The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White spots or no white spots!?

Default White spots or no white spots!?

I am in a pickle, and I would like to know what you would do in my situation and why.

I have to pick a puppy out of a litter, and the pup with the best personality, spunk and confidence has white on her feet, chin, chest and nose. The pigment on her nose is speckled pink and black instead of all black like her litter mates. There are 2 other pups with the personality traits that I am looking for, but not as much as this girl. The other pups have beautiful color.

I really don't want to turn down a pup because of it's appearance, but there is still part of me that likes the color of the other two pups!

I will work on attaching photos of these pups in a bit.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

If you are having questions now, you will always regret your decision. Remember, that color is also one of the things that you are considering and if you always have it in the back of your mind that it may be a negative, you may wish you had gotten one of the others ones.

However, if the other qualities you want weigh more than color, then pick this little girl that you have fallen for. The one thing I have noticed with my little guy is that color is not too important. He is almost all white, but has more yellow color in his ears, a yellow stripe all the way down his back into his tail.

Good luck with your decision.

What are your intentions? Conformation, breeding, or just retrieving?

Both my pups have white spots on their chests, which before I was against having, but their personalities fit me best so I compromised and accepted it. We do plan some conformation, but the spot is still within my breed's stds. Also, as pups the spot(s) may look big, but as they grow the spot(s) may appear to shrink due to the dog's overall size difference.

One of my pups at 8 weeks had a noticeable white chest spot, now at 8 months I have to search his chest to find it.

Bottom line, I'd take personality over appearance unless it will hinder your goals. Or re-evaluate your goals. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision whatever it is for you!

I'll take personality every time..
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDogRem View Post
    Also, as pups the spot(s) may look big, but as they grow the spot(s) may appear to shrink due to the dog's overall size difference.

One of my pups at 8 weeks had a noticeable white chest spot, now at 8 months I have to search his chest to find it.
    I agree with Rem, great post! I've had pups in a litter that looked like they'd have huge white markings on the chest that you later had to search for to find. It seems like as the pup grows, the marking doesn't. Probably half the CBRs I've whelped here have had a little white on their chests. There's even an old superstition that the white marking means that pup will be a good hunter, and some people seek them out.

If you really like the marked pup better, I'd go for it. I think the white is less acceptable if you plan a show ring career for this dog. I assume it's a Lab or Golden since you said the noses were black. What color is the pup? A small amount of white isn't a disqualification for either Labs or CBRs, but unlike Labs CBRs can and do win with it. Not sure of how the other breeds' standard reads but the ACC standard states a white marking is acceptable, just not preferred. One of my favorite Goldens has a little sliver of white on his head. But then again, I like a unique dog!

How old are the pups and what color is the one with the spots? That sounds a little like the "setter mismark" I had. The nose does fill in. If you are planning on breeding it would not be a good idea as a lot of people don't like white. If you are not then pick the one you like.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

There is a guy with a nice NAHRA dog that has white on the under side of her feet.... Nice dog, and it has become part of her story....

Go with the dog that has what you are after.

Here is the photo of the pup that is calling my name
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Teed

Still In Training

Probably not a big deal. If she were black,it would be more noticable but being yellow, not a huge ordeal. If you want to breed later- keep in mind they do pass that on (maybe not first generation but 2nd for sure)
    Shes a cutie- whats her breeding?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

What a doll! Can see why she would tug at your heart strings.
    If you dont want someone to get your goat
    dont tell them where you tied it up.