RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How many clubs do you join annually

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Dan Tongen 
#1 ·
I've compiled a list of four retriever HRC clubs within a two/three hour drive. I'm rather isolated on the SC coast.

Is it worthwhile for the training opportunities? Membership dues for all four would seem to be a drop in the bucket compared to other costs in this hobby. I would welcome the opportunity to work outside of day to day training routine. Making friends, and gain hands on experience would be a bonus.

Just wondering if it is realistic. Hoping by first of the year to have a handle on basic obedience. She just needs reinforcement of what she already taught in OB. Well mannered, big motor and drive, at one time wasn't gun shy, and no bird exposure as of yet.

I would consider AKC structured clubs as well, but haven't compiled that list as of yet.

Are clubs worth the investment? Any guidence appreciated.

#2 ·
I am a memeber of one club Cajun HRC but there are other that are within a two hour drive of me. I do not personally see a need to join more than one club. I would think that the other clubs in your area if they are having a training day and you showed up and helped throw birds or whatever they may need help with they would not turn you away.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
and how do you give back for their time, training tips, sharing of training places etc?

No, you don't have to join a club to get some of the benefits, but it is appreciated when you do and not just in name, but become an active club member. If there isn't one near you, how about getting your weekend training group to organize into a club.

To the original poster, We have belonged to 4 at one time (transition from a move) at the time we were founding members of Rose Country Retriever Club (AKC), Northeast Texas Hunting Retriever Club (HRC), Bryan-College Station Retriever Club (both AKC & HRC), and Tejas HRC (both AKC & HRC). Now we've scaled back to only Bryan-College Station Retriever Club and were honored to receive lifetime memberships at our last annual meeting.

We really enjoyed the many benefits from belonging to each club and in helping each one to put on good events.

#3 ·
Where on the coast are you? The Charleston Retriever Club is a great group with some of the nicest folks you will ever meet. I don't even run HRC with my dog, but I keep paying the dues to go to their club trials, training days, etc.

I also belong to the Palmetto Retriever Club as they are an AKC affiliated club and I really enjoy the FT training days and club days. Lots of skilled people involved.

That being said, since I live down in Beaufort, ALL events are a minimum 3 hour drive (one way) for me.

But yes, join a club.... or two!

#5 ·
Are clubs worth the investment? Any guidence appreciated.
Some are some aren't. I am a member of five, including one breed club and an HRC club which I don't play (although it is the only one that is close to me, unfortunately).

I don't look at it as whether the clubs are worth the investment, I look at it as an investment in the sport. I pay my dues and try to volunteer at the events but even if I never lay eyes on another member of one of them, I feel like I have helped the game in the region, even if it is in a very small way.

#6 ·
I am part of a great AKC club that has monthly "training trials" and most of the places we use would be approximately one hour from you. Would love to have you come out and see our typical monthly events. Lots of great people including 3 or 4 pro trainers that train 45 minutes or so away from MB everyday. Contact me for further info or look up Lumber River Retriever Club for more info. Dues are a whopping $12.00 per year i think.

#8 ·
I am a member of the Atlanta retriever club (AKC). I also intend to join the local HRC club and run some of their events. I have a training group that gets together about once a month, they are all HRC guys, and the AKC club has training days a couple of times a year.

The dues are well worth it.

I get to shoot fliers at the field trials. That may not seem so hot to some people, but I cannot tell you what it has done for my wing shooting. Talk about learning to handle pressure! You better not miss.

#9 ·
I am a member of one right now but I will be joining a second at the first of the year. The cost in . as you said, a drop in the bucket but the biggest reason is to help pay the cost of what the club provides, such as training grounds.

The clubs need member to pitch in to cover costs and help with the tests they put on and benefit I receive far out weighs the cost of membership

#10 ·
You might want to contact the clubs and find out when and if they have training days (if its not posted to their web sites) I belong to two field clubs currently. One gives access to training land but no monthly training days - only once a year. The other has monthly training days, and we are able to purchase the ducks at the end of the day so I have some to use.

I'm also a member of a national breed club and a local obedience club. I used to be a member of a local breed club but even though I want to support them all - in these economic times I just can't. So some clubs I rotate on and off of.

#11 ·
I would contact the clubs and find out about club meeting dates and training days. Most clubs I know will happily allow new perspective members to attend training days. Visit them and as I said club meetings also, you should be able to quickly figure out which one or ones fit your needs and expectations. Join that one or any others you like. but visiting will allow you to gauge how you will fit with the club. The club I belong to has another club even closer to my house but they train differently from how I do, so I joined my present club, who have all become good friends. I find it most beneficial to be in a club where I mesh well with the members. At times I belong up to 3 clubs. Good luck

#12 ·
I belong currently to two but will join a third this next year. I need the grounds to train on here in MT as I don't know a lot of private land owners, however I do help in any events that I can. I have also found great training groups in two of the clubs, that helps a lot when you don't always have some one to work with you.

#13 ·
We have 3 AKC FT/HT clubs up here. I am a member of each and consider it one of my investments in the sport. Gotta keep the clubs going if you want to play...

#14 ·
I'm a member of 2 clubs, I Nahra and 1 AKC, both are good clubs. Just remember without the clubs there aren't any test's to go to, that is why I am a member of these groups. Join a club or 2 and have some fun

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.