RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pet Insurance

42K views 120 replies 54 participants last post by  John Shoffner 
#1 ·
Need some input on Pet Insurance

I have been using PetsBest and until recently have been very happy. Premiums reasonable, service good, and quick turnaround with claims.

However, PetsBest has switched insurance carriers and premiums have increased by 25%.

Looked at AKC. Better price, but low yearly incident coverage ($3000)

Looked at ASPCA. Better price, but also low yearly incident coverage ($3000)

PetsBest covers up to $7000 per incident

Any other ideas?

#85 ·
PetPlan has recently changed carriers and the premiums will go up a little but ER coverage goes from 70% to 80%. I had trouble with the online quoter so I emailed and then called the rep to set up another dog. The costs are very dependent on zip code and breed. I again compared coverage with other companies and they are themost reasonable and cover ACL. In the AKC plan the cost was almost 4X to cover a possible double acl.

#86 ·
I've had VPI for 13 years on my oldest dog, and they've been only okay. She's been very healthy, their premiums are low, so it hasn't been an issue.
But I do have their schedule of payments, and I can tell you it hasn't changed in the entire 13 years!!! So for example, they would have paid $250 (I'm making up the number) for a broken leg 13 years ago, they will still only pay $250 now. I've asked them any number of times whether they EVER plan to adjust that upward based on how much vet costs have increased in that time frame, and they just mutter excuses.
Obviously, I can't change coverage on my 13-1/2 or my 12-1/2 year old.
My 3 year old is still with VPI mostly due to inertia on my part, but his premiums are only $10 a month so I guess you get what you pay for.

#87 ·
I signed up with PetPlan the 1st of last August, wish I had seen this thread then, but looks like I made a good choice. Like Ted, I was interested in coverage for the major problems. Anyway, a week later I had to take the dog to the vet for a removal of a foreign object (large splinter) from her hind leg. I submitted my claim to PetPlan last Friday and will keep you posted on how the company worked this out.

I have looked on line to check the status of my claim and so far it does not list the claim. Also when I signed up in August I clicked the link to add a vet as my vet was not listed, so far that vet has not shown up on the web site. Anyway, I will let you all know how quickly this claim is resolved.

#89 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Healthy paws insurance? Reading through what is covered it seems that they cover as much with less exclussions than Pet plan. The monthly premiums are within a couple dollars per month for similar coverage. I haven't seen anything about this company.

#90 ·
Very good thread, as I too am in the market for ins. on the new pup... I have it narrowed down to PetPlan, Embrace, and Trupanion... Does anyone have experience with Trupanion.(My wife's work has a discount offer with Trupanion) I have not seen any info or reviews on this policy. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance , Jim

#92 ·
Thanks for that site-
Carbon (5 year old golden) is insured by pet plan, my new puppy will be purina. I like Pets Best, but they will not cover cancer sometimes, as they consider some types hereditary. Since that is the main reason I got it for Carbon, I am glad I have pet plan, may switch to purina next year-

#95 ·
It wasn't offered thru EE, just a group discount, with Pet Plan, but they only give so much discount so if you already qualify with multiple pets, etc, it won't discount it any further. I have Petplan on most of my dogs, works like a charm, haven't used it yet. The ones not covered, though, more than make up for it :).

#96 · (Edited)
Went straight to the horse's mouth with Trupanion. Did a live chat with a representative who wound up talking to a claims adjuster.

Question: Will my dog be covered if injured running Field Trials and Hunt Tests. (didn't mention training).
Answer: He will not be covered if he is racing it is in the exclusions

My Answer: He will not be racing
Racing Dog – A dog which is owned and maintained for the purpose of competing in organized
races or speed tests (their definition from exclusions page)

She talked to the claims adjuster and found they had a change from their previous policy to include Hunting so therefore he would be covered.
Hope this helps and makes sense.

They do not cover injury from Nuclear Kinetic Actions

#97 ·
I am seriously considering insurance. I'm in the process of dropping 7.5K on tendon repair and an obstruction. Perfect timing for the two. I'm sure once I get the insurance I'll never use but it would have been nice to have.

#100 ·
FinnLandR,

Thanks for the comparison chart. Have been w/VPI for years. Started w/them years ago, after my older girl blew her ACL. Sure was glad 2-yrs later, when she blew the other one. Another time she got into some wire & ripped opened her fore arm, needed stitches. Another time she sliced her chest open some how. Seems I'm always justifying the premiums each year. But now that I'm reviewing the policys, looks like I'm headed for PetPlan USA. Will need to do some more homework, but at 1st glance they seem to have'em all beat. I also like the fact that they have some Pregnancy Coverage & sure hope we never need it.

