The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Field Trials

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    We attended our first Canadian Trial this year on Prince Edward Island and the people and scenery couldn't have been nicer. We ate plenty of cheap lobster and qualified for their National Open and Amateur with a placement in the Open.
    I was going to comment on the fact that any Open place qualifies that dog for the Canadian National Open. A fourth place enabled Elwood to run 8 series in the National.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

[QUOTE=signgirl;532085]
    Quote Originally Posted by signgirl View Post

Above is regarding the 16 hole chassis mount question.

If you are only bringing your own dogs, crossing is a snap--rabies cert (I just stuff the health cards or the dogs in my passport..no one ever checks but would for sure if you left them at home).
    What if they are all client dogs?

And re: firearms, how do people get up there to hunt then? and not even a blank 22 to train with?

Kris
    BLACKTAIL LABRADORS

"I never feel bad for myself" - Charles Barkley

All dogs over 8 mos. old are required to have Rabies Vac. Certificates.
    I suggest that you should have a letter from a client that includes contact info, and permission to transport the dog for the purposes of your trip.
    I'm willing to bet that almost no pro's or Am's have done this, but, if an officer doubted you, this would at least save you time & headache.
    Consider it an inside tip.
    Starters pistols:
    The issue with them is that they can be considered "Replica firearms" or not, depending on the opinion of the officer.
    Replica firearms are prohibited.
    Therefor it would likely be seized and forfeited.
    When I cross back & forth I leave my starter pistol home.
    I use a Retrieve-R- trainer instead.

Non resident Firearms:
    Long guns can be declared at the border and imported for lawful purposes (hunting/training). You will have to go into the office for the sake of firearm identification and documentation. There is a $25.00 fee, at present.

If you have a gun, whether it is a handgun or otherwise that you do not need to import, it must also be declared. Usually it will be held for export by you, at no cost to you.
    Last edited by Scott Adams; 12-05-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I have crossed the border many times. With as many as 14 dogs. I had the mind set to do as Scott suggested and had my clients sign a release form for transport through Canada to my destination. I have been asked for rabies proof but a haven't yet had an officer want to see each dog. I have all my long guns(training shotguns) shipped usps to my destination in the US and back. I have transported blank pistols across the border. I simply declare that I have them. I find that it's all in the approach and haven't had any issues passing through with them. I have brought back cases of shotgun ammo and rifle ammo going back through to Alaska. Have never had a problem. But don't even think of carrying a single bullet that is considered handgun ammo. They will tear your truck apart looking for a pistol.
    B. Rea
    Wetland Retrievers

Another issue that sometimes comes up is dog food. Each country has its own regulations, and certain kinds of meat may not be allowed at various times. I have not been asked about my dog food going into Canada (yet) even when I say that I am staying for several months, but I have almost always been asked coming back to the U.S. The safest thing to do is to keep your dog food in the original packages showing the ingredients and where it was made. I also usually try to make mine fish based because neither country seems to have a problem with that, so far. But they can and have seized dog food at the border so be prepared to buy more after you cross in the unlikely event you need to. Perhaps Scott can elaborate on that issue.

But really, there usually is no problem at all crossing the border either way, and I wouldn't let the few hoops that the regulations require stop me from participating in Canadian trials. They are a lot of fun and the people up there are wonderful.
    Judy

CFC-CAFC Heads Up Tracks in the Taiga MH, WC ***, Can. WCI, JFTR, QFTR - U.S. all-breed Amateur placements/JAMS, Am-Can Qual Wins (Trek) 1/31/07

Heads Up Dash to the Taiga WC **(Dart) 10/29/12

Can. GMH Coppertop Wind in the Taiga MH, WCX **, Can. CD, WCX, QFTR *** (Breeze) 9/5/00 - 9/30/10

Photo of one-year-old Trek by Greg Gersbach

Dog and human food into the US is always a sticky issue. I cross several times a year and have been quized at length on occasion. I do know some guys who have lost all there dog food prior to crossing. Unopened bag, US made Euk. Usually because it is poultry based. Got to the point where I only take enough food for time I'm in the US and am usually prepared to buy down there if need be. Even human consumption food likes meats, poultry products (eggs), and dairy products (milk) will warrant further questions. I've had to toss egg salad sandwichs in the garbage at border or could not enter. Understand the reasoning, lesson learned. Never had any issues with food coming home to Canada.

