The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Drinking Age?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    When I was in high school, the drinking age in Wisconsin's Washington County was 18 for beer and wine in so called minor bars. Where they served hard liquor you had to be 21 to be allowed into those establisments.

    However, that never stopped us from drinking 16 years old if we wanted to. We always found someone to buy beer for us.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    if 10 kids go in the military, the other 990 out of 1,000 should get to drink is foolish.



    stan b
    But if 10 kids DWI should another 990 be in effect held accountable for their peers actions? (10/1000=1/100=1% if these numbers are any more clear...)

    Also I recognize and appreciate those who voluntarilly enlist and fight especuially in a time of war, but we should not forget that registration with the selctive service is mandatory. And many men (yes men, not boys) have gone and fought for Uncle Sam whether they liked it or not...

  3. #23
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    When I was in high school, the drinking age in Wisconsin's Washington County was 18 for beer and wine in so called minor bars. Where they served hard liquor you had to be 21 to be allowed into those establisments.

    However, that never stopped us from drinking 16 years old if we wanted to. We always found someone to buy beer for us.
    WHAT???
    Stan b & Elvis

  4. #24
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,112

    Default

    Drinking age in Florida was 18 until 82/83. I was just on the 18 year old side of the law. Guess who bought for all their friends who were a year younger.
    MHO is who cares 16, 18 30
    The bigger question is why are there people sitting in jail for possession of marijuana
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  5. #25
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Drinking age in Florida was 18 until 82/83. I was just on the 18 year old side of the law. Guess who bought for all their friends who were a year younger.
    MHO is who cares 16, 18 30
    The bigger question is why are there people sitting in jail for possession of marijuana
    Here is the bigger dichotomy on that issue.

    Why are people with 5 & 6 DUI's still NOT in jail??
    Stan b & Elvis

  6. #26
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,824

    Default

    becoming law in July 1970. In response almost all remaining states reduced the drinking age as well. However, the number of alcohol related traffic accidents began to rise quickly. Some studies also showed an increase in the number of suicides of persons aged 18-20 increasing as well. In reaction the Federal Highway administration linked Federal support for roads to adoption of age 21 as the limit for drinking and almost every state complied quickly. The US remains one of the only countries in the world that restricts drinking for persons aged 18 and older.
    Seems logical that drinking at age 18 will increase DUIs ... none of us is really all that smart when we are 18

    Part of the argument for the age 18 drinking age was the draft age argument mentioned. The other was that if you were old enough to vote, you should be old enough to drink. Come to think of it, maybe the voting age should be raised as well if we aren't that smart at 18?

    NYS used to be 18, and adjoining CT was 21. Guess where the teens went to party? Ultimately, NY raised its drinking age to 21 since NY and CT agreed that it was a problem for DUIs.

    I think Europe is less focused on this (not sure why) ... as a kid in an Italian immigrant family, the young kids were allowed to have wine diluted with water on special occasions (like Christmas dinner). I don't know that anyone from such families grew up to be alcoholics any more than families with stricter alcohol attitudes.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    307

    Default

    The state line crossing to drink still exists in a big way, the drinking age in the great white north is 18 or 19 depending on which province, guess where the kids from colleges near the border are driving to and from on a Saturday night...

    I think perhaps the underlying problem is that we aren't fully granting adults the rights that they ought to recieve as adults, in exchange for the down sides of becoming an adult. Anyone who votes or is registered in the selective service can't rightfully be regarded as "sort of adult". Perhaps the big kid age should be 18 or 21, but at that point one does assume both the rights and responsibilities of adulthood. Also I'm not sure if this is true of all Candian provinces but in Ontario I belive there is an extra year of public school and so 19 years seems somewhat more appropriate.

    Another age old question, if (drinking is) a victimless crime (this assumes a responsible drinker) is it ethical to prosecute?

  8. #28
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    insurance companies have scales based on age which in essence treat the young as "sort of an adults" based on accident rates.

    a bright line is importand in determining adulthood, but all issues aren't linked to adulthood. Some are linked to responsibility.
    Last edited by subroc; 12-14-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    subroc

    Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

  9. #29
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Seems logical that drinking at age 18 will increase DUIs ... none of us is really all that smart when we are 18

    Part of the argument for the age 18 drinking age was the draft age argument mentioned. The other was that if you were old enough to vote, you should be old enough to drink. Come to think of it, maybe the voting age should be raised as well if we aren't that smart at 18?

    NYS used to be 18, and adjoining CT was 21. Guess where the teens went to party? Ultimately, NY raised its drinking age to 21 since NY and CT agreed that it was a problem for DUIs.

    I think Europe is less focused on this (not sure why) ... as a kid in an Italian immigrant family, the young kids were allowed to have wine diluted with water on special occasions (like Christmas dinner). I don't know that anyone from such families grew up to be alcoholics any more than families with stricter alcohol attitudes.
    I think one of the major differences between the US and Europe is in access to cars by teens. Throughout Europe the minimum age for driving is 18 and the licensing requirements are much more rigorous than in the US (In Italy for example, the drivers exam includes changing a tire and demonstrating a knowledge of other basic maintenance tasks). Beyond that, however, there is no real culture of car ownership among teens. Very few have access to cars on a routine basis and rely on public transportation instead. Overall car ownership in Europe ranges from about 50-70% of levels found in the US and total miles driven per vehicle is lower still. High gasoline prices and a lot less open land contribute to lower levels of driving and probably reduce the incidence of accidents as well.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    307

    Default

    I've always thought that it was funny how Germany and the US have reversed driving drinking laws. In the US a drivers liscence can usually be had at 16 by most people but the drinking age is 21. In Germany 21 is the driving age and getting a liscence requires alot of money (to the tune of 2K belive) plus passing a far more rigorus test. And in Germany the drinking age is 16 for beer und wine, 18 for the hard stuff. I think that this sort of system would help adress an alarming drinking trend where drinking is learned about and experimented with away from the judgment of parents, and the hard stuff being often cheaper and more concealable is increasing the choice of underage drinkers. This does not result in healthy habits...

    UPDATE: Germanies driving age is 18, but I still think that their system would keep alot of Dummkopfs of of the road who really shouldn't be driving...
    Last edited by Fowlfeller1100; 12-14-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •