The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older dogs and UTI

Default Older dogs and UTI

I have a 14 yr and a 12 yr GR. The last year they have both come down with 2 UTI's and I just came home to a mess. I know the older girl has another and now I suspect Zek has one too. Started meds last nite for Jaz, taking Zek to vet tomorrow. They have not had these throughout their lives, just as they have become elderly. They have had blood work done and are fine. Eat fine and act fine. I am going to pay a dog sitter to start coming out at noon to let them out. Everyone holds it for 8.5 hours M-Thru. I suspect that is too long for the elderly-hence the doggie sitter. They have both been holding it fine at night from 9 to 5:30. Is it more common for older dogs to get UTI's?

Yes, it is common for older dogs to get UTIs. In fact, I had a vet tell me once that it's one of the first things she checks with every older dog she sees, since they often go undiagnosed.

I think letting the dogs out more frequently is a great idea. I would also consider adding cranberry caps to their diet. When I've fed cranberry I've given 1800 mg daily.

I would also consider adding probiotics to their diet, if you aren't doing that already. Good bacteria in the gut helps keep bad bacteria in check - both in and out of the gut.

What is probiotics and what are symptoms for URI. I have an older dog and I'm always worried about him even though he seems fine but has really slowed down.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

There is a product called Cran Plus that has considerably more of the compound in cranberries that acidifies the urine. Oldr dogs should be on probiotics to help them utilize their food.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Sitting here waiting for vet to call. I'm watching the old guy play with Ryd and thinking about old dogs. How time flies. I'm ashamed of myself for getting mad last night cleaning up the house- I stepped outside to yell-but they knew I was unhappy. No excuse for that. Taking care of the old is not a burden but a privledge-wish I didn't work full time, this wouldn't weigh on me so much. Not to the point in our lives to where I can go part time....
    I've been preparing-we built a fenced in area off the back of the house this spring. May not sound like much, but we have 40 acres-not a nice neat backyard. It gets expensive and I'm particular about the landscaping/astetics. Of course the ADD child jumps it-apparently 4 ft.isn't high enough. But the old dogs like the "crib" as we call it. So someone letting them out can use the crib and not have to chase down the deaf half blind dogs. Now to find out how much a dog sitter stopping by once a day is going to cost me...

I've gotten Ammonil for the boys-cranberry wasn't strong enough for Ruckus who has chronic UTI issues. Next investment is a water softener-tired of high ph water. Will pick up the probiotics today for everyone. We are blessed to have all our dogs-Jaz was our first and is now ancient for a golden. Zek, according to U of I is supposed to be dead-9 years since that diagnosis. He is still going strong-so between luck, a good witch doctor and my refusal to just give up-I must have done something right.

Old dogs are sweet, gray faces and calm quiet acceptence of aging. Selective hearing, sleeping more, getting up slower, the granny dash to fetch the bumper.

Time is so precious...

My 14 week old blf has a UTI right now. I heard it is common in real young dogs and then again later in life in the older dogs. Can anyone confirm that? 3rd day of antibiotics and she seems to be doing much better.
    HR Winter Hill's Smokin Ruby "Ruby"
    Blindfaith's Dream Trip "Stella"

My 13-year-old suddenly became incontinent this summer. Went to a traditional vet. Put her on antibiotics. Cleared up some, but still leaking. Went to another vet. Tried another antibiotic. Same result. So they both said, "Well, she's old and spayed, so she's incontinent." WRONG!!

I went to a wonderful alternative vet in Nampa, ID. She used some different methods to diagnose her. Discovered she did have a UTI, but needed a different antibiotic for longer. Also found her tick disease had flared up. So we treated the UTI. She checked her after 2 weeks and she still needed another week. Then we treated the tick disease with doxycycline. Also had some herbs and essential oils.

Zena is no longer incontinent. Not only that, but she was a very sick animal when I first took her in. Her length and quality of life have been greatly improved because of Dr. Ault's help. If your dog's incontinence just developed, there is something wrong. Keep after it until you get it cured.
    photo by Mary Hillmann

Vets need to do a culture and sensitivity (which determines the best antibiotic) but some use the shotgun approach and just give their usual antibiotic. Ask for a culture and sensitivity to be sent out when they start the dog on an antibiotics so you can switch when the sensitivity comes back usually about 3 days later.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    There is a product called Cran Plus that has considerably more of the compound in cranberries that acidifies the urine. Oldr dogs should be on probiotics to help them utilize their food.
    Where can you buy this?

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Vets need to do a culture and sensitivity (which determines the best antibiotic) but some use the shotgun approach and just give their usual antibiotic. Ask for a culture and sensitivity to be sent out when they start the dog on an antibiotics so you can switch when the sensitivity comes back usually about 3 days later.
    Yes.... UTIs are common in older females, especially. It gets to the point where you can't get rid of them. And eventually, can end their life. A friend of mine recently went through this...... over a course of a couple of years of UTIs and culture and sensitivity tests.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com