The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: American troops had bin Laden 'within our grasp'

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Yeaaahhh.....Kill 'em all and let God sort them out!! (our God, that is, not theirs)
    Because waiting until they killed 3,000 people before acting was proven to be such a winning policy.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

lets not forget, that 3000 could have been 50,000.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    lets not forget, that 3000 could have been 50,000.

More importantly.....it could have been 0!!
    Stan b & Elvis

one pre-emptive strike...
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    More importantly.....it could have been 0!!
    If you think killing Bin Laden at the time would have stopped the terrorists from flying planes into the world trade center, you are looney.

Ultimately, however, it doesn’t matter. What is not in dispute at all is the fact that, in early 1996, American officials regarded Osama bin Laden as a financier of terrorism and not as a mastermind largely because, at the time, there was no real evidence that bin Laden had harmed American citizens. So even if the Sudanese government really did offer to hand bin Laden over, the U.S. would have had no grounds for detaining him. In fact, the Justice Department did not secure an indictment against bin Laden until 1998 – at which point Clinton did order a cruise missile attack on an al Qaeda camp in an attempt to kill bin Laden.

We have to be careful about engaging in what historians call "Whig history," which is the practice of assuming that historical figures value exactly the same things that we do today. It's a fancy term for those "why didn't someone just shoot Hitler in 1930?" questions that one hears in dorm-room bull sessions. The answer, of course, is that no one knew quite how bad Hitler was in 1930. The same is true of bin Laden in 1996.

The only thing that would have stopped the terrorist attack is if Bush would have taken action when the FBI and Bush was told of an impending attack as far back as what April 20001.

http://www.slate.com/id/2098861/
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 11-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Here's another one, Roger....just know that I will continue to post evidence of Clinton's culpability as long as you deny it....

http://www.nationalreview.com/interr...ory091103b.asp

From the man who didn't know what "is" was regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    [

The answer, of course, is that no one knew quite how bad Hitler was in 1930. The same is true of bin Laden in 1996.[/B]

[/URL]
    Or Obama in 2009
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Today's Wall St. Journal reminds us what a buffoon Kerry is:

John Kerry's Tora Bora Campaign

The Senator is now in favor of more troops after he was against them

President Obama unveils his new Afghanistan strategy today, and in the nick of time Senator John Kerry has arrived with a report claiming that none of this would be necessary if former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had only deployed more troops eight years ago. Yes, he really said more troops.

In a 43-page report issued yesterday by his Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Mr. Kerry says bin Laden and deputy Ayman Zawahiri were poised for capture at the Tora Bora cave complex in late 2001. But because of the "unwillingness" of Mr. Rumsfeld and his generals "to deploy the troops required to take advantage of solid intelligence and unique circumstances to kill or capture bin Laden," the al Qaeda leaders escaped.
    This in turn "paved the way for exactly what we had hoped to avoid—a protracted insurgency that has cost more lives than anyone estimates would have been lost in a full-blown assault on Tora Bora."

The timing of the report's release suggests that Mr. Kerry intends this as political cover for Mr. Obama and Democrats, and some in the press corps have even taken it seriously. But coming from Mr. Kerry, of all people, this criticism is nothing short of astonishing.

In 2001, readers may recall, the Washington establishment that included Mr. Kerry was fretting about the danger in Afghanistan from committing too many troops. The New York Times made the "quagmire" point explicitly in a famous page-one analysis, and Seymour Hersh fed the cliche at The New Yorker.

On CNN with Larry King on Dec. 15, 2001, a viewer called in to say the U.S. should "smoke [bin Laden] out" of the Tora Bora caves. Mr. Kerry responded: "For the moment what we are doing, I think, is having its impact and it is the best way to protect our troops and sort of minimalize the proximity, if you will. I think we have been doing this pretty effectively and we should continue to do it that way." The Rumsfeld-General Tommy Franks troop strategy may have missed bin Laden, but it reflected domestic political doubts about an extended Afghan campaign.

Remarkably, Mr. Kerry is now repeating those same doubts about Mr. Obama's troop decision, saying that the "Afghans must do the heavy lifting" and that he supports additional troops only for "limited purposes" and wants the U.S. out within "four to five years." Adapting his legendary 2004 campaign locution, Mr. Kerry is now in favor of more troops after he was against them, but in any case not for very long.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    Here's another one, Roger....just know that I will continue to post evidence of Clinton's culpability as long as you deny it....

http://www.nationalreview.com/interr...ory091103b.asp

From the man who didn't know what "is" was regards,

kg
    Keith, you were quick on the draw to look up factcheck when I posted that GW thought the Constitution was just a GD piece of paper. Go back and read the factcheck I posted or do you just quote factcheck when it suits you?

Bin Laden was known about in the early 1990's, why did Bush 41 not take him out?
    Indeed, it is possible that Clinton and his national-security team learned of bin Laden even before the 1993 World Trade Center attack. My interviews and investigation revealed that bin Laden made his first attack on Americans was December 1992, a little more than a month after Clinton won the 1992 election.

Your interviews and investigation? Since when have YOU interviewed anybody about this issue? Are you leading a double life on us, or do you just not know how to properly quote a source??

Inquiring minds regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.