The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Business Rant

Default Business Rant

Porter Stansberry produces best government rant you'll read in 2009
    Monday, November 23, 2009

From Porter Stansberry in the S&A Digest:

I'd like to make you a business offer. Seriously. This is a real offer. In fact, you really can't turn me down, as you'll come to understand in a moment...

Here's the deal. You're going to start a business or expand the one you've got now. It doesn't really matter what you do or what you're going to do. I'll partner with you no matter what business you're in as long as it's legal. But I can't give you any capital you have to come up with that on your own. I won't give you any labor that's definitely up to you. What I will do, however, is demand you follow all sorts of rules about what products and services you can offer, how much (and how often) you pay your employees, and where and when you're allowed to operate your business. That's my role in the affair: to tell you what to do.

Now in return for my rules, I'm going to take roughly half of whatever you make in the business, each year. Half seems fair, doesn't it? I think so. Of course, that's half of your profits. You're also going to have to pay me about 12% of whatever you decide to pay your employees because you've got to cover my expenses for promulgating all of the rules about who you can employ, when, where, and how. Come on, you're my partner. It's only "fair."

Now... after you've put your hard-earned savings at risk to start this business and after you've worked hard at it for a few decades (paying me my 50% or a bit more along the way each year), you might decide you'd like to cash out to finally live the good life.

Whether or not this is "fair" some people never can afford to retire is a different argument. As your partner, I'm happy for you to sell whenever you'd like... because our agreement says, if you sell, you have to pay me an additional 20% of whatever the capitalized value of the business is at that time.

I know... I know... you put up all the original capital. You took all the risks. You put in all of the labor. That's all true. But I've done my part, too. I've collected 50% of the profits each year. And I've always come up with more rules for you to follow each year. Therefore, I deserve another, final 20% slice of the business. Oh... and one more thing...

Even after you've sold the business and paid all of my fees... I'd recommend buying lots of life insurance. You see, even after you've been retired for years, when you die, you'll have to pay me 50% of whatever your estate is worth. After all, I've got lots of partners and not all of them are as successful as you and your family. We don't think it's "fair" for your kids to have such a big advantage. But if you buy enough life insurance, you can finance this expense for your children. All in all, if you're a very successful entrepreneur... if you're one of the rare, lucky, and hard-working people who can create a new company, employ lots of people, and satisfy the public... you'll end up paying me more than 75% of your income over your life. Thanks so much.

I'm sure you'll think my offer is reasonable and happily partner with me... but it doesn't really matter how you feel about it because if you ever try to stiff me or cheat me on any of my fees or rules I'll break down your door in the middle of the night, threaten you and your family with heavy, automatic weapons, and throw you in jail. That's how civil society is supposed to work, right? This is Amerika, isn't it?

That's the offer Amerika gives its entrepreneurs. And the idiots in Washington wonder why there are no new jobs...

It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

I got this in an email, it's an oldie but goodie and very pertinent.
    Tax his land, Tax his bed, Tax the table At which he's fed.
    Tax his tractor, Tax his mule, Teach him taxes Are the rule.
    Tax his work, Tax his pay, He works for peanuts Anyway!
    Tax his cow, Tax his goat, Tax his pants, Tax his coat.
    Tax his ties, Tax his shirt, Tax his work, Tax his dirt.
    Tax his tobacco, Tax his drink, Tax him if he Tries to think.
    Tax his cigars, Tax his beers, If he cries Tax his tears.
    Tax his car, Tax his gas, Find other ways To tax him fast!
    Tax all he has Then let him know That you won't be done Till he has no dough.
    When he screams and hollers, Then tax him more, Tax him till He's good and sore.
    Then tax his coffin, Tax his grave, Tax the sod in Which he's laid.
    Put these words upon his tomb, Taxes drove me to my doom
    When he's gone, Do not relax, It's time to apply The inheritance tax.
    Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL license Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Excise Taxes
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel Permit Tax
    Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
    Gross Receipts Tax
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Inventory Tax
    IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties
    (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Luxury Taxes
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Personal Property Tax
    Privilege Tax

Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    Road Usage Tax
    Service Charge Tax
    Social Security Tax
    Sales Tax
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone Federal Excise Tax
    Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
    Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
    Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
    Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
    Telephone State and Local Tax
    Telephone Usage Charge Tax
    Use Tax
    Utility Taxes
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft Registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
    Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago,
    and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
    We had absolutely no national debt,
    had the largest middle class in the world,
    and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the world happened? Can you spell
    "politicians?"
    And I still have to press 1 for English!?!?!?!?
    I hope this goes around THE USA at least 100 times!!!!!
    YOU can help it get there!!!!
    GO AHEAD - - - BE AN AMERICAN!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I got this in an email, it's an oldie but goodie and very pertinent.
    [size=3][size=2][/center][/center]
    100 years ago the federal government supported itself by tariffs, duties and excise taxes. As a much smaller government it supported them then.
    Private roads and river crossings supported themselves with tolls (read taxes).
    A tax on tea, sparked the American Revolution. Taxes are not an invention of the last 100 years. The Romans taxed the occupants of the the countries they occupied for the cost of that occupation. (Might not be a bad idea for Iraq and Afghanistan)

Over the last 100 years, business, in collusion with government, has shifted the the cost (read taxes) from the corporate to the individual.
    We have no one to blame but ourselves. We elected the thieves and the buggers, and stood quietly by.

We wanted our government services though, and incrementally we reached where we are now. Like Pandora's Box, once opened, it cannot be shut.

I don't have an answer, but the same old party politics is not an answer either.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Over the last 100 years, business, in collusion with government, has shifted the the cost (read taxes) from the corporate to the individual.
    Corporations do not pay taxes. People pay taxes.

Our government has created a system where they extract money from the people and return it in the form of services (minus a hefty sum for overhead) in exchange for votes.
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Corporations do not pay taxes. People pay taxes.

Our government has created a system where they extract money from the people and return it in the form of services (minus a hefty sum for overhead) in exchange for votes.
    Isn't that what I just said?

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Isn't that what I just said?

JD
    You said business in collusion with government, has shifted the the cost (read taxes) from the corporate to the individual.

The corporate never has nor should be expected to pay taxes. Individuals pay taxes.
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies

Hi Julie R.. What is that email? Let us know.

Hey, I didn't post the above. Someone must have hacked into my account!
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Hmmm....who is eldercaddy?
    Changed my password too but eeeeek I'd sure hate any hacker to post some of my PMs! OK off to delete them....
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Hmmm....who is eldercaddy?
    Changed my password too but eeeeek I'd sure hate any hacker to post some of my PMs! OK off to delete them....
    Some of your PM's are halarious!