The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this good or bad??

Question Is this good or bad??

Here is the deal,

In our first hunt test, while going through the holding blinds my dog would get more excited the closer we got to the line. We crashed and burned that test and I do blame myself and not the dog (long story).

The last two tests, going through the holding blinds, my dog is damn near asleep, lays down and rests (right up to the line). Gunshot's, duck calls, nothing phases him. The galllery is smiling at this dog who appear's not to really give a darn, I'm wondering "Great, here we go, he won't go, he's not in the game" etc.. Wife is thinking the same thing. We get called to the line....

He wakes up, perks up, marks great, very steady (his formal obedience is paying off). In our first hunt test pass two weeks ago my dog was scored an average of 8.5 for all the marks. Yesterday's hunt test he did better and score an average of 8.75. Two ribbons towards our first ever title (I know only Junior but we gots to start somewhere).

So I'm thinking.. Hmmmm? Must be WHAT I'M WEARING!!!!

Lucky Toe Ring Regards!

PS: Real cool to finish a tough test with good friends and all go home with a ribbon! Judges were tough and did not tolerate much in terms of mistakes.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Musick View Post
    Here is the deal,

So I'm thinking.. Hmmmm? Must be WHAT I'M WEARING!!!!

Lucky Toe Ring Regards!
    What???? No pictures????

Congrats on the second qualification!
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Musick View Post
    Here is the deal,

PS: Real cool to finish a tough test with good friends and all go home with a ribbon! Judges were tough and did not tolerate much in terms of mistakes.
    Congrats on the pass. The attire was very appropriate, it's camo right?...
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Glavich View Post
    Congrats on the pass. The attire was very appropriate, it's camo right?...

Thanks Jason, yes its camo, but I have been working on the Blechech ripped camo shirt and mis-matching camo pattern look for a while, it was all underneath my matching camo pants and jacket, to cold to show off the new look, but I wore the same camo underneath that I am convinced is bringing me luck!!

If you are asking is it good or bad that your dog is mellowing out in the holding blinds I would say it is good as long as the dog is focused and alert at the line with no apparent lack of desire.

My guess would be that your dog was extra hyper in the first test because it was a new environment. It is possible that your dog now has the venue figured out in terms of understanding what is coming next, knowing that there is a lot of waiting after coming out of the truck, etc. If this is the case, I would say it is a good thing.

Good luck to you and your dog.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I agree, it's good that your dog is able to stay calm in the holding blind. I think thats part training and just experience on your dog's part. Both of my dogs are very calm in the holding blind, Gus, who is a fire breather while running, just lays down in the blind until we get called to the line.

Congrats on the pass, keep up the good work.

John

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post

Good luck to you and your dog.
    I think maybe your right, he's UNDERWHELMED!!!

I've tried to follow the logic in the below statement, good words to go by!

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

Thanks Huntindog & John & Jason,

What is really cool I am not such a nervous wreck as I was in the first test. Hard to believe a guy my age would let the pressure of a test get to me! Old man climbing out of his shell I suppose! This was the first test I think I actually watched the other dogs and really enjoyed it!

I was up at the line (Junior tests are awesome), the dog before me was going for its first water mark, I am sure the water is cold, I would not want to get in it. This dog crossed the water and picked up the bird, then it worked VERY hard to try and cheat his way back, you could tell this dog did not want to go back in that water!! After running around a bit, figureing out there was no way to cheat, this dog backed up, took a running start and I swear that pup must have jumped 20 feet before landing in the water! You could tell that this dog thought he could clear the entire 25 yard channel without getting wet! Stuff like that is priceless and can usually only be seen in JH tests!!

Guess I'm hooked for sure, the ribbons are cool too.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

For what it's worth I think that you said it all when you said you were relaxed at the two passes. A dog feeds off of your nervousness and gets"wound" up too. I just completed my first AKC Junior judging assignment and when I was running dogs myself I never noticed the difference in handlers. This past time I really saw a HUGE difference when a handler came to the line all confident their dogs seemed to perform much better.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Ribbon and Dog looks like this (only different)! Second attachement is a new family member which arrives in late November! The wife is going to run her!

I hear she is genetically prediposed to retrieve nasty ducks without all that FF business, also comes with built in advance retriever skills!! You can see it in her eye's (which just opened)!!!