The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Log book entry...

Default Log book entry...

No this isn't a star trec lead in, but a reference to keeping a journal on a pup as she starts training. Has anyone done this? I've seen trainers do it for the sake of keeping the dogs in their kennel on track. Has any one done this for a single dog? What kind of format works well for documenting the day to day training sessions, and what info would be best to enter? I've thought of doing a basic "here's what we did today" but it may be harder to look back and find specifics. How about a score card format?

I've thought about this, and I'm working on something similar for work right now. I think a simple Access Database would be best if you are looking to be able to look back for specifics. If you set your tables correctly you could create reports on specific parameters or training elements. With the one I am building for work there will be reports based on time and based on different actions; assistance rendered, discipline actions, etc... Hmmm, starting to sound a bit geek-like. That's what you get for mentioning Star Trek!

I have done it for mine since he was 8 weeks old. He is now 13 months. Everyday has been covered. Sometimes it is a daily entry and sometimes I group days together. It helps greatly when you start working numerous commands/retrieves at once to stay on track and consistant.

I thought everyone did this. Maybe most just have a better memory than me.

I did it for two dogs untill a good samaritan took it upon themself to dispose of an old calendar. It was amazing to see that a slower maturing male had similar entries to the dog started a few years earlier. The amount of time devoted to obedience was different but from force breaking on the time line was very close. I used a week at a glance type caledar, but thought a day planner would have room for extensive notes.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Ahh, Richard, aren't you the one that prepared weekly report cards for your pro to fill in and mail when Dauber was a pup?
    GY

The word "Politics," is derived from "Poly," meaning Many and from "Ticks," meaning Blood Sucking Parasites-Kinky Freidman.

Look on this sites home page http://www.retrievertraining.net/ Under Free Downloads there is a link called Training Dates Spreadsheet check it out.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Pocket calender or day organizer will end up being my choice, and i'll have to come up with a lingo of shorthand type to make entries. Then periodically transfer to my computer in a spreadsheet format. Anyone have any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by greg ye View Post
    Ahh, Richard, aren't you the one that prepared weekly report cards for your pro to fill in and mail when Dauber was a pup?

All Rick had to do was check the appropriate box then drop them in them in the mail and I didn't get any back. Rumor has it that you are going to work as an assistant for someone else, true or false/?
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html