RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRC Coverage

96K views 577 replies 128 participants last post by  Howard N 
#1 · (Edited)
#260 ·
Jeff -- I was sent a photo of #61 MOONSTONES Ignites on Impact "FLINT" which you took during pre-national training, also posted on here with your photos...

Because Flint is one of our pups, I have that photo of Flint on my home page and have given you credit as the photographer...I'll add a link to your website. Hope this is okay - if not let me know.

Sarita

#261 ·
It's perfectly OK. I will admit that I love wandering through the Internet and stumbling on one of my pictures. The only time I got irritated was when I had a litter of "Rough" puppies that I was selling and received a copy of a brochure that someone had put together for their own litter of Rough puppies using my photos without permission. I increasingly embed a copyright notice on my photos only because there is legislation pending that would remove copyright protection for what are called "orphan" photos -- photos where it is not possible to determine ownership. Under current copyright law, no such notice is required.

This post has been deleted
#263 ·
Actually, Darin, I think Molly was a great selection, and I believe her selection was simply an effort to get the best person for the job after problems developed with a prior selection. Molly took the photos at the Master National for the last two years and at the NARC earlier this year. She has been taking photos of dogs in hunt tests for several years and understands what is needed to get good shots of dogs in action. She has and breeds Goldens herself and her father is very active in the retriever community.

Unfortunately, it may be that two photographers are needed to do the whole job well since there is a need for formal portraits (the traditional photos of the handler with the number in front posed with the dog), general gallery and workers photos, color shots, etc. The income for the photographer comes from selling pictures, so a lot of time also goes into selling. It may be that the revenue potential from selling pictures simply isn't great enough to support two photographers. The gap has been filled by Vicky Lamb shooting pictures from the line that are being posted as part of her blog. Vicky is a really good writer, but doesn't take action photos in the way that either Molly or I would.

#262 ·
That's frikin' nuts. This is exactly why I do not get involve in FT's anymore than 'show up, run my dogs, and go home". Some people can complicate the most simple things
Yep,, Thats the problem with todays world,,,nothing is simple anymore,

I didnt think the NRC was a profit making buisiness or a secret society. I Didn't know the supporting clubs were either,,, ,, sounds like the government workings here.

This is the way I look at it,,, they not only get to advertise on there own web site ,,but other websites are advertising their product for free.

W hen it first started following the first few days of the national I was planning on renewing and my FTN subscription,,,now I cant get this taste out of my mouth,

Unfortunately this sounds like it has nothing to do with dogs or with people,,, or even with most of the contestant there ,,,,,its all about money and prestige
Go figure

Pete

#339 ·
Money and Prestige? Why would you say that when one owner has 6 dogs entered and has never trained any of them, let alone loved any in their house. No this is not about the love of the dogs, it is not about the camadrie of training together it is about making money for the National Club to be able to give away donations, self support the egos that are involved and make sure the peasants who are told that to work is a honor and to shut up, pay for their own food and room. Having worked 16 different Nationals at my own expense I do not recall ever recieving a thank you by written letter.I was once told that that since my dog who had qualified and was deceased was not at the National I could not buy a National pin(Ihave 94 National pins with each dog's name engraved on each pin and the year it qualified) in a shadow box. The same group who tried to sell me tickets for their raffle and asked for donations to the RHOF. Don't kid yourself- look up who the SAME 5 people are that run the Labrador Club, the DoubleHeaders Club and the Retriever Hall of Fame admissions committee. What is is so shut up and be happy that you are asked to stay away from work and home and family inorder that those who have may sit in the gallery or at home while others work the trial and pros run their dogs. Just a larger edition of a weekend trial-100 dogs qualify for a National-25 could win it, 50 are good dogs and 25 got there because of luck,suck or/and politics. You will find that of the finalists 10 come from the top 25, and 2 or3 from the "good dogs" There's lots of luck and it usually costs me $4000 or more and 12 days of my life, so after qualifying for 53 Nationals and running 89 dogs and finishing 13 I now stay home. I don't have enough money to play in that prestigous league--and also I am an old fart who gets too tired,however I do work my dogs everyday and there is a love affair between myself and my dogs-that's all that matters to me or them.

