RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

repeat blinds...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  david gibson 
#1 ·
we have discussed ad nauseaum about the merits - or lack there of - of running repeat marks. but what about cold blinds?

obviously a repeat cold blind is an oxymoron, but do any of you do them? say you are trying to hammer in a certain concept, slicing off a thin section of a creek, hill, whatever, so you place 2 bumpers at the spot so you run a cold blind forcing the dog to overcome the concept then run it again to imbed the confidence.

for instance today i placed 4 cold blinds with 2 bumpers at each spot, ran each, then did 2 single marks from the bumper boy (under the arc and side suction), then the repeat blinds but in a different order than before. all at about 200 yds.

any positive or negative comments on this drill??

#2 ·
David,

It's not a poison practice, although that's a perception people often get. I am only one of many who advise against the practice, and almost never do it. I just think there are far more productive ways of getting across a particular concept without sending a dog back to the same destination - a behavior that can tend to put a dog back in the truck, rather than into the next series.

I prefer to run drills like Tune-up's, that can be arranged to re-expose the dog to the same concept on sequential cold blinds from different angles.

Evan

#3 ·
Evan;519819 I ... almost never do it. Evan[/QUOTE said:
David,
On the positive side: I sometimes do it.

I will not repeat it immediately or as the dog's next retrieve but when dealing with a younger/less experienced dog that may have shown some signs of confusion en route or that missed a key cast I'll repeat it. There are certain concepts/pictures on blinds that I can not duplicate on the grounds available so repeating can be my best option.
I do not make repeating standard operating procedure but "Never say never" or always.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.