The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: National Debt

Default National Debt

http://www.nytimes.com:80/2009/11/23...html?th&emc=th

The NY Times today

The surge in borrowing over the last year or two is widely judged to have been a necessary response to the financial crisis and the deep recession, and there is still a raging debate over how aggressively to bring down deficits over the next few years. But there is little doubt that the United States’ long-term budget crisis is becoming too big to postpone.

Americans now have to climb out of two deep holes: as debt-loaded consumers, whose personal wealth sank along with housing and stock prices; and as taxpayers, whose government debt has almost doubled in the last two years alone, just as costs tied to benefits for retiring baby boomers are set to explode.

The competing demands could deepen political battles over the size and role of the government, the trade-offs between taxes and spending, the choices between helping older generations versus younger ones, and the bottom-line questions about who should ultimately shoulder the burden.
    I would submit that the "bold" I've added is open to dispute. That has been obvious by the controversy over the content of the stimulus bills, and bail-out programs that were implemented.

And now we're being told that we MUST support this huge health care reform ... even though the CBO is raising large question marks over the budget neutrality of the proposals on the table. And Congress continues to spend money that doesn't exist.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    And Congress continues to spend money that doesn't exist.

It does exist. It just belongs to us. They will take it from us when it becomes necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    It does exist. It just belongs to us. They will take it from us when it becomes necessary.
    Actually, it belongs to China. We've been asking them to pay our bills for years now.

Is there anyone, other than well fed bankers, making any money to pay the debt? The Fortunate Few will mouth patriotism but they will sell their country in a heartbeat and send good paying jobs overseas. There is no economic base to pay off the debt anymore.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!