#264 ·
Sorry for not posting updates, I am not a morning person....but so far since the action resumed there is been 2 dogs break (77, 82) and a handle (7)

Also anyone know what's causing all the no-birds? Weather?

FOM

#278 ·
Sorry for not posting updates, I am not a morning person....but so far since the action resumed there is been 2 dogs break (77, 82) and a handle (7)
As respects the breaks at least three on this test thus far. I personally question a 60 yard flyer at a national or any field trial for that matter. Yes a dog should be steady, but . . . I am especially surprised that Joe Broyles would agree to such a test given that his dog can creep damn near that far. :razz:

Also anyone know what's causing all the no-birds? Weather?

FOM
I am not there so do not know, but when the first few dogs got no birds my first thoughts were that it is the day after the party and maybe some partied too hardy :) or that maybe the elite gun crew is getting up in years. However, most likely it is the conditions and the test.

IMHO any time you shoot a flyer into a test you are asking for trouble especially when pheasants are involved. Typically the guns and throwers are good enough at a national to get by with it, but there has been a wind shift with increased velocity since yesterday. A pheasant wants to fly with the wind and with the wind “in their face” they are trying to shoot both flyers into the wind. The Flyer shooters and throwers will earn their money today.

#266 · (Edited)
We just went through this with our National horse show not long ago. They were even forbidding owners to video their horse's (or their children showing their horse!) class from the stands or take pictures...only the official photographer and their staff were allowed. Problem is, lots of the competitiors don't get any pics then, because the official photographer couldn't shoot every single horse...so after qualifying and making the long trip, there were no photos. The membership raised such an uproar that the rule was rescinded.

As someone who sometimes photographs events, I kinda like it when others are shooting too....raises the bar and makes me work harder to get great shots if I've got a little competition.

Heck, I'd shoot the NRC just for the fun of it!

#268 ·
As someone who sometimes photographs events, I kinda like it when others are shooting too....raises the bar and makes me work harder to get great shots if I've got a little competition.

Heck, I'd shoot the NRC just for the fun of it!
So what if they did just that....had several photographers who were willing to shoot "just for the fun of it" AND the attribution. Have an "official" photographer that does the National portraits and is paid for it, but have folks there that would contribute to a "picture scrapbook" if you will. RN could produce a video disk that THEY could edit and have creative control over and then SELL it via RN and WRC...a profit center that would cost them virtually nothing.

Does that make too much sense? ;-)

Oh..and mcnaught, you're exactly right....if it were only that simple....:cool:

kg

#270 ·
When the judges (any one of them or all of them) determine that the throw (arc/distance/angle, etc) or fall of the bird creates a situation that is unfair for the competing dog....usually happens with a flier, and more often with pheasants than with ducks. That's the nutshell version, anyway...;-)

It can also happen with the misfire of a popper gun on a dead bird station.

kg

#276 ·
Here is a little story about corprate america or shoud I say the corprate mentality

There once was a little bar and grill near Alpine wyo. or the star valley area. Pretty rural as far as the rest of the country is concerned.

It provided the locals with food and beer.
The name of this place was "JEEPS" It had been called jeeps before crysler made jeeps so the local folklore goes.
Chysler got a sniff of this and brought a Lawsuit before the owner ,,who's Last name was Jeep I believe.. Its been a long time so some of this could be a little out of skew. The lawsuit was not.

Chrysler wanted to have JEEPS change the name of its bar and grill because they felt it was infringing on their name and or capitolizing on it.
I wonder how many jeeps were sold in that little podunk vally after that.
Its a good thing Chrysler hired Iococa to save their arse

Pete

#279 ·
Here is a little story about corprate america or shoud I say the corprate mentality. . . .
Let's not threadjack.

