The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: American troops had bin Laden 'within our grasp'

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default American troops had bin Laden 'within our grasp'

    November 29, 2009 - 7:09am



    By CALVIN WOODWARD



    Osama bin Laden was unquestionably within reach of U.S. troops in the mountains of Tora Bora when American military leaders made the crucial and costly decision not to pursue the terrorist leader with massive force, a Senate report says.

    The report asserts that the failure to kill or capture bin Laden at his most vulnerable in December 2001 has had lasting consequences beyond the fate of one man. Bin Laden's escape laid the foundation for today's reinvigorated Afghan insurgency and inflamed the internal strife now endangering Pakistan, it says.

    Staff members for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Democratic majority prepared the report at the request of the chairman, Sen. John Kerry, as President Barack Obama prepares to boost U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

    The Massachusetts senator and 2004 Democratic presidential candidate has long argued the Bush administration missed a chance to get the al-Qaida leader and top deputies when they were holed up in the forbidding mountainous area of eastern Afghanistan only three months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

    More pointedly, it seeks to affix a measure of blame for the state of the war today on military leaders under former president George W. Bush, specifically Donald H. Rumsfeld as defense secretary and his top military commander, Tommy Franks.

    "Removing the al-Qaida leader from the battlefield eight years ago would not have eliminated the worldwide extremist threat," the report says. "But the decisions that opened the door for his escape to Pakistan allowed bin Laden to emerge as a potent symbolic figure who continues to attract a steady flow of money and inspire fanatics worldwide. The failure to finish the job represents a lost opportunity that forever altered the course of the conflict in Afghanistan and the future of international terrorism."



    http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/20399
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 11-29-2009 at 08:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Clay Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leggett, NC
    Posts
    372

    Default

    So what is this suppose to mean? You gonna believe something put together by a man that lied about his military service? Yea, you probably will. I am starting to think you need help.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq


    Every day should be Veteran's day.


    "They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    So what is this suppose to mean? You gonna believe something put together by a man that lied about his military service? Yea, you probably will. I am starting to think you need help.
    Exactly what did Kerry lie about?

    Several members of SBVT served in the same unit as Kerry, but only one, Stephen Gardner, served on the same boat. A number of Kerry's later SBVT critics claimed to have been present on accompanying Swift Boats, at some of the salient events of Kerry's enemy engagements in Vietnam.
    Other SBVT members included two of Kerry's former commanding officers, Grant Hibbard and George Elliott. Hibbard and Elliott have alleged, respectively, that Kerry's first Purple Heart and Silver Star were undeserved. In addition, members of SBVT have questioned the merit of Kerry's other medals and his truthfulness in testimony about the war. None of these allegations were made until the 2004 presidential campaign.
    Defenders of John Kerry's service record, including nearly all of his former crewmates, have stated that SBVT's accusations are false.

  4. #4
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,664

    Default

    He lied about being in Cambodia and he lied about seeing innocents murdered.
    Stan b & Elvis

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,340

    Default

    slick willie also had a chance, with a drone. but OBL was just a tall guy in a white sheet then......... had he pushed the button then....... oh well second guessing history is like saying you could have gotten into that girls pants at the prom.
    you didnt and now she has her own double wide on the front lawn of her daddies farm.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  6. #6
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,549

    Default

    I wont take much credence to the report since its headed by Kerry who obviously has his own deep seated agenda to discredit a past administration. Did we make mistakes in Afghanistan/Pakistan in capturing bin Laden,absolutely..but you had a corrupt Pakistani govt on one side and a less than cooperative Afghani government on the other...what were we to do , carpet bomb the whole country side, of course not

    This is another example of bureaucratic process of finding example to support a hypothesis and of couse you have a willing Senator with an axe to grind heading up the committee to "find the facts"...nothing but political grandstanding...i am just waiting to see how BHO uses this report to tie in another speech to the health plan

    Its almost like the old Mutual of Omaha commercials on Wild Kingdom where somehow Marlin Perkins would always find a way to equate nature and M of O insurance in the same vein..
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  7. #7
    Senior Member Clay Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leggett, NC
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Exactly what did Kerry lie about?

    Several members of SBVT served in the same unit as Kerry, but only one, Stephen Gardner, served on the same boat. A number of Kerry's later SBVT critics claimed to have been present on accompanying Swift Boats, at some of the salient events of Kerry's enemy engagements in Vietnam.
    Other SBVT members included two of Kerry's former commanding officers, Grant Hibbard and George Elliott. Hibbard and Elliott have alleged, respectively, that Kerry's first Purple Heart and Silver Star were undeserved. In addition, members of SBVT have questioned the merit of Kerry's other medals and his truthfulness in testimony about the war. None of these allegations were made until the 2004 presidential campaign.
    Defenders of John Kerry's service record, including nearly all of his former crewmates, have stated that SBVT's accusations are false.
    What does your post prove? The same as the first, NOTHING! What your attempting to do is try to show how GWB messed up and didn't get the job done. What you should be doing is trying to figure out why Clinton didn't handle the problem when he had the chance(at least 4 chances if memory serves). And these things weren't called into question until he tried to run on the ticket of being some war hero.
    Last edited by Clay Rogers; 11-29-2009 at 10:40 AM.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq


    Every day should be Veteran's day.


    "They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    What does your post prove? The same as the first, NOTHING! What your attempting to do is try to show how GWB messed up and didn't get the job done. What you should be doing is trying to figure out why Clinton didn't handle the problem when he had the chance(at least 4 chances if memory serves). And these things weren't called into question until he tried to run on the ticket of being some war hero.
    Bush's lies and secrets are starting to come out. Wonder what we will be hearing about next.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,340

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Bush's lies and secrets are starting to come out. Wonder what we will be hearing about next.
    Next………….
    Next would be President Obama’s lies and secrets
    After that would be the next Presidents lies and secrets.

    Meet the new boss
    Same as the old boss
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

    Its almost like the old Mutual of Omaha commercials on Wild Kingdom where somehow Marlin Perkins would always find a way to equate nature and M of O insurance in the same vein..
    And just like that great show from our youth Marlin (the politicians) is safely in the copter, while Jim Fowler is clinging to the grill of the Rover with a rope. Going 60mph through the underbrush being driven by the “Friendly” native peoples.

    .
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •