RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Master National running order #115

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kristie Wilder 
#1 · (Edited)
Master National running order #115?

I never noticed until recently that #115 in the MN running order is listed as "retired". I've learned since that the retired number is to honor a dog who had #115 and died during the running of the MN some time in the 1990s. Does anyone know the full story? Just curious.

#2 ·
I don't remember the dog's name, but I believe it was the male lab that broke his back trying to jump a ditch. It was either late 90's or early 2000's.

dawn

#4 ·
SEA TAC'S ODIN, MH, LM 9-27-91
Owner: Gregg Mourges, Bothell, WA
Handler: Gregg Mourges *** (HONORARY) ***
1996 Master National

Those of us that were there will never forget this tragic accident. There was a hole in some cover that many dogs had gone through, but when Odin was running he fell into the hole, breaking his spine and had to be euthanized.

#6 ·
Mostlygold...actually, the ditch you mentioned was really a very deep wash out that wasn't visible. It was hiden in the middle (on line) of a 10 foot high, wide wall of cover. The judges didn't know it was there nor did the HT Marshal. I assume no one had walked through the cover to see if there was a possible hazard in the "run off" waterway.
I was there, in a holding blind and heard the dog scream. The test was halted until the Busch Wildlife crew came in with a back hoe and a dump truck load of dirt to fill in the hazard. The dog wasn't killed in the accident, but was put down at the Vet's office and then buried on Tommy Sorensons property. It was a sad day for everyone, to say the least.
Bob

#7 ·
I was there also, working as a bird steward, and it was indeed tragic. The party I was with helped carry the dog from the ditch to the owners vehicle. The whole rest of the event was very somber.

How many remember the waterblind and where the judges sat? That was something that also will be remembered along with a diversion bird that came pretty close to a few dogs and if my memory is correct did hit one dog. Oh, I can't leave out the line and the creep line.

Cindy R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.