The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 1 yr old weight mgt diet?

Default 1 yr old weight mgt diet?

Last week I was advised by my ortho to keep my 1 year old YLF on crate rest for 3 months due to a condition in the tendons of her shoulder(mineralization of the supraspinatus tendon). All that I have read suggests keeping their weight down as low as possible when treating joint problems with conservative treatment (rest, no excercise).

I'm currently feeding PP Lamb, 3.5 cups/day, and she weighs 65lbs. I'm worried that because of the lack of excercise she's going to pack on the pounds pretty quickly.

What would you reccomend feeding a dog of this age that would promote healing (omegas, vitamins), but at the same time, keep the weight in check? I'm hesitant to pick up a diet formula because I don't think it will provide her with the nutrients that a growing dog her age needs. If I could figure out a diet food/supplement concoction that would be benificial for her circumstance, that would probably be ideal..

Please let me know what ya'll think..

thanks
    GEAUX TIGERS

Cut back the amount that you feed her. Very easy. Same feed, less feed.

Yea. Thats kindof what I figured. I was just worried about the lack of volume of food creating vitamin deficiences and such.

I have a tendency to overthink things...Thanks
    GEAUX TIGERS

I am going through the same thing with my 19 month old CBR. I have taken Mark's advice as well and continued to feed the 30/20 Euk that he had been getting but he is only getting 2 cups a day in two meals. To keep him happy we are giving him a beef rib every once in a while. It seems to be working, at first he was beginning to gain weight. Seems stable now at about 70#s and still looks good.

Good luck!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I am going through the same thing with my 19 month old CBR. I have taken Mark's advice as well and continued to feed the 30/20 Euk that he had been getting but he is only getting 2 cups a day in two meals.
    Good luck!
    I did some reading and can assuredly say that Mark is incorrect with his advice.

I read many medical journal excerpts that correlated to the information found in the book "The dog", so I'm just going to quote the book...

"Commercial foods that are formulated for adult maintenance contain adequate amounts of essential nutrients to meet the needs of an animal at normal weight who is consuming adequate calories. If the volume of a maintenance diet is reduced too drastically in an effort to limit calories, nutrient defencies may develop. Feeding a 75lb dog only 2.5 cups of an adult maintenance diet per day may result in a nutrient defeciency because of the low volume of food that is fed. Diets that are designed for weight loss in dogs are formulated to contain adequate levels of nutrients while supplying fewer calories."

2tall. From what I've read, it seems as though we might want to use some type of maintenance, or even diet food. You and I are both feeding Performance food and the amount of Kcal in those foods (about 500/cup) greatly exceeds that of just a maintenance food (between 350 and 400 Kcal/cup). I'm not sure about Euk, but PP makes a Weight Management food thats around 360Kcal/cup.

I guess the key thing to realize is that less food=less nutrients.

I also read a good bit about how the quantity of food relates to a dogs ability to recognize "fullness". If a dog is accustomed to eating 3 cups of food, his brain can tell his body that he's full only when he's had that 3 cups. If he was brought down to 2 cups, he might resort to less than desirable behavior in obtaining that extra substance he is missing...Getting into the trash, eating plants(which can be poisionous), etc...

Good Luck
    GEAUX TIGERS

And then there is always socks, pizza, dryer sheets, turkey sandwiches, socks, broom straws, acorns, socks..... you get the picture Basically Scout was at the point where anytime he was out of the crate he stole something he should not have. We started him on supplements, beef bones now and then, and he is doing MUCH better. If this has to go on for more than a month from now, we will switch to a weight management food. Thanks for the post!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I agree with ricejumper, although going down to a maintenance food will often be enough if the dog is inactive because he is put on rest and weight management food only necessary if the dog has gotten horribly over weight. A lot usually relates to the season, activity level, and generally if the dog is an easy keeper or not. One size does not fit all-why should that be a surprise.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam