I had allergy tests done recently on a young dog that developed itchy rashes and started losing her coat this summer. Just got the results back: her thyroid was normal, but she's allergic to 2 kinds of dust mites (D. farinae & D. pteronyssinus) and what's called a storage or mold mite: Tyrophagus putrescentiae (how's that for a disgusting-sounding name?). My vets suggested I speak to the allergists (at the test Lab) directly but are thinking they might be able to desensitize her with a course of shots. I have a call into the diagnostic lab, HESKA in Colorado, to speak to their allergy specialist.
Just wondering if anyone else has had a dog diagnosed with these specific allergies and if the shots are worth doing. From online research it seems like the shots only work in about half the cases. She is an indoor dog and our house is already hardwood/tile throughout. I washed her dog bed and crate bed, which I plan to do weekly, but guess I should probably pitch them and buy new ones...hmmm, wonder if any company makes a hypo-allergenic dog bed? If anyone has had a dog with these allergies I'd love to hear your experience with treatment, what worked and what didn't.