The cleaner you are going across either way, the better. Canada cares alot about guns, booze, & cigarettes: declare the last 2; take your chances, as Scott said, on your starter pistols-- it all depends on the individual agent as to how they'll treat you.

NEVER volunteer information (unless you are carrying something you know you must declare, like above things): let them ask you, answer honestly only what they ask; if you volunteer info, you are only gving them a reason to question you further.

GUNS: I carry 1 pistol so if it gets taken, I still have 1 at home; I never mention that I have it; if I am questionned about training guns & equipment(I have obvious dog truck), I say I have a "noisemaker"--if truck is searched & they find it, that's absolutely what it is-- they can decide how to treat it at that time. Haven't been searched & only once had to mention I had a noisemaker, agent was fine w/ that, never asked to see it. (I would recommend that if you are searched for any reason (&random searches occur regularly), that you inform Canadian agent that your noisemaker is a starter pistol, so they aren't unpleasantly surprised by what they think could be a real gun!

I find that agents often don't really know what to do w/ dog trucks: don't let them try to define you as "commercial"; if you know your stuff & have all your paperwork, you can make the process easier.

DOG FOOD: I have had bags dumped--not a nice experience, & it won't happen again. It all happened cuz of Mad Cow & the Avian flu-- US will still not allow canadian-made food in, but I just recently spoke w/ a US agent via phone: she said we are absolutely allowed to cross into US w/ even an OPENED bag of US-made food, so I'd fight if border agent wants to take yours: keep it in the bag. I haven't tested this yet!

You will find that your border-crossing experience either way is MOST dependent upon your friendly attitude & (unfortunately) the mood of any particular agent on any particular day. I cross many times a year & rarely have had issues.

Do your homework, be prepared, & try out our Canadian trials: I run both sides, & am surprised more folks don't come this way!

Connie

I will say again, if you cross into Canada with a starter pistol, you are more likely to lose it than not. If that starter pistol is found and not declared, you will likely end up having a seizure action taken against you. Whether you are Cdn or US, this means being closely looked at for the next few years, when crossing into Canada. If ever there was an avoidable hassle, this is the one.
    I know for a fact that my H&R pistol does not fall within the definition of Replica firearms, and I still choose to leave it home.
    Secondly, state laws vary from state to state. Federal firearm laws in USA treat Starter pistols differently than Canada, and I have been told that they are an even bigger issue in NY State. I have not seen the legislation for myself. I just don't need a starter pistol that much every time.
    I guess if you are staying out of your own country for a while, this is an issue for you. Plenty of people have crossed back & forth with just about anything you can imagine. Some issues are bigger than others. Firearms are as big as it gets.

Dog food,

but I just recently spoke w/ a US agent via phone: she said we are absolutely allowed to cross into US w/ even an OPENED bag of US-made food, so I'd fight if border agent wants to take yours: keep it in the bag. I haven't tested this yet!
    I'll take you on Swanson

Contact US Customs to find out their current policy.
    Personal quantities (a few bags) of dog food is rarely an issue coming to Canada, but the fact is.......
    Beef based dog food is not allowed to enter Canada unless it has been inspected by the Dept of Agriculture.(ie Don't bring it)
    Dog food is taxable.

You will find that your border-crossing experience either way is MOST dependent upon your friendly attitude & (unfortunately) the mood of any particular agent on any particular day. I cross many times a year & rarely have had issues.
    The reputation of Women officers being worse to deal with than men..............is true
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I will say again, if you cross into Canada with a starter pistol, you are more likely to lose it than not. If that starter pistol is found and not declared, you will likely end up having a seizure action taken against you
    This is different than what I was told when I called Canadian customs asking specifically about a blank gun. Canada called it a theatrical gun and it was not considered a pistol. Based on that conversation, I've never declared a blank gun and they've never checked. I used to have a copy of the specific Canadian federal law on theatrical guns in the truck when I crossed the border but after a few years of going across twice a year I threw it away.

I have always declared my shotgun and have paid the fee for driving it through Canada.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

re: Dog Food, what if you can't get the kind of dog food that you normally feed? Sounds like there is just no way around the dog food issue. that certainly would be a deal breaker for me with 16 dogs.

Kris
    BLACKTAIL LABRADORS

"I never feel bad for myself" - Charles Barkley