RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GDG Has anyone else had this stupid swine flu???

5K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  traklover 
G
#1 ·
I'm about to suck it up and go to the doctor... I've tried to wait it out, but it's only getting worse...

Stepped out of the truck after getting home from MN and have been sick since. Heard there were a few others that came back with it.

I'm to the point where I'm a week into a fever. Now I feel like I have rice krispies from my lungs up to the back of my throat and if I lay down, they get worse. And all I want to TRY to do is sleep... Plus my back is tender to the touch, like it's bruised. I'm miserable... I have SO much to do and that stress isn't helping.

Seems like others who have had it have gotten over it more quickly. I felt good for a day and went out training (saturday) and it's been downhill ever since... Probably a bad idea to have gone out.

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who's had it. I've just never been sick like this...

-K

#2 ·
My wife and 5 year old daughter both had it. My wife started Tamiflu before she had any symptoms, and my daughter started it shortly after we figured out that she had it. It was pretty rough on my daughter, but it was short lived. Neither had to spend any time in the hospital, but my daughter came close.

#3 ·
Kristie- so sorry you are ill.
Sounds gross but hot lemonaid will kick butt on your fever. If you cant stomach that then lots of water with lemon for re-hydration.
Hope you feel better soon.

#4 ·
I am pretty sure my son is home sick with it...he has been off an on with a fever for the last few days, and started a cough today..It has been going around the school and through his hockey team as well...I am surprised I have not had it yet, since I work at the grocery store as a checker...

Ge Better Kristie! DRINK LOTS OF LIQUIDS! And go to the doc....you've been sick long enough to warrant a visit...IMO

Juli

#5 ·
My girl friend has had it the last three days and I’m coming down with it as I type. The last hour muscles are getting achy and getting the chills going to be a fun week. Two more hours of work and home to work my dog, then off to bed. It’s not fun my girl friend is complaining of the same sorry to here you have it take care and good luck.

#7 ·
Got this from a "dog" friend. Might be of some use..... Note: not from a Dr.

Hopefully none of you will need this or get the flu but I thought this would be very good info to have.

H1N1 flu is here and we need to be on top of information regarding it. Here is a comparison to the normal cold symptoms .

Know the Difference between a Cold and H1N1 Flu Symptoms:

Symptom of:
1. Cold 2. H1N1 Flu

Fever
1. Fever is rare with a cold.
2. Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flu cases. A temperature of 100°F or higher for 3 to 4 days is associated with the H1N1 flu.

Coughing
1. A hacking, productive (mucus- producing) cough is often present with a cold.
2. A non-productive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with the H1N1 flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough).

Aches
1. Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.
2. Severe aches and pains are common with the H1N1 flu.

Stuffy Nose
1. Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week.
2. Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the H1N1 flu.

Chills
1. Chills are uncommon with a cold.
2. 60% of people who have theH1N1 flu experience chills.

Tiredness
1. Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.
2. Tiredness is moderate to severe with the H1N1 flu.

Sneezing
1. Sneezing is commonly present with a cold.
2. Sneezing is not common with theH1N1 flu.

Sudden Symptoms
1. Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.
2. The H1N1 flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flu hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains.

Headache
1. A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.
2. A headache is very common with the H1N1 flu, present in 80% of flu cases.

Sore Throat
1. Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.
2. Sore throat is not commonly present with the H1N1 flu.

Chest Discomfort
1. Chest discomfort is mild to moderate with a cold.
2. Chest discomfort is often severe with the H1N1 flu.

The only way to stop the spread of the epidemic is to spread the awareness.

#8 ·
Kristie, I hope you feel better soon. My unprofessional medical advice would be to go to the doctor! My Aunt passed away a couple day ago from what we are suspecting as complications from H1N1. She was sick on Tuesday but just thought she would get over it fairly quick. She was single, never married and lived alone - 60 yrs old. She had a lot of family and friends she could have called on but, never did. Yesterday, she missed her church meetings without telling anyone (she would always let someone know if she couldn't be to something) and people got worried. Family called and no answer so police were called and my mom and aunt and uncle met them over there. The police went in and discovered that she had passed away. It was determined that she likely passed away a couple days ago.

We have had a few cases around here where otherwise perfectly healthy people all the sudden get hit with the H1N1 and pass away very quickly. I have had a bro in law and cousins on my wifes side that got it. They were misearble for a few days and then it started going away. Who knows.....

G
#11 ·
I'm watching the local ER wait time... Will go when it goes down. I assume, and may be wrong... That my fever went away bc Andrew and I sat on the couch with chills, sweats, etc. Then felt decent for about 1/2 day, then crappy again. Fever is around 100... So not terrible. Right now, I feel better than I did a little while ago when I first posted this, but am sure I'll feel like crap again here shortly... I don't feel like having pneumonia either... But I need to feel better as this has gone on too long. Thanks for all the great info. I have many people making sure I take care of myself... I don't feel like dying, either... I know that can come on quickly.

-K

#13 ·
It knocked me out for over a week. Fever only laste 36 hours but the crud feeling was at least 10 days.

The kids shared with me from school.

Carol

#14 ·
Kristie,

I have it right now. I'm on day 6. I would highly suggest disregarding the wait time at the ER and go get treated. If you go right now and wait 6 hours or you stay at home for 10 hours waiting on the time to go down and then it takes 2 hours once you're there, was it really worth it? No one wants to wait in the ER, but the sooner you go, the sooner you'll be feeling better. This is not something you want to wait on. I waited until day 4 to go and the Dr. told me it was a good thing I came when I did. Tell them you want to sleep. They've got me on enough medicine to knock out a bull. Every time I wake up, I down 64 oz. of gatorade and wait until I pass back out. I'm feeling better by the day.

