The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Trying Terrorists in Civilian Courts

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    The military tribunals are tailor made for this and is how Bush and Congress were proceeding (in spite of the constant starts/stops and meddling of federal judges). Obama and Holder have already said that some of the Gitmo scum will be tried by the military tribunals. If that form of justice/trial is good enough for some of them, why isn't it good enough for all of them?
    I thought the 9-11 hijakers (the ones NOT on the planes) were tried and convicted in Arlington, Va? Am I wrong?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    So... you're a glass half empty guy... what can I say...I'm not. I think we can pull it off. Do you have so little faith in our system, the system that that we're sending people to die for to protect, that it is so imperfect that it makes a mockery of what they fight for? What American system do you wish for? They were bad to us, so... let's be bad to them...that'll show 'em, we'll give you tit for tat. I thought we sat on a higher ground. If we bring ourselves down to the level of the people who hate us and seek to destroy us, they win their battle. They've already won so much. lets not give them complete victory. Twenty years ago i could fly to Florida to visit my mother with no more than a ticket and a boarding pass, now i stand in line, take my shoes off, have my bathroom stuff in tiny bottles, cant even have a nail clipper in my pocket, but we're safe... gimme a break...we allowed the terrorists to win!

JD
    Have you been awake recently?
    Note the AG yesterday.
    This group is in over it's head.
    They played the "hate Bush" card to the max.
    Almost everything this group does is geared toward blaming Bush for everything!

No......I have NO faith in them, 0, nadda!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    They played the "hate Bush" card to the max.
    Almost everything this group does is geared toward blaming Bush for everything!
    Kind of a "sister forum" to this site, which seems to be an everything hate Obumma...Osama.....Obongo.....wait, what's his real name again......OBAMA...that's it, I forgot it after reading this forum for so long. (not that everything this group does is geared toward blaming Obama)

If it's good for the goose regards.....
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I thought the 9-11 hijakers (the ones NOT on the planes) were tried and convicted in Arlington, Va? Am I wrong?
    The "20th hijacker," Zacharias Moussai (sp?) was tried in Federal Court in VA. Read about the trial on wikipedia or wherever...a 3 ring circus of courtroom antics, procedural battles and fights over what was considered state secrets and what wasn't. The differences between Moussai's arrest/trial and KSM et al's captures/trials is stark; the most significant being that Moussai was arrested in Minnesota by FBI agents and was immediately treated as a suspect (with all the rights and assumptions of innocence). The others were captured in gritty 3rd world shatholes and immediately treated as enemy combatants with little rights and no presumption of innocence. Those differences are HUGE if you then proceed to attempt to try them using the same judicial process. As evidence of what a cluster-you-know-what, complete can-o-worms Holder/Obama have opened, they STILL do not have a coherent response to what/how bin Laden would be treated if he was captured in Pakistan tomorrow.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

complete can-o-worms Holder/Obama have opened, .
    WHO? Who created these "limbo" judicial set-ups? Who inherited them? Who had these guys in jail for 3-8 years and did NOTHING but hand off the problem, and the blame???

I read you post and understand perfectly what your point is, and share the same concerns. Except for who created the mess! That blame resides solely with Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, Gonzales, and Mukasey. The current admin is trying to clean up this mess in a way that ensures the guilty are found guilty and punished, without showing the world that we only selectively follow the letter of our law when it suits us, and behave like a banana republic when we want to.

WHO? Who created these "limbo" judicial set-ups? Who inherited them? Who had these guys in jail for 3-8 years and did NOTHING but hand off the problem, and the blame???

I read you post and understand perfectly what your point is, and share the same concerns. Except for who created the mess! That blame resides solely with Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, Gonzales, and Mukasey. The current admin is trying to clean up this mess in a way that ensures the guilty are found guilty and punished, without showing the world that we only selectively follow the letter of our law when it suits us, and behave like a banana republic when we want to.
    YEP, just like I said........
    Stan b & Elvis

WHO? Who created these "limbo" judicial set-ups? Obama and Holder just did. The Bush admin, in conjunction with Congress, were in the process of trying them by military tribunal; very much like other prisoners/enemy combantants have been since the beginning of our country. Obama and Holder are the ones turning things on their ear and drastically deviating from historical precedent. Who inherited them? Who had these guys in jail for 3-8 years and did NOTHING but hand off the problem, and the blame??? You're apparently not up to speed. Maybe wiki up Gitmo, military tribunals, etc. and you'll find what Bush and Congress were doing/trying to do.

I read you post and understand perfectly what your point is, and share the same concerns. But all you want to talk about is who is to blame...you know, the hardcore conservative in you and the longing for setting the record straight and all. Yeah, we get it...you blame Bush for handing the problem to Obama. For the sake of argument, let's pretend you're right. Now what? Compound the problem with added stupidity and naivete? Except for who created the mess! That blame resides solely with Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, Gonzales, and Mukasey. The current admin is trying to clean up this mess in a way that ensures the guilty are found guilty and punished, without showing the world that we only selectively follow the letter of our law when it suits us, and behave like a banana republic when we want to. LOL. You sound like Holder..."we want to give 'em a fair trial followed by a fair hanging." Spoken just like the head banana of a banana republic.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Hew, once again we're going around in circles. You're doing the exact thing you accusing me of doing....acknowledging the problem, then blaming the other guy.

How can you say Obama just turned things on it's ear by declaring a civilian trial, when Bush has already done so? If bush was "doing/trying to do"...why didn't he just do it, and not leave this legal mess for the next guy? We're not going to reach an agreement here as to who screwed this all up, but why not as RP suggested a friendly wager, since all on the right are convinced he's gonna walk? A sixer of your choice that he is convicted and sentenced to either life or death??

http://rochesterhomepage.net/content...xt/?cid=135661

75 million reasons why a civilian trial is not a good idea. It's already a circus side show, and the trial hasn't even started.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

What a shame that Judge Roy Bean or Judge Isaac parker is no longer alive. Either of them sitting on this case would ensure a quick trial and public hangings for the scumbags.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!