The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: repeat blinds...

Banned

Default repeat blinds...

we have discussed ad nauseaum about the merits - or lack there of - of running repeat marks. but what about cold blinds?

obviously a repeat cold blind is an oxymoron, but do any of you do them? say you are trying to hammer in a certain concept, slicing off a thin section of a creek, hill, whatever, so you place 2 bumpers at the spot so you run a cold blind forcing the dog to overcome the concept then run it again to imbed the confidence.

for instance today i placed 4 cold blinds with 2 bumpers at each spot, ran each, then did 2 single marks from the bumper boy (under the arc and side suction), then the repeat blinds but in a different order than before. all at about 200 yds.

any positive or negative comments on this drill??

David,

It's not a poison practice, although that's a perception people often get. I am only one of many who advise against the practice, and almost never do it. I just think there are far more productive ways of getting across a particular concept without sending a dog back to the same destination - a behavior that can tend to put a dog back in the truck, rather than into the next series.

I prefer to run drills like Tune-up's, that can be arranged to re-expose the dog to the same concept on sequential cold blinds from different angles.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

[QUOTE=Evan;519819
    I ... almost never do it.

Evan[/QUOTE]

David,
    On the positive side: I sometimes do it.

I will not repeat it immediately or as the dog's next retrieve but when dealing with a younger/less experienced dog that may have shown some signs of confusion en route or that missed a key cast I'll repeat it. There are certain concepts/pictures on blinds that I can not duplicate on the grounds available so repeating can be my best option.
    I do not make repeating standard operating procedure but "Never say never" or always.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    David,
    On the positive side: I sometimes do it.

I will not repeat it immediately or as the dog's next retrieve but when dealing with a younger/less experienced dog that may have shown some signs of confusion en route or that missed a key cast I'll repeat it. There are certain concepts/pictures on blinds that I can not duplicate on the grounds available so repeating can be my best option.
    I do not make repeating standard operating procedure but "Never say never" or always.

Tim
    thanks - i dont do them a lot and will temper down even more. also, i agree - never run them back to back.