The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food stamps with CASH benefits

Default food stamps with CASH benefits

And I'm not talking about selling them illegally...

I had no idea there were some cases where people could buy non food items, or even get CASH back when using their foodstamp card...

Last night had a guy come in and buy several items with is F/S card. Then he put down a snickers bar and bought that with the F/S card (different transaction). He wanted cash back but forgot to push the cash back button on the CC machine. So he bought another candy bar and this time got $10 cash back, the receipt that the store kept said 'cash benefits'.... wonder if he went to the licquor store to buy his beer with that $10....

Oh, and I had another guy come in and ask if he could buy dog food with his F/S card, I said no.....Then he said, all right, guess I'll have to buy hamburger again. Been out of dog food for 2 days and have to cook my dog's meals with burger....

sad, but true....

the sad part is that the store has a Christmas tree with 'turkey' tags...Take a tag off the tree, buy a turkey and donate it to the food bank..Since I have been working at the store and seen the misuse of F/S, I have a really hard time with the Turkey tree (and our local food bank)....However, I did suck it up and buy a turkey to donate...I don't want a few (or a lot of) bad apples to keep someone who really needs the help to have a good thanksgiving dinner....

Juli
    Last edited by Juli H; 11-13-2009 at 11:35 PM.
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Good for you Juli. There has not been a program invented in the course of human history that has not been abused by those who have no sense of right or wrong, but thats not to say the program doesn't help many who need and appreciate it. It breaks my heart to think that there are kids who wake up on Christmas day with no presents, no Christmas dinners, and most likely, no fathers. Sad part is, without any role models or guidance, they are likely to grow up just like their parents, and perpetuate the cycle.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Around here, the nere do wells who have what is known as an Independence Card(food stamp replacement) use it regularly to buy crack. They simply give it to the pusher to take to an ATM and remove the price of rock from the buyers account. What a crock.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Banned

Talking about charities, A local radio station has a charity drive all year long with events like bowling tournaments, golf tournaments, dog washings and raffle and auction items to raise money to buy Christmas gifts for the less fortunate local kids. All the money earned or donated, goes to buy gifts and not into someone's pocket. The name of the charity is the "Love Doctors Charity". People donate unwrapped toys, give cash and even donate their time to attend wrapping parties to wrap toys for all the little boys and girls who otherwise would not have much of a Christmas. There are also volunteers to deliver the toys to each needy household.

If you want to buy some raffle tickets ( a lot of nice prizes can be had) while helping out local underpriveledged children please go to www.lovedoctors.org and purchase some tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    And I'm not talking about selling them illegally...

I had no idea there were some cases where people could buy non food items, or even get CASH back when using their foodstamp card...

Juli

LInk cards cover both food stamp benefits and if applicable welfare cash payments.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    It breaks my heart to think that there are kids who wake up on Christmas day with no presents, no Christmas dinners, and most likely, no fathers. Sad part is, without any role models or guidance, they are likely to grow up just like their parents, and perpetuate the cycle.
    You're sure about that? 1st - Xmas is a commercial holiday, 2nd - a lot of children rise above being like their parents. It has a lot to do with the expectations of society & how the world is presented to them. Some even rise above the expectations of society.

I suggest you read "Black Redneck - White Liberal" by Thomas Sowell so you attain a little recognition that it's people with attitudes like yours that are a greater deterrent to children achieving their status in life than any perceived lack of parental guidance.

Been there - done that, so I speak from experience.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    [FONT=Arial Black]
    I suggest you read "Black Redneck - White Liberal" by Thomas Sowell so you attain a little recognition that it's people with attitudes like yours that are a greater deterrent to children achieving their status in life than any perceived lack of parental guidance.

Been there - done that, so I speak from experience.
    I won't brag on my kids, but they're all doing just fine. I'm not sure I understand your attack on my attitude?? Are you saying all charities should be dissolved, as they are all deterrents to children achieving their status in life? Lets start with the United Way. Then rid ourselves of all those liberal Shriner's hospitals. Am I getting your message correctly?

The more I read on this forum, the more I worry about the future of this country. It's either Obama or THIS? God help us! What a choice!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your attack on my attitude?? Are you saying all charities should be dissolved, as they are all deterrents to children achieving their status in life? Lets start with the United Way. Then rid ourselves of all those liberal Shriner's hospitals. Am I getting your message correctly?

The more I read on this forum, the more I worry about the future of this country. It's either Obama or THIS? God help us! What a choice!
    I didn't see a single word about dissolving charities in Marvin's post. Based on Dr Sowell's other writings, it is more likely about the government's assumption of the "parent role" and his assertions that " the government employees who administered the [programs] cared not that they may be causing higher unemployment of the poor by enforcing that law; their primary concern was keeping their own jobs secure "

Charities though, are about goodwill & "choice", You can choose which one to give to support with your funds or efforts. The majority of charities try to build people up so they no longer need the assistance.
    Government, oth, is about force & takes your money and distributes it as IT sees fit, because it assumes it knows better than you where Your money should be spent and has been "anointed" to administer to the downtrodden . You, then, have less time to spend with your family or charitable efforts because you have to work more to replace what has been forcibly taken from you OR become more reliant upon a government program which perpetuates the vicious cycle.

The vision of the anointed relies heavily on sweepingly pessimistic assumptions about human nature, distrust of decentralized processes like the free market, impatience with systemic processes that constrain human action, and absent or distorted empirical evidence. It's constrained or tragic vision relies heavily on a reduced view of the goodness of human nature, and abhors the systematic processes of the rule of law and constitutional government.

Which do you feel sets a better positive parental guidance role model in order to break the cycle?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

I have had young couples with a baby on the way tell me that they CAN"T get married because the mother would loose her WIC benefits if she married the father of the baby. So they just lived together, and eventually the father left. The system is tantamount to saying, you don't need a father for your children, Uncle Sugar will be the daddy and you just jump through our hoops and let us raise your children. (That is exactly what is going on among the poor here)
    When government programs put barriers in the way of people who want to get married and raise their children then there is a very big problem.

It is a trade. Money and you won't have to work for complete control over your life.

No free lunch, not even on welfare
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post
    I have had young couples with a baby on the way tell me that they CAN"T get married because the mother would loose her WIC benefits if she married the father of the baby. So they just lived together, and eventually the father left. The system is tantamount to saying, you don't need a father for your children, Uncle Sugar will be the daddy and you just jump through our hoops and let us raise your children. (That is exactly what is going on among the poor here)
    When government programs put barriers in the way of people who want to get married and raise their children then there is a very big problem.

It is a trade. Money and you won't have to work for complete control over your life.

No free lunch, not even on welfare
    same can be said for any welfare program (F/S)...getting married usually means a loss of at least some benefits....
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein