way!

Like you, I enjoy the "walk n talk" trail rides! But I have to admit, I do enjoy the trotting and the canter occasionally.

It's been fun teaching my personal dogs to obey commands while riding. They quickly learn that they have to obey the commands no matter if I'm standing in the field or on horseback...just another aspect of training I had a dog here for training that the owner wanted the dog to be introduced to horses and trained to hunt while the owner was riding. Seems he has a huge farm where he wants to use the dog to flush game & retrieve it while he is out riding. He has now taught the dog to "deliver to hand" by having the dog place his front paws on the stirup fender so he can reach down & get the bird without having to dismount!
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator

Kristie Wilder

Oh, goodness... That shows what facebook will do to you. All the talk of the fancy barn and pics of the dogs being stored on shelves... See, it'll come back to bite you!!! LOL

Damn....actually I'd heard that Vicky & Kristie had formed a 'pole dancing' team. I was soooooo looking forward to inviting you two out as the entertainment for our next HT.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post
    Oh, goodness... That shows what facebook will do to you. All the talk of the fancy barn and pics of the dogs being stored on shelves... See, it'll come back to bite you!!! LOL

LOL...I guess you're right!

I first heard the rumor locally....but over the past couple of weeks, I talked to retriever folks that are many states away and they told me the same rumor. Geez!!!
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator