The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. was 'hell bent' on Iraq war, U.K. envoy says

Banned

Default U.S. was 'hell bent' on Iraq war, U.K. envoy says

Bush administration didn't care about getting U.N. support, he tells inquiry

20 minutes ago
    LONDON - The United States was "hell bent" on a 2003 military invasion of Iraq and actively undermined efforts by Britain to win international authorization for the war, a former British diplomat told an inquiry Friday.
    Jeremy Greenstock, British ambassador to the United Nations from 1998 to 2003, said that President George W. Bush had no real interest in attempts to agree on a U.N. resolution to provide explicit backing for the conflict.
    The ex-diplomat, who served as Britain's envoy in Iraq after the invasion, said serious preparations for the war had begun in early 2002 and took on an unstoppable momentum

Several nations had hoped to stall the invasion of Iraq to allow U.N. weapons inspectors more time to search for evidence that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction the key justification for the war. No such weapons were ever found.
    Yet Bush's inner circle cared little about what international allies thought and refused to halt plans to invade in March 2003, Greenstock said. He said even Blair was unable to persuade Bush, winning only a brief hiatus of two weeks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34172972...d_news-europe/

""The United States was not proactively supportive of the U.K.'s efforts and seemed to be preparing for conflict whatever the U.K. decided to do," Greenstock wrote in his statement."

Doesn't "seemed to be" indicate speculation?

Or does "seemed to be" indicate fact to you??

just askin'
    Stan b & Elvis

Roger

In case you have been sleeping for the last 200+ years, the United States of America is a sovereign nation. It does not need UN approval or even support from our friends to go to war.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Roger

In case you have been sleeping for the last 200+ years, the United States of America is a sovereign nation. It does not need UN approval or even support from our friends to go to war.
    Don't you read your Weekly Reader?

The UN is utopia for the world!!
    Stan b & Elvis

This is so amusing. About the only person around here that is "hell bent" is you, Roger. As you continue to 'take it' for the Obama administration, do you think the time will come when it might begin to hurt?

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Banned

Of course this IS news from today not last year or 8 years ago. It just goes to show that there was no stopping Bush from invading Iraq. Bush did not even want to give inspectors more time to look for the infamous WMD. That is why the U.N. did not help in either the invasion or rebuilding of Iraq which is one of the reasons we have such a huge deficit.

Could you refresh my memory, how many UN resolutions was Iraq in violation of? What agreements did Iraq enter into after the war, and then violate? Should there have been any enforcement of these resolutions?

How is this news to anyone?? Americans knew this as well. Approximately 50% of Americans did not support the invasion based upon polls at the time. I'm operating on memory alone, but the nation was split pretty much down the middle. This is with the completely wrong intel that was provided. To say the administration was "hell bent" should not raise any eyebrows. Common sense and a clear recollection shows this. I'm not saying that I didn't support the invasion, per se, due to the U.N. violations. What I am saying is that once an administration has power, it's out of the hands of the American peoples thoughts, feelings, polls, desires. The Bush admnistration demonstrated this to the fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by whelchel View Post
    How is this news to anyone?? Americans knew this as well. Approximately 50% of Americans did not support the invasion based upon polls at the time. I'm operating on memory alone, but the nation was split pretty much down the middle. This is with the completely wrong intel that was provided. To say the administration was "hell bent" should not raise any eyebrows. Common sense and a clear recollection shows this. I'm not saying that I didn't support the invasion, per se, due to the U.N. violations. What I am saying is that once an administration has power, it's out of the hands of the American peoples thoughts, feelings, polls, desires. The Bush admnistration demonstrated this to the fullest.

No...the Bush administration did what America, and I remind you, the majority of your waffling democrat leaders in congess wanted their President to do after 9/11. You are just upset he didn't do what his predecessor would have done...NOTHING, except consult with an intern.

But then you MUST be proud of the current resident in the Whitehouse eh? Can't find any fault with the way he's handling things, right?

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

It is long past the time to kick the UN out of the US and get the US out of the UN. We pay their bills so that they can hate America.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!