RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GRHRCH/MH trainer in GA/NC/SC

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  GulfCoast 
#1 ·
I saw a thread about pros in the GA/NC/SC area but I was wondering if any of them focus on HRCH Grands rather then FT. By that I mean, not just a HT pro that focus on local HRC events and getting HRCH titles, but some one who goes to the Grand on a regular basis and has success getting dogs Grand titles. I am looking within 8 hours of Atlanta.

I have a young dog (10 months) that was with HT pro and has done all his yard work, Ts, swim buy...ect.. now I am looking for someone to work with over the next few years to get him from transition (seasoned) to the grand.

However, one though was to put him with a Field Trial trainer for the winter to get him tons of marks. FT pros seem to do more marking work where he is lacking some (the HT pro did great work with him but not as much marking work as I would like to see). But then I need to get him to someone who focuses on grand work.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Look at the pros that finished the last grand, there a lot in your area.

#5 ·
Jerry Day knows how to play all the games, AKC H.T. and F.T., HRC and SRS, and he can train a dog, too. Plus it would be worth the training fee just to be around he and Miss Jean. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a reference or two from folks on this board.
Understatement regards,
Becky

#7 · (Edited)
Plus it would be worth the training fee just to be around he and Miss Jean. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a reference or two from folks on this board.
Understatement regards,
Becky

Amen to the training fee fringe benefits! They are both wonderful people! If you put your dog with Jerry, then expect to be welcome anytime at their place and also encouraged to visit as often as you can and help throw marks. The added benefit in turn is that you will also meet and get to know some other fine folks that are also clients that are there quite often. I do agree with Mike Perry as right now most of us with Jerry have young dogs, but please don't let me speak out of turn as I'm just a "started" owner myself! Of course the best way to get the scoop is to give Jerry a call. He is also one of the hardest working men I've ever met!

#12 · (Edited)
Stacey West at Fowl Creek Kennels has a strong track record at the HRC Grand and is back concentrating soley on HT dogs. A new, hvac'ed state of the art kennel facility is a nice place for your dog to rest between training sessions as well. Look him up at www.fowldogs.com.

Ditto my bet would be to talk with Stacey, he's has 2 bitches hes' made into Grand champions, and he knows your game inside and out.

#10 ·
Steven Durrence in Sylvania,Ga is the man your looking for.He takes 8 dogs to the Grand every year and his training is very grand standard oriented.
A situation very simular to yours; A friend of mine has a dog that he had with another trainer who trained hin through his HRCH/MH titles,but did'nt pass the grand.Steven has had the dog the past year on and off and went two for two passing the last two grands!!! www.taylorfarmkennels.com

#11 ·
Steven Durrence in Sylvania,Ga is the man your looking for.He takes 8 dogs to the Grand every year and his training is very grand standard oriented.
A situation very simular to yours; A friend of mine has a dog that he had with another trainer who trained hin through his HRCH/MH titles,but did'nt pass the grand.Steven has had the dog the past year on and off and went two for two passing the last two grands!!! www.taylorfarmkennels.com
Steve is doing a great job with the dogs he is training!

ALso in the area would be David Barnes, Danny Sanders and Mike Pierce.

#14 ·
Correction!!!!!!!

I spoke with Jerry Day this weekend and he has dogs in training now of all ages. He has the young guys of course but all of his dogs are seeing all age marks every day and progressing through advanced training as their ability allows.
Could not be a better dog guy and he has given tremendously to the sport over the years.
Jerry has trained some outstanding fogs and competed successfully at all levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.