The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GDG-- Health insurance again

Thumbs down GDG-- Health insurance again

Kristie and others who are self employed.... what's the latest scoop on health insurance costs/ availability? I remember Kristie bringing the topic up not terribly long ago and I just opened an envelope from my ag group who I've been getting my group rate thru, only to read that it's appearing they are trying to dump those of us who don't have at least 2 full time employees. Years ago, we were supposedly grandfathered in.

I will see what kind of response I get to my email, but if I am removed from the group policy, premiums are almost doomed to rise sharply as I'm approaching "that age" bracket where they seem to be wishing us to go away one way or the other! Very, very frustrating considering I am paying nearly $5000 a yr in premiums for major medical, yet know of so many w/ all kinds of ailments who have had surgeries for lesser pains than I have, yet likely haven't paid an insurance premium in years.............. Anne

Banned

I pay $169/month. It includes prescriptions.

KPS health plans out of Bremerton. 800-552-7114 (kpshealthplans.com)

WRL

My renewal premium is up about 12%, which unfortunately is cheaper than I have had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    I pay $169/month. It includes prescriptions.

KPS health plans out of Bremerton. 800-552-7114 (kpshealthplans.com)

WRL

Wow, thanks Lee. This actually sounds like better coverage at much less $$ than I have now. My program has really gone downhill, which is maybe why they are trying to change to Regence, but unless they come thru w/ one heck of a deal, I'll be skipping along.

How long have you been on it, and have you had to test it yet? Are you having any troubles w/ finding providers out in the boonies? I'll have to dig deeper but it would appear they don't have near the exclusions that many others have. I've hardly been to a doctor other than the "annual" and was appalled to get a $230+ bill that wasn't covered for routine cholesteral screening a couple years ago (last time I did that... results were still great). I am tired of paying for all the whining uninsureds that get far more (and better?) health care. I don't feel I can afford to go to the doctor unless I'm about dead, at the rates I'm paying! Anne

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Wow, thanks Lee. This actually sounds like better coverage at much less $$ than I have now. My program has really gone downhill, which is maybe why they are trying to change to Regence, but unless they come thru w/ one heck of a deal, I'll be skipping along.

How long have you been on it, and have you had to test it yet? Are you having any troubles w/ finding providers out in the boonies? I'll have to dig deeper but it would appear they don't have near the exclusions that many others have. I've hardly been to a doctor other than the "annual" and was appalled to get a $230+ bill that wasn't covered for routine cholesteral screening a couple years ago (last time I did that... results were still great). I am tired of paying for all the whining uninsureds that get far more (and better?) health care. I don't feel I can afford to go to the doctor unless I'm about dead, at the rates I'm paying! Anne
    I've had it since the first of the year.

I went in for a annual physical. I think after the labs and all that I had to pay $60. I do have to go in for my mammogram still but I'm rarely sick or anything that would require going to the doctor.

WRL

You are still grandfathered. I don't know who you're with, but about 2 years ago Premera started making me show that I am still a business. They want to get rid of all the people who were grandfathered, but who are/were not a business.

You might want to look at this as it may be the wave of the future
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=G44NCvNDLfc
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Kristie Wilder

I'm with Humana still, about 2 yrs now. I have what I *think* is a good plan and I have dental, too. It's about $260/mo. I have to pay for my prescriptions up to $500, which hasn't been bad. I got some sort of virus about a month ago and had to pay about $90, which isn't bad. My regular checkups are covered and I was able to go to a walkin clinic (bc my doc has to cancel my appt when I was sick) and I think it was about $35. I'm happy with it, but I was also 100% healthy when I signed on. I'm not sure how strict they are and how much the rates skyrocket with any issues. While I don't get sick often, I'm always "afraid" to go get treated at the risk of my health insurance as I want it there in case anything major ever happens...

Golden rule was another company mentioned. Humana seemed to have the best rates and coverage for what I needed. I wish I could find someone to TELL me what to get, but I had a hard time finding that... So I did my best with what I researched. I looked for a high amount on that total coverage thing (8 million or something) and then made sure it covered cancer and stuff like that... Then I wanted regular checkups covered if it didn't jack the price up too high...

It's like reading laws or the AKC rulebook... I hate it...

-K

-K

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post
    I'm with Humana still, about 2 yrs now. I have what I *think* is a good plan and I have dental, too. It's about $260/mo. I have to pay for my prescriptions up to $500, which hasn't been bad. I got some sort of virus about a month ago and had to pay about $90, which isn't bad. My regular checkups are covered and I was able to go to a walkin clinic (bc my doc has to cancel my appt when I was sick) and I think it was about $35. I'm happy with it, but I was also 100% healthy when I signed on. I'm not sure how strict they are and how much the rates skyrocket with any issues. While I don't get sick often, I'm always "afraid" to go get treated at the risk of my health insurance as I want it there in case anything major ever happens...

Golden rule was another company mentioned. Humana seemed to have the best rates and coverage for what I needed. I wish I could find someone to TELL me what to get, but I had a hard time finding that... So I did my best with what I researched. I looked for a high amount on that total coverage thing (8 million or something) and then made sure it covered cancer and stuff like that... Then I wanted regular checkups covered if it didn't jack the price up too high...

It's like reading laws or the AKC rulebook... I hate it...

-K

-K
    I think it was Humana that I originally looked into and they don't have coverage in WA state.

I was also advised not to get dental. Normally they are discount programs and you can actually save money just paying cash.

I know when I had BC/BS and I had to have a crown they only paid 50% anyway. They did cover two cleanings per year and the x-rays once a year. And then they only covered up to $1000 of stuff per year. So I just pay cash for dental and save about $600/yr.

WRL

I have Humana and it's the best I have had yet as a self employed person. Your premiums just go up as you get older and only when you are past 55 it is steeper. I also omitted the dental because I just go in for cleanings so it isn't worth it. Sometimes I am surprised how much they cover even though I have a high deductible.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam