The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: food stamps with CASH benefits

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    You're sure about that? 1st - Xmas is a commercial holiday, 2nd - a lot of children rise above being like their parents. It has a lot to do with the expectations of society & how the world is presented to them. Some even rise above the expectations of society.

I suggest you read "Black Redneck - White Liberal" by Thomas Sowell so you attain a little recognition that it's people with attitudes like yours that are a greater deterrent to children achieving their status in life than any perceived lack of parental guidance.

Been there - done that, so I speak from experience.
    I went back and re-read my post, and think one of us (or both) misunderstood. I was referring to the lack of PARENTAL guidance, perpetuating the cycle of gov't dependence. I did not mean to imply that the gov't should be a surrogate parent. Although having said that, I have seen kids from "disadvantaged" home situations excel in school programs that seemed to give them some direction and purpose, and just maybe, kept them out of trouble. We all have known teachers who are worth their weight in gold when it comes to motivating their students. Too bad they all can't be that way. But there is no substitute for caring, engaged parents.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I was referring to the lack of PARENTAL guidance,
    & I was referrring to those who go around handing out sympathy instead of telling children the real situation. I knew who my parents were & they lived as a shining example of what not to be. Fortunately I had no one I respected give me the garbage that the world owed me something because of the circumstances.

We all have known teachers who are worth their weight in gold when it comes to motivating their students.
    1 in the elementary grades, 1 in high school & many, but not all, in engineering school. Though many were examples of what you did not want to be in life.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

[QUOTE=Marvin S;525447]& I was referrring to those who go around handing out sympathy instead of telling children the real situation.

So how do you feel about the Shriner's hospitals and U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots program that hands out toys at Christmas to kids who wouldn't otherwise have any? Just curious.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

[quote=dnf777;525482]
    & I was referrring to those who go around handing out sympathy instead of telling children the real situation.

So how do you feel about the Shriner's hospitals and U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots program that hands out toys at Christmas to kids who wouldn't otherwise have any? Just curious.
    Shriners are fine - I find these "T4T" programs to be offensive as they teach something that is not in childrens best interests. Disappointment can be a great motivator at any age. JMO

There is no thrill as great as accomplishing something & knowing you did it all by yourself. Again JMO

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

[QUOTE=Marvin S;525627]
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Shriners are fine - I find these "T4T" programs to be offensive as they teach something that is not in childrens best interests. Disappointment can be a great motivator at any age. JMO

There is no thrill as great as accomplishing something & knowing you did it all by yourself. Again JMO
    I do not agree with the first statement, but I totally agree with the second. As far as teaching something or not, why does everything have to be a lesson? Sometimes, it's just good for kids to be kids and be able to enjoy themselves for one morning without having to feel the pain and sadness of poverty and/or parents that don't give a sh*t about them.

Disappointment is one thing, but hopes and dreams being crushed is a totally different story.

That's wonderful that you made it out of your situation, but there are many, many children who don't. They deserve a chance to excel and be happy, even if it is someone other than their sorry parents giving them hand up (not a handout).

[QUOTE=ducknwork;525664]

I do not agree with the first statement, but I totally agree with the second. As far as teaching something or not, why does everything have to be a lesson? Sometimes, it's just good for kids to be kids and be able to enjoy themselves for one morning without having to feel the pain and sadness of poverty and/or parents that don't give a sh*t about them.

Disappointment is one thing, but hopes and dreams being crushed is a totally different story.

That's wonderful that you made it out of your situation, but there are many, many children who don't. They deserve a chance to excel and be happy, even if it is someone other than their sorry parents giving them hand up (not a handout).
    Thanks for restoring my faith in my fellow man! I'm not sure how the pasted quotes got ascribed to me, but I assure you that was not me playing the role of Ebenezer and the Grinch all in one! When I was in scouts, we helped the Marines hand out toys, and even at my young age then, I knew that was something very, very good. Your absolutely right, not EVERYTHING has to be a lesson in life. Maybe we should be handing out copies of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to three year olds???

[QUOTE=dnf777;525710]
    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post

Thanks for restoring my faith in my fellow man! I'm not sure how the pasted quotes got ascribed to me, but I assure you that was not me playing the role of Ebenezer and the Grinch all in one! When I was in scouts, we helped the Marines hand out toys, and even at my young age then, I knew that was something very, very good. Your absolutely right, not EVERYTHING has to be a lesson in life. Maybe we should be handing out copies of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to three year olds???
    Yep, not sure how that quote got Marvin's name either??

Dang, we are on the same side on something. I knew you weren't all bad...