The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help asap upset stomach

Exclamation need help asap upset stomach

i switched dog food and my pup 6 or7 months old is having stomach issues... her stools are runny and nasty!! lol i weined her off of her old dog food but maybe i did it to quick... so the question is "what can i give her to ease up this stomach problem?"

I have had this issue myself, mine actually didn't have to do with the food.Even though i had just switched. I tried the normal anti-diarhea meds and then took her to vet to find out it was a bacteria infection instead. I would say go to the vet with a sample or just the sample to make sure it is just from the food before you try to treat.

But a chicken and rice bland diet to start will help.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Boil some rice...something real bland. Maybe throw a scrambled egg in there.

When mine has stomach issues, the vet prescribes that 'prescription' dog food in a can. Think its called Hills Prescription Diet. It looks like rice and chicken. I'm pretty sure you can buy it at petco or petsmart.

And just feed a little bit at a time. Maybe like 5 or 6 small meals a day if you can..Good luck
    GEAUX TIGERS

ok but could i give her like pepto or tums or something?

You can give Immodium or pepto. Just keep a close eye in case it does not stop it.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

how long should it take? and some one told me that pediacure will work

I have never used pediacure. i have used pedialyte for dehydration with diarhea but haven't personally used pediacure. I normally add rice to there meal and give the immodium. If it does not clear in a day or so,I go to the vet for metrozindole(sp?), to cure whatever gut bug they have. The smell of the GI bugs is pretty potent, so if it is that it needs meds to take care of it. But I am no vet. Not yet anyway so if it does not improve a vet visit is the best bet.

How old is the dog? What food did you switch to?

You should really check for an underlying problem before giving immodium. If there is something wrong the immodium could disguise the problem. Sometimes they just need to crap it out. Only a vet can tell you for sure. I had the same thing happen when I switched puppy food. It turned out that my dog had giardia, because I thought it was the food, it went on much longer than it should have. A quick trip to the vets offivce would have cleared it right up.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Immodium and pepto can cause more problems than letting the situation run it's course. They don't TREAT anything, just reduce symptoms, which in this case (diarrhea) may actually be flushing toxins out of the gut as nature intended.

Pepto bismol will create heme+ stools, and can confuse diagnosis.

I'd take the advice of a trusted vet first and foremost. If they recommend the above, it's probably because they've eliminated other concerns or have a very low index of suspicion based on experience.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

You really need to see a Vet and sooner rather than later. The symptoms you describe could just as easily be parvo as any simple upset tummy.

Sooner!!!!

Eric