The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kong Toys and my lab "Bus" - GDG (advice sought?)

Default Kong Toys and my lab "Bus" - GDG (advice sought?)

We have yet to find a toy that Bus doesn't shred to bits. Tennis balls, golf balls, anything.

We had two Kongs that lasted over a decade through four labs. Bus has shredded them to bits and we find dogpoop with red hunks in it in the backyard.

I thought that our Kongs had gotten brittle over time and that a new one would hold up. We just tried a knockoff of a Kong last night, called a "Dogzilla" and he tore the top off in about thirty seconds.

Do you guys have dogs that can not handle a Kong without shredding it? I intend to buy a new authentic Kong and see what happens.

Thanks!

Cris

Try the black kong they have the ability to posses the dog so they want nothing else.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Chris:
    Have one of Bus' cousins. Chewing is a favorite hobby. Strangely, he doesn't really chew hard on kong even with a biscuit or peanut butter in it. Seems more inclined to try to get at things through the opening or slap it across the floor to have something to pick up. Nylabones don't last long though. Peels the cover off tennis balls in short order, and rubber toys were a lost cause early in his youth.

Have had a name brand kong outside for over a year and dogs didn't bite through even though they would squeeze them flat. Are you using the bigger kong?

Bus must have some awfully pointy teeth or lack patience.
    Bruce

Chris the large black Kong seems to be stronger. My labs haven't destroyed one yet. Damaged one but still usuable. I do not put food in them . They are just as happy without the treat. One takes it everywhere. I have used them for many years.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

The male in my avatar chewed the black one to bits.....
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I have one lab male who will go through a Kong in a minute, the big black ones included. I have yet to find anything that he can chew on without destroying it.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

Quote Originally Posted by dogcommand View Post
    I have one lab male who will go through a Kong in a minute, the big black ones included. I have yet to find anything that he can chew on without destroying it.
    Thanks,

This is kind of where I'm thinking we are. I bet Bus will tear up a brand new Kong. I will probably spend a few bucks and give it a try.

Chris

Banned

Nylabones maybe?

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Nylabones maybe?

Angie
    Absolutely Sister Angie.

He has some Nylabones, he just doesn't want to mess with them much...he likes bouncy stuff...then he shreds it.

I think that if we picked up and denied all toys except Nylabones, he'd spend a little time with them.

The Golden in my avatar was very destructive as a puppy. He destroyed the heavy duty Kong in an hour. He could care less about Nylabones. The only thing that I found that he did not destroy and enjoyed playing with were rubbery toys called Zogoflex made by West Paw Designs (www.WestPawDesign.com) in Bozeman, Montana. They come in various shapes and they bounce, float, and stand up to tough chewing. They are made of recycled material and the company will take them back for recycling at any time for whatever reason. Their packaging is also made up of reycled paper and plastic made from corn. They claim that their Zogoflex material is stronger than any other and if your dog chews it up, just pick up the pieces and mail them back. They will send a one-time replacement or refund per customer. Or you can go to a store that sells them for replacement. I've never had to send one back because my dog hasn't put a dent in them. Other than being a little dirtier, they look just the same as when I bought them two years ago.
    Judy

CFC-CAFC Heads Up Tracks in the Taiga MH, WC ***, Can. WCI, JFTR, QFTR - U.S. all-breed Amateur placements/JAMS, Am-Can Qual Wins (Trek) 1/31/07

Heads Up Dash to the Taiga WC **(Dart) 10/29/12

Can. GMH Coppertop Wind in the Taiga MH, WCX **, Can. CD, WCX, QFTR *** (Breeze) 9/5/00 - 9/30/10

Photo of one-year-old Trek by Greg Gersbach