The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else read The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell?

Default Anybody else read The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell?

I found this book fascinating, to say the least. So much information about what it really means to be the "alpha" and how to go about doing that. I have always enjoyed Cesar Milan's work, but this made it much easier for me to understand. Hoping this new relationship will spill over into our daily work and that I won't have to keep "taking control" as the dogs have already given me control. Curious if anyone else had this take after reading the book?

Kathryn
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

OMG Katherine!!!! What a coincidence!!! I just finished this book last night! You know how hard I have been looking to find the best way to help Scout through this enforced crate time without creating a monster. I had this book sitting on my bed side table for over a year and finally picked it up after seeing and talking to you on Friday. A friend had given it to me telling me "its not much good for training retrievers but you might like it". Did I ever. I have already started using her bonding methods and the difference in just two days in Scout is unbelievable. I thought the same as you that its very similar to Caesar's stuff, but explained in depth. Now the question begs, did Caesar get his ideas from Fennell?

A great read for any dog person.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I got this book as a Christmas present 6 or 7 years ago and really liked it and implemented a lot of her suggestions, especially when I'd return from taking one of the dogs somewhere. I lent it to someone though and never got it back. It was a pleasant surprise as the dog books my friends and family give me tend to be of the useless variety. I agree, it's a great book and a very good read. Anyone know anything about the author?

So you would highly recomend this book if you have a new pup at home and your seeing things you haven't dealt with before that would make you believe she is a alpha type?
    HR Winter Hill's Smokin Ruby "Ruby"
    Blindfaith's Dream Trip "Stella"

Definitely. This book teaches YOU how to be the alpha and relieve the stress on the pup that is trying to fill that role.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Definitely. This book teaches YOU how to be the alpha and relieve the stress on the pup that is trying to fill that role.
    Ditto.

It's funny, Carol, cause I have been meaning to call you for the last 2 days and suggest you read it cause it might solve some of the problems with Scout! Guess great minds think alike - LOL!!

K

Yes. All the stories are positive, no mishaps in this book
    Read Ed Bailey's column in the October Gundog, I like his advise better.

I have the Caesar book, is the it a good/informative read? I thought it was some kind of esp dog mind reading or something so I just put it on the shelf but all this talk about dog whispering is sparking my internist.

Quote Originally Posted by AcolemrcU View Post
    I have the Caesar book, is the it a good/informative read? I thought it was some kind of esp dog mind reading or something so I just put it on the shelf but all this talk about dog whispering is sparking my internist.
    This is similar to Cesar but with more details about how to actually BE the leader - be sure to get the bonus edition with the 30-day training guide (more precise info about how to execute the program). I think it was $12 at amazon.

Kathryn

I'm buying the book right now... it scares me that the Foreword is by Monty Roberts... and being a horse person I know how a lot of his book was lies or exagerated.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.