The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How many will be watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    We backed the wrong side in the war between the USSR and the mudjahideen.
    I respectfully disagree. We screwed up the end game and are now reaping what we sowed.

For more information, check out these books: Steve Coll's The Ghost Wars, (focuses on America's involvement in the region up to Sept 10, 2001) and Ahmed Rashid's Descent into Chaos (focuses on our involvement post Sep 11, 2001).

We helped the Taliban decimate the Russian forces, then abandoned them...not a good strategy, and we're paying for it now.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    We helped the Taliban decimate the Russian forces, then abandoned them...not a good strategy, and we're paying for it now.

kg
    Maybe I should read those books too. I'm curious, did they adopt their extremist religious views because we abandoned them?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

The Islamist religious roots of the Taliban go much further back than the Soviet occupation, back to the late 40's in British India.
    Imo, the American alliance against the Russians was more of a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" convenience. They wanted (still do) all the "infidels" out so they could have their "sharia state". It didn't/doesn't matter if it's Hindus, Communists or Christians
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Maybe I should read those books too. I'm curious, did they adopt their extremist religious views because we abandoned them?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    The Islamist religious roots of the Taliban go much further back than the Soviet occupation, back to the late 40's in British India.
    Imo, the American alliance against the Russians was more of a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" convenience. They wanted (still do) all the "infidels" out so they could have their "sharia state". It didn't/doesn't matter if it's Hindus, Communists or Christians
    I think Brian covered your question pretty well, Buzz. I think we just gave them the opportunity and motivation to use that "extremism" on us.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.