The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One of the more interesting polls I've seen

Default One of the more interesting polls I've seen

They give an indication of what kind of reform people support, and what they don't...

http://act.boldprogressives.org/cms/...ce=dkos_st1218

The public is against the direction that the senate has been taking with their bill.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    They give an indication of what kind of reform people support, and what they don't...

http://act.boldprogressives.org/cms/...ce=dkos_st1218

The public is against the direction that the senate has been taking with their bill.
    Unfortunately, what it does say is that the public opposes a personal mandate regardless of how it is structured. Unfortunately, in the absence of a mandate it is impossible to have other insurance reforms that are popular such as elmination of pre-existing condition exclusions, elimination of higher ratings based on higher risk, etc. Those changes are only practical if everyone has coverage since then the risk pool is large enough to minimize the impact. If insurance companies are hit with those restrictions but coverage is not mandated, I wold expect to see more people deciding not to purchase coverage until the "needed" it.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Unfortunately, what it does say is that the public opposes a personal mandate regardless of how it is structured. Unfortunately, in the absence of a mandate it is impossible to have other insurance reforms that are popular such as elmination of pre-existing condition exclusions, elimination of higher ratings based on higher risk, etc. Those changes are only practical if everyone has coverage since then the risk pool is large enough to minimize the impact. If insurance companies are hit with those restrictions but coverage is not mandated, I wold expect to see more people deciding not to purchase coverage until the "needed" it.
    I agree with you. What is discouraging is that we haven't seen advocates from the White House out explaining these things. In fact, they never came out to speak at all until it was time to jump all over Howard Dean.

The poll also shows that the public is even more against mandates when the reforms doesn't provide them with any choice but to go to a private insurance company to purchase their coverage.

What blows my mind is the Republicans claim to be friends of business, but they seem to think that having business foot the bill for healthcare in the US is just fine. This year at renewal, we got hammered with a 49% increase in premiums. We had a couple of minor surgeries and added an older employee.

The one beef I have is that they never asked in the poll about mandate + public option or medicare buy-in.
    Last edited by Buzz; 12-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Why exactly am I required to buy something because I'm alive. If what you propose gets imposed on on insurance companies they will no longer be insurance companies but subsidizing the citizens of America. It's not insurance if you sign up with a condition it is just someone else paying for your medical bill. Should i attempt to take my car in after i wreck and demand the insurance company takes me on and then pay for the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    Why exactly am I required to buy something because I'm alive. If what you propose gets imposed on on insurance companies they will no longer be insurance companies but subsidizing the citizens of America. It's not insurance if you sign up with a condition it is just someone else paying for your medical bill. Should i attempt to take my car in after i wreck and demand the insurance company takes me on and then pay for the bill?
    With universal coverage, risks are easy to estimate and there is no potential for someone to only sign up when they have a problem. Therefore there is no reason for insurance companies to exclude someone from coverage.

Absent universal coverage, if restrictions are not present to prevent abuse, abuse will happen. In those caes, people with low risk factors decide not to purchase coverage. If they are unfortunate enough to be involved in major accidents, they end up being covered my Medicaid or simply not paying their bills in almost all cases. We the taxpayers end up eating the cost of their decision.

Personally, from an economic perspective, I believe that there should either be universal coverage or no coverage at all. An "in between" position from my perspective would be that anyone that fails to buy coverage would not be eligible to receive any medical care without prepayment of all costs. If they subsequently decide they want coverage they should have to pay a substantial penalty in higher premiums and be excluded from reimbursement for pre-existing conditions for a long period and from all other conditions for a period of months. This is somewhat parallel to the approach that was used for Medicare recipients who opted not to purchase prescription coverage.

I believe that the unusually high costs of health care in the US combined with the relatively poor health outcomes relative to other developed countries is a direct result of the manner in which we have organized health insurance.

I believe that the unusually high costs of health care in the US combined with the relatively poor health outcomes relative to other developed countries is a direct result of the manner in which we have organized health insurance.
    And the way we eat Twinkies.
    A morbidly obese nation is not a healthy nation.

I always am taken aback when I pick up the kids at daycare. Kids from 5 to 12, already obese, snacking on sugar-frosted cookies and sodas. God forbid any fruit or vegetables, or water!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

So then it is not insurance...period. If you lied on a form and didn't disclose a pre existing condition then frankly its your own damn fault. I think people forget that insurance are not charities they are businesses. Just because they are in the medical field means that can't make a profit and deserve to be lied to and then eat the bill? I would rather no one had insurance then me having to pay for people to lazy to get it themselves. I pay 100 dollars a month for health, dental, vision and life insurance. If you can't afford 100 dollars than your priorities need to be straightened out.

And still doesn't address the fact that i have to purchase something because of living. Seems a little ridiculous that because my mother gave birth i now have to purchase insurance or face penalties.

I pay 100 dollars a month for health, dental, vision and life insurance. If you can't afford 100 dollars than your priorities need to be straightened out.
    Wow. And I get accused of BS when I state well documented facts here. Let's see a health insurance plan for $100 per month, (I'm sure you're employer isn't providing any help, that would be communism, right?).

I'll bet there's more folks than just me wondering where we can get health, dental, vision and LIFE insurance for a Ben Franklin per month??? And I need less than a quarter-million deductible on health, and less than a 100-year elimination period for life.

I might have been born at night.....but not LAST night!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

So then it is not insurance...period. If you lied on a form and didn't disclose a pre existing condition then frankly its your own damn fault. I think people forget that insurance are not charities they are businesses. Just because they are in the medical field means that can't make a profit and deserve to be lied to and then eat the bill? I would rather no one had insurance then me having to pay for people to lazy to get it themselves. I pay 100 dollars a month for health, dental, vision and life insurance. If you can't afford 100 dollars than your priorities need to be straightened out.

And still doesn't address the fact that i have to purchase something because of living. Seems a little ridiculous that because my mother gave birth i now have to purchase insurance or face penalties.
    At $100/month you presumably are young, live in a low cost area, and may have some limitations on coverage that you may or may not know of or else your employer ispaying for a lot of the cost. One of the major negatives of employer paid insurance is that most employees actually have no idea how much their insurance costs until they find themselves on COBRA with no income and a bill for the total premium. That is one of the reasons I would like to see employers out of the picture. Let emplyees see that money in their paychecks first and then see it being taken out to pay for health insurance.

I pay $600/month for medical and prescription coverage for myself with a $1000 deductible for out of network services. Family coverage for the same plan is almost $2000/month. I live in a high cost area. Nationwide, the average cost for individual coverage is $400-500/month and $1000+ for family coverage. ithin that, older recipients, such as me, may pay 2-3 times the amount paid by younger recipients.

Where's M&K when you need the BS policeman???
    You buy this? Health, dental, vision, AND life for $100/month???!!!
    Come on, or is this just another "if your in the clique, you can do no wrong or spew no BS"??? Total and utter lack of consistency or standards.
    Lots of credibility circling the drain here guys.

What's good for the goose regards.....

(not directed at you goose!)