But I do want to say while cases like that are not all that unusual, they are also usually not the fault of the corporation itself but instead some underling lawyer trying to justify his/her place on the payroll.

#277 ·
Hmmm.....

If a photographer from the Boston Globe (newspaper) showed up at the NRC and took photos, would an NRC official threaten a lawsuit if the reporter posted the pics to the paper's commercial website? Or would the club and the sponsors welcome the publicity?

In those terms, what is the difference between the newspaper's website and some other commercial website? Isn't it worth the positive publicity?

#289 ·
Speaking of the worker's party, wonder where the pictures are of that?

Or do we get to wait for the National issue of RN to come up to see them....:rolleyes:....at least they'll have captions...;-)

kg
What happens in Delaware stays in Delaware...... :rolleyes::D

#282 ·
I believe in order to ban the taking of "unauthorized" photos, it has to be announced or posted. If anyone here has every been to a concert, you see signs EVERYWHERE that cameras are not allowed and no pictures are to be taken.

I don't believe there is any legal basis for any of this.

This is just more unfortunate BS that is being promoted. It definitely leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Without Lainee and Jeff posting on RTF, their site would not have 1/10th of the traffic this week that they have had. That site is all but dead except the weeks of the Nat'ls.

WRL

#285 · (Edited)
I believe in order to ban the taking of "unauthorized" photos, it has to be announced or posted. If anyone here has every been to a concert, you see signs EVERYWHERE that cameras are not allowed and no pictures are to be taken.

I don't believe there is any legal basis for any of this.

This is just more unfortunate BS that is being promoted. It definitely leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Without Lainee and Jeff posting on RTF, their site would not have 1/10th of the traffic this week that they have had. That site is all but dead except the weeks of the Nat'ls.

WRL
Interesting, if we could just scrap WRC site, except for Vickies Blog, and have RTF take over the Nat'ls coverage. I think RTF could do a better job promoting FTs and get more sponsors to participate. :)

#283 ·
I can't speak for what's going on with the no birds today but the wind was a factor last night. I was on the right live flyer station and it took a lot of adjusting to keep the birds in the same area.
Pheasant are tough enough with out wind. As Lainee put gunners don't want to hear NO BIRD anymore than a handler

This post has been deleted
#288 ·
Ding, ding we have a winner...

#293 ·
If a photographer from the Boston Globe (newspaper) showed up at the NRC and took photos, would an NRC official threaten a lawsuit if the reporter posted the pics to the paper's commercial website? Or would the club and the sponsors welcome the publicity
Yes of coarse it would be wrong,,,sorry I didnt realize the people taking pictures were from some corprate enterprise
p

#297 ·
The 6th series is done....we now wait for callbacks!

#298 ·
But I do want to say while cases like that are not all that unusual, they are also usually not the fault of the corporation itself but instead some underling lawyer trying to justify his/her place on the payroll
So its lawers that make the final decision who to sue or not to,, I wish some lawer would come here and order me to make lawsuits,,, my bad I didnt know it worked that way. I always thought it was the guy in charge that had the final decision.
I'm just a simpleton sorry my bad

This thread was highjacked 2 days ago.:)

p

#301 ·
Prior to the National I was told by a pro (not running a dog) to expect shorter, more technical marks rather than long, just for the sake of being long, marks based on the judges this year, Mr Volstead in particular. It seems that, by the photo's, drawings and discriptions, that's certainly the case.

#306 · (Edited)
the grounds (flat, visibility due to trees in the background, and size of the fields) dictate the length of marks more than philosophy and last time I checked there were 3 judges

#302 ·
dogs lost in the 6th series: 2, 7, 19, 23, 38, 46, 49, 50, 66, 77, 82, 85, 88

#305 ·
Darn, I was routing for #46 to make it to the finals or win, I had the honor of running him during training and he made me look good despite my inexperience as a handler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.