The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Chris Atkinson

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Default Chris Atkinson

I have a friend that goes by city slicker over on the Refuge. His dog had an accident and he is having a hard time about having the dog's leg amputated. I thought if you would please tell him about your experiences with that. I tried to find the link to the posts on here and was just gonna post him a link to them but I can't find it. He has a great dog . Just an unfortunate accident........Otey
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

this thread is worth reading. I've got a dog getting operated on Friday for a mast cell removal, so it's kind of a sensitive issue around here as well.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ght=three+legs

The best way I've heard it stated (by someone on this forum, I believe) is that a dog only needs three legs, but God gave them a spare, just in case.

Best of luck to your friend.
    Last edited by Ron in Portland; 11-25-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adding link
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Mike Boufford

Home to:
    UH HRCH Blue Sky's Carolina Contessa (500 Point Club)
    HRCH Firestorm Black on the Inside

UH HRCH MarshQurls Thunderfoot Jake SH (660 lifetime points) 2/24/02 - 12/11/08

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves." George Washington 1776

Otey,

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ight=spare+leg

This may be of some value.

I got an email from him and he said he was trying to resurrect his account on RTF. I have no remaining piece of any former account that he had on RTF. He can re-register, no problem.

Much of the stuff about Luke was lost in the accidental info purge back when I was in a hurry to clear the 60 day limit off the old classifieds format. I went overboard and hit the button for the entire RTF database and then spent a while hitting whatever button I could to stop it.

We lost A LOT of info in that accidental dump and our provider was unable to recover it via backup.

An amputation for a dog is a setback, but is not the end.

Luke had several good years, after his amputation. His accident was when he was 9 and was already retired from entries in dog games. I actually put him back in the HRC program and put his HRCH on him for therapy. (He was a NAHRA GMHR prior to the accident)

Chris

Here is another link -- http://www.labmed.org/buddy.html

Over a decade ago I was on Labrador-L and was a part of the forming of LabMed.Org

On my bookshelf right now I have a custom-made Sandicast sculpture of a three-legged yellow Labrador representing "Bullet/Buddy."
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks Chris and everyone else. His dog was one of those dogs that you see at a HT and the dog just impresses the heck out of you. Otey
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Banned

tip of the hat here....that has to be a tough thing to go through......

I remember seeing Cash when Slick came on a Canada goose hunt with us. Really nice dog. Slick was very proud of him, and I hated to hear about his injury. I imagine with advances in canine ortho that amputation isn't the only option. If this is something that is due to financial circumstances, would this qualify for the "giveback fund"?

From EE:
    The GiveBack fund will be US donating to YOU! You, as a community, will determine where the proceeds are spent through the GiveBack Committee.

A committee of your peers will be put together to manage all aspect of this fund. Student scholarships, financial hardships, health emergencies, natural disasters, land improvement, national events, canine/waterfowl legislation, etc... all worthy causes and we want to help.

GiveBack Committee members and the GiveBack Mission will be announced soon. Your feedback is always encouraged and appreciated. giveback@entryexpress.net
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde