The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Demonstration of FT dogs to General Public

Default Demonstration of FT dogs to General Public

On Friday, my employer wants me to do a demonstration of my FT dogs to members of the staff. (see grounds) The CFO and executive team will also be watching. If the link doesn't work, go to Google maps and look up Electronic Arts in Redwood City, CA.

We have a large 200 yard by 100 yard lawn that runs down the middle of our campus. I was going to run the Double T for my transition dog, and run a couple of cold blinds for my 2 year old.

After the handling show, I am going to show a few others a triple retrieve at a nearby field.

If you had the opportunity to demonstrate what your dogs could do, what would you show? IMO, the more people that understand the high level of training we do can only help us later.

Loren
    Last edited by Loren Crannell; 10-28-2009 at 05:14 PM.

I would show the team work and trust aspect taht is built in the team. I would bet that the exec's would be interested in showing that when a team works together it is greater then the sum of its parts....

I know that when we did a demo days, what always drew a crowd to the tent was when I did Baseball, stopping just before he got to the pile and then casting to a different pile, people were amazed that a dog could be trained to do something like that.....

One laady asked how old he was, "five and a half" "well my dog is seven and he won't do that" she had no concept that it was the amount of traiining not the age of the dog that let them do those things....

How much time do you have?

If you have a time constraint, maybe 8 or 12 bumper wagon wheel....People will be amazed that you can line your dog to a particular bumper....it will be a relatively quick drill as well....

are you allowed to use live birds? are your dogs good with live birds? People are always amazed that my dogs retrieve birds without killing them...not sure if this would be a 'politically' correct thing to do for the uninitiated....

run a poison bird blind...explain the hunting scenario where this would be a realistic hunting scenario...

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

I have done something similar but at an elementary school and got one of the students to send my dog and accept the bumper, the kids really loved it and then everyone wanted to try it..keep it simple and dont try and show off too much...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Have one of your coworkers hide a simple blind and you can whistle sit and cast to the blihd.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    run a poison bird blind...explain the hunting scenario where this would be a realistic hunting scenario...
    Yep! I always incorporate that into a demo. I always set up some kind of hunting scenario and explain what is going on and why, e.g. sending on name on marks vs. "back" on blinds (related to a hunting scenari with two dogs) and do some of it on steroids, e.g. some 200 yard marks, one 250 + yard blind. I always explain the importance of distance ("if I drop all my ducks at 15 yards, I don't need a dog"). Normally, my setup would be along the lines of a delayed quad with the first bird being a poison bird, a blind within less than 5 yards past the poison bird, pick up the marks, poison bird last (memory thing) and then a monster blind. If possible, I try to do it sitting on a bucket and using primer loads to actually simulate hunting. If I can't use birds, I use Dokkens.

There are plenty of things that can be done and, certainly, showing control is a big thing, but drills may appear to the novice as just "tricks" in my opinion. Using some sort of hunting setup gives them a context.
    HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart (Little Guy)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006. I miss you, buddy.
    and HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008. I miss you, Baby Girl.

www.meglynretrievers.com

It doesn't matter what you do they will be impressed. For the last 4 years I have demos for the NWTF Jakes day to the county to my east, NWTF state jakes day this year, and our local NWTF the last 2 years. And although these are turkey people and most of them kids they love it. Multiple marks are ok but what they really like is the handeling. I usally start with a double and then run 2-3 blinds with a poison bird to show control.
    Joe Dutro
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    and then a monster blind. If possible, I try to do it sitting on a bucket and using primer loads to actually simulate hunting. If I can't use birds, I use Dokkens.
    Hey Don, I live in the bay area. If I used a primer load I would have SWAT all over my butt!! I hear you though on the tricks versus control.

For the large group at work, I plan to do this:

For the 2 year old Qualifying dog, I plan to have somebody plant a 250 yard blind and then I will have somebody throw a poison bird.

For the 1 year old, I will proably just wait for the retrieving demo or do the Double T.

People are always amazed how you can stop a dog and cast. Even when I do wagon wheels on off days. So this should be entertaining. There should be about 75 people watching.

---------------------------------------
    For the retrieving demo, I plan to run a big time FT land/water triple with a retired gun for the 2 year old, and run a single and a double for the 1 year old with no retired guns.

There are 5-8 people who want to see the big setup and I have to train the dogs anyways, so I actually get throwing help for once.

This should be doable within the time limits that I have.
    Last edited by Loren Crannell; 10-28-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Halstead View Post
    Have one of your coworkers hide a simple blind and you can whistle sit and cast to the blihd.
    I like it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I have done something similar but at an elementary school and got one of the students to send my dog and accept the bumper, the kids really loved it and then everyone wanted to try it..keep it simple and dont try and show off too much...
    If I ever did a demo for kids, I would certainly have them run the dogs. Very empowering for them!