The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The beginning of the end....

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Where are you??!! Our practice collects 28 cents on the dollar billed! 80 cents would be a windfall!

I only went to public school and community college but I can balance a check book and run my little compamny. Either at .28 per dollar you are over charging or you business model suggests you are going to be broke soon. Maybe you hit the lotto and like helping people. I dont make enough off paying customer to take 28 cents on the saw buck and plan on being here next year.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein View Post
    I only went to public school and community college but I can balance a check book and run my little compamny. Either at .28 per dollar you are over charging or you business model suggests you are going to be broke soon. Maybe you hit the lotto and like helping people. I dont make enough off paying customer to take 28 cents on the saw buck and plan on being here next year.
    The average is around .32 on the dollar. 28 cents isn't bad for rural areas. What should I do? Demand cash up front, or tell patients to hit the road?? I know that's the normal business practice, but I can't do that and look at myself in the mirror. I thought with republican in control of the house, senate and whitehouse, I could at least get a tax write-off for all the charity work I do...but it didn't happen. Most doctors are horrible businessmen...and we should all be thankful for that!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I believe that the reality is that unless the rate of growth in health care costs is reduced to a level approaching the rate of growth in the economy as a whole, .....
    Here is the crux of the problem. Cost of healthcare. This bill does not address all the costs that make up healthcare. It will actually drive up costs but increasing the number of insured. Then, decrease costs by restricting coverage. Look at the recent mamogram and Pap test recommendations. This will reduced survival rates but, reduce costs too. Nothing is being done to address tort reform, the cost of new drug development, etc.

The models being used, British, Canadien, etc. do not provide better healthcare than the US system. They might spend less money overall but, they have reduced life expectancies.

I work for in the urgent care division of a private healthcare company. The patients that we treat who seek the best care for the least cost are the ones with the highest co-pays/deductables. They come in when they truly need to be treated and cannot get in to their PCP. They do not request unneccesary procedures and exams. And, they only want the medications they truly need.

It is not uncommon to see a patient who has no out-of-pocket healthcare costs come in and tell us this is the 5th, 6th, 7th,.....visit to a doctor, er, urgent care, clinic, etc. for the same thing! It is not because their problem wasn't treated by the first doctor. It is because they didn't like the diagnosis or treatment and are going to someone else to see if they can get what they want. I'm am not talking about seeking out a second opinion.

This whole mess is not about "fixing" healthcare or providing healthcare to everyone. It is about political paybacks and buying future votes with handouts!

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    The average is around .32 on the dollar. 28 cents isn't bad for rural areas. What should I do? Demand cash up front, or tell patients to hit the road?? I know that's the normal business practice, but I can't do that and look at myself in the mirror. I thought with republican in control of the house, senate and whitehouse, I could at least get a tax write-off for all the charity work I do...but it didn't happen. Most doctors are horrible businessmen...and we should all be thankful for that!
    I just delivered 4 signs to a dentist who just built what I guess to be about a million buck for bldg plus equipment. I went with the wife to a doc yesterday and he had a picture of a vintage cobra. He said it was his and he goes to 3-4 races a year and I am thinking a real vintage cobra prolly set him back over 500 K I guess he is doing OK and I know he aint making it on the 10 dollar co-pay. I assume you can still make a living as a doctor otherwise my cousin wasted a bunch of time and money. I really do hope you are making a living at it.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by code3retrievers View Post
    Sounds like your collections department should be fired.

Why don't you try a better business model and stop trying to get the government to pay your bills for you.

NOt really. That is about the avg. We do better because only 30% have insurance for infertility.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    NOt really. That is about the avg. We do better because only 30% have insurance for infertility.
    Thanks for chiming in BBG. Most people have NO IDEA of the medical profession. They see docs from previous generations double parking Mercedes or Cobras, and think we're all rich! Those were the days of Ronald Reagan, and excesses, and materialism! We're now paying for those extravagances, unfortunately.

Steve, I make a comfortable living on my 28% recovery...and you're welcome to come visit our abode, and you can see my GMC pickup and my wife's Toyota minivan. Again, I'm not complaining at all. In this economy, I count my blessings, and don't ever want to screw my fellow man out of his hard earned benefits, just for the other 72 cents. Sure, I would have to hide the Ferrari if you came to visit, but for now, I'm satisfied with my truck and taking care of the good folks of my town! If I took the conservative advice and attitude of many on this list, I WOULD tell people to pay up front or take a hike....I'd get rich, and pass judgement on those who can't afford to play. Tell 'em to pull themselves up by their bootstraps or else they don't deserve health care. Like I said, lucky for all of us that docs are poor businessmen! (I say "us" because I'm in the same boat too. For Christmas, I helped pay my Mom's $5000 medical expense she incurred by daring to have non-cardiac chest pain and visiting an ER. My parents have "full coverage" by the way.)

Oh, one more small point. My collection department is UPMC...one of the most profitable health care entities in the world. In Pittsburgh, they are second only to BNY-Mellon in total investment holdings. Not bad for a non-profit! You just can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein View Post
    I assume you can still make a living as a doctor otherwise my cousin wasted a bunch of time and money. I really do hope you are making a living at it.
    Sorry to double post here, but yes, you can still make a good living, if you like taking care of people, even if they can't afford to pay.

If your cousin wants to get rich, I suggest he quit medical school and become an elected official in Washington for either the republican or democratic party. Or a lobbyist for Tom Delay. Off hand I can name Ron Paul, Bill Frist, Howard Dean who all left medicine to become politicians. Can't think of any politicians who quit office to go to medical school! (how was that for including both parties and an independent?)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Yea, yea, yea, 7 years down the road and it is Clinton's fault, right. Whats the matter didn't Bush appoint his own people to HUD? After all Bush was in office for 7 years before the people he was supposed to look after went into foreclosure. I don't suppose $4.00 to $5.00 for gasoline had anything to do with it or people losing their jobs, companies going out of business had anything to do with it either?
    Companies are still going out of business, Roger...is that Bush 43's fault almost 2 years into BHO's presidency?

The price of oil is controlled by OPEC and speculators, not any President past, present, or future.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    Companies are still going out of business, Roger...is that Bush 43's fault almost 2 years into BHO's presidency?

The price of oil is controlled by OPEC and speculators, not any President past, present, or future.

kg
    I was talking about 7 years into Bush's presidentcy. Either Bush and his crony's agreed with Clinton's HUD policy or they were too stupid to change it. Pick one.

Oh...okay...so we're not going to consider the monetary, lending, and credit policies that have been instituted since BHO took office and THEIR effect on business losses....shoulda known that....

And FYI, Roger...if you want to delete a post you've made, you can DELETE the whole post rather than putting xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where the post was....just a thought...

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.