#102 ·
Really helpful thread, thanks everyone! I signed my 3yr chocolate male up for PetPlan today after much deliberation and about 5 phone calls to them.

I also wanted to add that you can increase your coverage once during the annual term with them, and decrease any time you want. I'm not sure if this is standard, but good to know.

#103 ·
I insured Rowdy (DOB 3/26/12) with Pet Plan Silver. It was $196.80 per year. There was a discount if you paid annually rather than monthly.

#104 ·
Need some input on Pet Insurance

I have been using PetsBest and until recently have been very happy. Premiums reasonable, service good, and quick turnaround with claims.

However, PetsBest has switched insurance carriers and premiums have increased by 25%.
I am a long time PetsBest customer and have been pleased with their coverage.

Unfortunately, PetsBest has switched carriers yet again. They have moved from Aetna to Independence American Insurance Company and their rates have increased significantly.

The premiums for Sinner's coverage have gone up from $69/month to $230/month...an increase of 350%

I cancelled the policy this upon receiving the new rate.

#106 ·
i am a long time petsbest customer and have been pleased with their coverage.

Unfortunately, petsbest has switched carriers yet again. They have moved from aetna to independence american insurance company and their rates have increased significantly.

The premiums for sinner's coverage have gone up from $69/month to $230/month...an increase of 350%

i cancelled the policy this upon receiving the new rate.
holy moly!!!!!!!!!

#105 ·
I am very happy with Pet Plan and have received numerous PM from others who have also been pleased with Pet Plan. I switched to Pet Plan in 2009, have made numerous claims on various dogs, and have received uniformly prompt service. All claims made have been reimbursed with minimal hassle.

#109 ·
Thanks Ted I've been recommending PetPlan to others as well. I stayed with PetsBest because they had a single incident limit of $14,000. I hope I never need a limit that high again (been there, done that). Trying to decide whether to re-enroll a retired 11 y.o. dog.

#110 ·
I'm still working on the SS numbers so I can claim them as dependents and avoid an audit. God knows how my deadbeat tenants I evicted got away with what they did on the tax forms we found in the house.

#111 ·
OK, Not to sound too ignorant.. But Im curious a bit more on Pet Insurance.

I have my Barrel Horses Covered: Their Mortality policies have a payout if they die ($15k-$35K) based on their value

I also have a Major Medical plan on one of them.. It provides for veterinary care for a MAJOR injury.. like if they need surgery or significant rehab.

From what I understand, pet insurance is like the major medical portion?

With my horses, I cant get a Major Med policy unless I have a Mortality policy... But that does not seem to be true with dogs?

#114 ·
Many of our clients use Trupanion and are very happy. They cover either 80 or 90% of the bill and even cover medications. Many of our oncology patients use this plan as well. Not sure what premiums currently run.

Dawn

#117 ·
premium seem a little higher at first, however in speaking with them and getting a price quote, they hold their premiums better over the life of the dog. whereas Petplan goes up exponentially. Trupanion bases their increases on vet pricing in the market area. so the premium increases don't go up nearly as much. At pet plan they are basing it on the age of the dog as well as claims paid.

I have never had an issue with VPI. I have two older dogs on that policy. My vet however has indicated that many many people have problems with VPI, as well as Pet Plan.

#116 ·
Funny this topic came up again. After going through this whole topic last week again, I just enrolled the new pup in PetPlan. The three others are still with VPI, whom I've had no problems with. I think I am going to switch the youngest over to PetPlan too though. Coverage is just better with PetPlan. It's not worth it to switch the two other dogs that are older. Too many things they would consider pre-existing.

VPI has been great...but they only cover 80% of what they say is the cost. It's very different than actual cost. I feel that though they have been great over the last 8 years, they need to change their reimbursement structure. So....Pet Plan for the pup and they youngest dog now...

#118 ·
#119 ·
I've had multiple Labradors on Petplan for years (started with VPI but they were a joke). No problems with claims, though I haven't had many, the ones I did, made it worth it. Oldest dog was 8, her premium went up a little bit as she got older but not a huge amount, as have the premiums in general over the years, but not greatly, like that increase on Jeff's, yowza. I do recommend vet insurance for my puppy buyers and give them the pet insurance review site that Ted linked. I tell them my experience but they need to shop and make their own decisions. Most that do it, choose Petplan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.