RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

need legal dog help

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Judy Chute 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with an abandoned dog. I got a 6 month golden in for FF and to get a JH on her. The owner was very excited and called every week for the first month. He paid the first two months and I haven't heard from him since. It has now been 5 months and I have called his cell repeatedly and even looked up his fathers number and got him a couple times and he said he would give him message. I have sent two seperate certified letters that were signed for and still nothing. It is in my contract that if this kind of thing happened I could sell the dog to recoop my loss. Legally I can't really sell her unless I can get her transfered into my name. AKC told me I had to go thru the NC legal system. Anyone have any insight to this please let me know.

#2 ·
Please PM me if you have the breeders name, if you don't know that the sire/dam or what ever info you have-they probably will help.
Demi

#3 ·
Have had it happen sent you a pm

#4 ·
Basically, from what I understand (I AM NOT A LAWYER), you can petition in small claims court, if/when the court granted you the owner pay the training fees in xx days or they sign over the papers. If they don't do it, (may have to petition again after xx days) when the court says the dog is yours, AKC can issue papers to you if the owner signs or not.

#5 ·
Here are my 2 cents worth. I am not a lawyer but I handled a number of small claims court cases for a company I used to work for and it is very easy. You can sue for any amounts less than the limit in your state. Go visit your county clerk of court. Although they will not give legal advise they will have the application form for small claims court. You can fill it out and submit it right on the spot with the fee. They will assign you a court date and let you know how the proof of service (to your client) needs to be completed.

Show up for court with all of your documents in hand - contract, receipt for payments made, copies of your certified letters and the signed receipts that your client got the letters. I might even bring copies of your phone bill showing how many times you tried to call the client.

It sounds like your client wont show and it will be a default judgement against him and you win without ever needing to present a case. If he does show up you get to present your case and so does your client. Not sure what his case could be but he gets to present one anyway.

Your court issued Judgement will allow you to make the AKC reissue the dogs registration to reflect you as the owner. It will also protect you from any future action by the dog's owner.

Good luck.

#6 ·
How sad... Good to hear that you have her in a safe environment, at least.

I agree with Demi......that the breeder should be contacted.

In the end, I hope it works out for the Golden Retriever....good home etc.

Judy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.