Just my two cents, but I'm dealing with it right now so I figured I'd pitch 'em in.

G
#15 · (Edited)
I'm about to suck it up and go to the doctor... I've tried to wait it out, but it's only getting worse...

Stepped out of the truck after getting home from MN and have been sick since. Heard there were a few others that came back with it.

I'm to the point where I'm a week into a fever. Now I feel like I have rice krispies from my lungs up to the back of my throat and if I lay down, they get worse. And all I want to TRY to do is sleep... Plus my back is tender to the touch, like it's bruised. I'm miserable... I have SO much to do and that stress isn't helping.

Seems like others who have had it have gotten over it more quickly. I felt good for a day and went out training (saturday) and it's been downhill ever since... Probably a bad idea to have gone out.

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who's had it. I've just never been sick like this...

-K
Earlier this year I had something that sounds very similar to what you are describing. I was positive it was flu but all my swabs were negative. I had 16 days of a low-grade fever that would spike as high as 103 from time to time. It probably wouldn't have lasted that long but I may or may not have participated in some fairly grueling hog hunts while I was sick.

I finally said "I've never been sick like this before. Something is wrong, a medical opinion is warranted." I went to the doctor, had the nasal swabs - no flu. Had bloodwork done twice to eliminate the possibility of hepatitis. Finally the doctor said "I don't know what is wrong with you but you're otherwise healthy and I don't think it's worth your money to try to identify exactly what this is." Basically, take two of these and call me in the morning. If you have a bloodwork done tell me if your liver enzyme is elevated. You may be prescribed a Z-pack if your lungs sound pretty funky, but I think that's more prophylaxis for pneumonia than direct treatment. It definitely didn't make me feel any better, at any rate.

Even if it is flu, you're too far along to benefit from Tamiflu. I would probably advise staying out of the ER. Make an appointment with your internist and get a meaningful consultation. There probably isn't much a doctor will be able to do other than give you some peace of mind anyway.

#16 ·
Krisite, I am so sorry you are so sick! As KG said, I think it has to run its course, but you must take Tylenoel every 4 hours for the fever to keep it down, plenty of liquids and soup. And mostly just rest (sounds crazy for a dog trainer, but thats what you have to do) both my children had it (26 and 28) with fevers for about 4 days but got over it. They are both healthy, so we were thankful it didn't stay with either of them long! Just mainly get rest. Sue Shaw

#17 ·
Kristie,
Get to the doctor's office. This far into symptoms, they may give you tamiflu, but it really works best in the first 48 hours. You can also get a secondary bacterial pneumonia, which would need to be treated.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Chicken soup never hurts regards,
dave

G
#18 ·
Been eating tons of chicken soup and oj... I don't think I'm hydrating enough. I've been sleeping nonstop. I have a doc appt at 2:30 tomorrow. I hate the local ER and docs pretty much with a vengeance... I want to avoid them if at all possible. I'm looking forward going to a "real" doctor based on referral of people I trust... Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice.

#19 ·
Was at the drs. friday (for an entirely different concern... allergies) -- he gave me an Rx for Tamiflu "just in case". But, he did say that if I started having symptoms (i.e. fever, body aches, cough) to start the Tamiflu & call their office immediately. He had it himself and he ended up with pnemonia on top of the swine flu. Said it took him 10 days to start feeling better -- and he's a doctor treating himself! Glad you have an appt. tomorrow.... from what he told me friday -- you definitely need to seek medical attention if you get the swine flu.

#20 ·
Glad you're getting to the doc. A friend lost her healthy 30 yr old niece to swine flu a few weeks ago. Scary stuff, but probably no more than the usual flu can be. I got a flu bug last year and ended up with pneumonia, it was horrible. Took a month because I waited too long to get help.

Good Luck and Feel Better Soon, the dogs can wait, a few days off training won't hurt them.....

Kris

#21 ·
Last week on Monday at about noon I was feeling a little funky; on the way home from work, I bought a thermometer and Advil.... Except for yesterday, since then I've done nothing but cough and sleep. I haven't been this sick since I was a kid. Finally broke down yesterday on the way home from a dog obligation and went to the Urgent Care, and got a diagnosis, some heavy-duty cough syrup, and an antibiotic for an ear infection.

So don't skip your doctor's appointment. It's nasty stuff. I can see how the flu can kill a person. I'm still feeling bad, and don't really see an end yet. When I'm laying down I'm okay, but once I'm up for 20 minutes...

Ugh. Back to bed.

G
#24 ·
Going at 2:30 today... I don't feel near as weak as I felt yesterday, but feel like I have lungs full of rice krispies and gravel... Seems like this stuff fakes you out though; makes you think you're ok then you're not then you are then you're not. Can't wait to get to the doc...

Thanks for all the info/advice/wellwishes.

-K

#25 ·
Glad you are going to the Doc. It seems alot of cases go quickly into pneumonia and that is what is killing people. I think my daughters and I had it back in May. We caught it from a friend who had just returned from a trip overseas.

#26 ·
A friend has his wife in the hospital and she is almost brain dead from this crap, dont mess around with it Kristie, she was feeling better than crashed quick...

#27 ·
I can't believe how many people here know other people that have been hospitalized due to H1N1 or even died...Scary stuff and sad! :(...If I get it, I am NOT taking chances...

keskam, I hope your friend's wife pulls through...

Juli

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.