The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking Age?

Default Drinking Age?

What should the legal age of consumption and purchase be in the US of A??? And why?

Not 21, that's for sure.

Interesting question. When I was a kid in Switzerland and Italy, there was no age limit. I drank wine and beer regularly beginning at age 12. After getting violently drunk a few times at the age of 14, I decided I hated that and have not been truly drunk since. When I returned to America for college, the drinking age was 21. However, just as I turned 21, it was reduced to 18 on the basis that if you were old enough to die in Vietnam, you were old enough to vote and drink. I still believe there is merit to that position. However, it is also clear that driving while intoxicated seems to be a particular issue for the younger among us. My ex wife's suggested approach was straightforward. Get rid of the drinking age but don't allow driver's licenses to be issued to anyone under the age of 25.

I would tend to opt for a policy that makes drinking legal for any legal adult -- age 18. I would also permit younger children to drink in the company of their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Interesting question. When I was a kid in Switzerland and Italy, there was no age limit. I drank wine and beer regularly beginning at age 12. After getting violently drunk a few times at the age of 14, I decided I hated that and have not been truly drunk since. When I returned to America for college, the drinking age was 21. However, just as I turned 21, it was reduced to 18 on the basis that if you were old enough to die in Vietnam, you were old enough to vote and drink. I still believe there is merit to that position. However, it is also clear that driving while intoxicated seems to be a particular issue for the younger among us. My ex wife's suggested approach was straightforward. Get rid of the drinking age but don't allow driver's licenses to be issued to anyone under the age of 25.

I would tend to opt for a policy that makes drinking legal for any legal adult -- age 18. I would also permit younger children to drink in the company of their parents.
    That's ridiculus, I defy you to show one state that lowered the drinking age laws based on that criteria.
    You can't, they didn't.

In the early 70's in MO you could drink beer at 18.
    It was subsequently raised to 21 in 1974.
    I guess they raised it becuase Viet Nam was over?

ABSURD regards,
    Last edited by road kill; 12-13-2009 at 08:30 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Very simple answer:

For responsible people -- any age (with adult supervision under 18)

For irresponsible people -- never

The older I get, the more I like the 21 limit, but in all fairness, I find it difficult to ask 18 year olds to sign up for the selective service, and ask them to march into battle, but then wait 3 more years to be "old enough" to have a victory toast.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

What was the old saw back when the same argument was was made after they raised the age form 18 to 21.

When you go fight for your country we'll give you a drink.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Very simple answer:

For responsible people -- any age (with adult supervision under 18)

For irresponsible people -- never

The older I get, the more I like the 21 limit, but in all fairness, I find it difficult to ask 18 year olds to sign up for the selective service, and ask them to march into battle, but then wait 3 more years to be "old enough" to have a victory toast.
    #1---What does signing up for the Selective Service have to do with maturity?
    #2---What percentage of 18 year olds are marching into battle?

Sorry DNF, that is an old hippy argument (rationalization).

You think an 18 year old at a home should be able to drink because some OTHER 18 year old is in the military>
    Convoluted reasoning at best!!

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

Maybe they ought to take a page from the military. How about a booze boot camp?

At 18, if you want to drink they take you from your home for a couple months and essentially take away all your freedoms while they train you on what to do and how to drink responsibly. Lastly, they never let them drink without a commander's supervision (i got no problem with this so long as the taxpayers don't foot the bill).

Politicians can count. They know that 18 year olds don't vote while those that would oppose this (their parents and parent's neighbors) DO vote.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

There is alot to be said about not making something a sin
    My experience is similar to Jeffs.
    we were alowed to drink alcohole with meals and no big deal was made
    non of us grew up sloshes.
    We always drank whisky with home made chicken soup,, That'll cure what ales you.
    And my dad would let us have a glass of beer when company came over
    for a kid its fun but you know it really doesnt taste good to a kid,, so after a while we not not even think about it.

I'm the only one of my brothers who probably ever got drunk as I approached man hood,,and it was only a few times,,after the horendous fight with a tree I quit doing that

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    Maybe they ought to take a page from the military. How about a booze boot camp?

At 18, if you want to drink they take you from your home for a couple months and essentially take away all your freedoms while they train you on what to do and how to drink responsibly. Lastly, they never let them drink without a commander's supervision (i got no problem with this so long as the taxpayers don't foot the bill).
    It already exists.

They call it 'college'. Oh, wait. You said responsibly...my bad.