The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many will be watching...

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Won't waste a perfectly good evening listening to anything the Chump in chief has to say.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    So I'm sure that those of who who support an open-ended committment with no exit strategy are willing to send an open-ended blank check to the IRS to cover the cost of another Bush-style endless war, until he can pass it off on the next guy? They can just write in your tax amount as the costs soar to new record highs? And you promise NOT to complain about the deficit this will create??

Somehow I think I'm being completely absurd! Am I wrong?
    How much sense does it make to say 'We are going to fight this war until 'x' date and then we're coming home'? I thought we stayed until the job was finished, not until we feel like coming home. Give McC all the troops he wants and we'll get this done FOR REAL in 18 months (or whatever timeframe he stated) instead of quitting. It wouldn't be endless as you say if we gave them all the troops requested to completely carry out his plans.

Are you willing to write a blank check to the IRS for the next war when we have to go back because we didn't finish the job this time?

Dave, if you are performing surgery and you have dinner plans with your wife at 6, what do you do when something unexpected happens? Do you leave at the time that you had originally planned to leave or do you stay until you complete the surgery, regardless of how late it makes you?

Speaking of exit strategy, how are we going to make that work again? It seems as though there are some important details that have been left out...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2009120...08599194455600

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I thought our military was there to capture victory, .
    What will victory in Afghanistan look like to you? What would you like to happen? You do realize we're not at war with Afghanistan, don't you?

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Why all the theatrics? Why did this have to be a formal POTUS speech? Not even talking about the fact that it took him this long to even come to a conclusion while troops continue to die and the enemy continues to strengthen, why wait the additional week or whatever we've been waiting for this stupid speech? Dude just do your ******* job and get things done! I always thought Clinton was bad about doing things according to poll numbers but this guy takes it to a whole new level.
    Please like me, please like me, please like me...
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

It seems to me that it is idiotic for a country such as our to ever provide another country with an open ended commitment of our military resources. This is particularly true when the government of that country has marginal legitimacy and competence and needs to change itself and undertake major political reforms to become viable. By promising open ended support in such circumstances, we encourage long term dependency and stake our own reputations on leaders whose reputations are questionable at best.

I believe that one of the factors that helped immensely in Iraq was when the Bush administration began setting its own deadlines for US engagement rather than continuing to reject the notion of deadlines and milestones. Ultimately, what we do in Afghanistan needs to be informed by the situation on the ground -- both the military situation and the political situation. However, it is good to make it clear from the beginning that our role in the future is finite and that our support is dependent on progress made by the Afghan government in implementing political reforms.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

FDR never imposed time limits on the liberation of Europe during WWII, nor did Wilson in the Great War.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Last night was a rambling incoherent double butt smooch.
    Politicallly driven, not driven by the right thing to do at all.

What a disgrace for the noble history of West Point, the finest colleg on the face of the earth!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Gotta love the unenthusiastic and falling asleep cadets. Even they didnít buy his talk coming from both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    What will victory in Afghanistan look like to you? What would you like to happen? You do realize we're not at war with Afghanistan, don't you?

JD
    Good question. It is not like we have two uniformed militaries fighting a battle or battles.

We are talking about a state of mind and lets face it, most in that entire region hate us. So, we would have to kill millions of them. Then, they would raise several more generations that will want us dead. This is the same reason I don't think all the blood and money we spent in Iraq will bring about what we want in Iraq after we leave.

We can't let Al Queda off the hook for what they did on 9/11/01. I think we find out who and where they are via CIA operatives and surgically bomb them no matter which hell-hole country they are hiding in. Pakistan would not be off-limits! Boots on the ground is not a road to victory.

I also agree that Obama is in way over his head.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.