The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One of the more interesting polls I've seen

Must be a "pay me later" type policy with $5k deductible adn 50/50 co-pay or something of that ilk...I'm thinking $10k death benefit...

Good way to debilitate your savings in the future regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Where's M&K when you need the BS policeman???
    You buy this? Health, dental, vision, AND life for $100/month???!!!
    Come on, or is this just another "if your in the clique, you can do no wrong or spew no BS"??? Total and utter lack of consistency or standards.
    Lots of credibility circling the drain here guys.

What's good for the goose regards.....

(not directed at you goose!)
    My guess is that is his share of his group coverage for a single employee. Dental, Vision and Life are not usually included in an individual policy and when they are they are very minimal benefits ie window dressing. If it is an individual policy, remember, the big print giveth and the small print taketh away.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Yes my employer pays most of the costs but that is my point most places (at least in this area) offer insurance after 90 days of employment so if you can't get health coverage you need to get your priorities correct. DNF would you like me to scan a pay stub so you can see i get 48 dollars taken out every 2 weeks? OR would you rather continue to spew bullshit you know nothing about? The Dental is the same as every other plan in the area i've seen. 1200 limit a year small deductable i don't remember the exact amount. Deductable for catastrophic injury is 750. I'm 22 and single. I have 120k life insurance on top of the 10k that is given by employer. Please check you facts before you start calling people names and a liar DNF or you look like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    I'm 22 and single.
    How did we guess that? Not everyone is though. Good luck in the future. I mean it.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Everyone where i work pays the same amount. The only thing that makes a difference is the extras you can buy and amount of dependents.

If pre-existing conditions are not subject to certain waiting periods/exclusions, then what is being purchased is no longer "insurance". It is something else. Insurance is something you pay for in case a catastrophe occurs ... not after.

So, that pre-existing condition is really a totally different category from everyone else. As cited, without some penalty associated with not purchasing health insurance, ALL of us should just wait until we get sick before purchasing coverage.

Interestingly, we seem to know very little about what Congress is proposing for us. We know that the cost of premiums will have a cap related to income; that the coverage will not include abortions (from what we can tell); and that pre-existing conditions will not preclude coverage. We also know (maybe) that a primary care professional may not always be an MD. We recently learned that there maybe an annual cap on benefits (maybe?). OTOH, we don't know anything, really, about deductibles or co-pays. As I understand it, since the most recent changes have been made behind closed doors by only relatively few members of the Senate, even the Senators who will have to vote on the bill will not have seen it until just hours before they must vote on it.

So much for transparency in the decision-making process. Reform may be needed, but if the reform does not accomplish improvement, it is no better than no reform at all. It simply establishes a mammouth bureaucracy which will control up 20% to 30% of the economy.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    Yes my employer pays most of the costs but that is my point most places (at least in this area) offer insurance after 90 days of employment so if you can't get health coverage you need to get your priorities correct. DNF would you like me to scan a pay stub so you can see i get 48 dollars taken out every 2 weeks? OR would you rather continue to spew bullshit you know nothing about? The Dental is the same as every other plan in the area i've seen. 1200 limit a year small deductable i don't remember the exact amount. Deductable for catastrophic injury is 750. I'm 22 and single. I have 120k life insurance on top of the 10k that is given by employer. Please check you facts before you start calling people names and a liar DNF or you look like an idiot.
    You implied that your insurance costs 100/month all by yourself. Let's see what you said:

I would rather no one had insurance then me having to pay for people to lazy to get it themselves. I pay 100 dollars a month for health, dental, vision and life insurance. If you can't afford 100 dollars than your priorities need to be straightened out.

Hmmm...YOU having to pay for others? You have no problem with others (your company) paying for YOU?? You glossed over that little point during your rant about your lazy fellow man.

And that part about "if you can't affor 100 dollars..."

So that assumes everyone else out there without insurance is working for your company or a similar one, and just chooses not to pay??

Got a news flash for ya, YOU are the idiot if you think most unisnsured people in this country are being offered a similar benefit package as yours, and are just choosing not to pay 100 bucks per month!!!

Many uninsured are people who have worked longer than you have. Longer than you've been ALIVE, I might add. Many who have had the benefits they signed on for back in the 70s yanked out from under their feet, despite contracts. Don't get so smug.

I'm happy that you have such a benevolent employer. I'm sure millions of people wish they had the opportunity to buy into such a good policy. I understand much of your comments now though. When I was 22, I was an angry young republican too! Thankfully, I outgrew it.

Have a nice day
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

It is great that eildydar is one of the 60% of employees who receives health insurance through their job and better still that he works for an employer that picks up the bulk of the cost. Fo the 40% of people who do not receive coverage through an employer, or for those who do but who must still pay the bulk of the cost from their own pockets, the situation is very, very different. However, there is no question that the debate about health insurance is colored primarily by the fact that the majority of the population has no idea how much their coverage actually costs or the cost of the health services they consume. In that situation, how can the "free market" possibly work? It is no surprise that in the area of health care that free market capitalism hasn't worked -- it hasn't been given a chance. Either lket it work by eliminating all hidden health insurance subsidies -- whether from the government or from employers -- or recognize that a regulator approach will be needed to control costs and try to structure that approach to mimic economic forces as much as possible.

Jeff,
    I have patients who have lost insurance come to me for screening colonoscopies and ask how much out of pocket this is going to be for them. I have to tell them that honestly, I don't know. And I'm the guy doing them, and through some circuitous method, getting paid at the end of the month! You hit the nail square on the head.

I had a paper published this year evaluating a new laparoscopic approach to colon cancer. A nice part of the paper was to be the cost-effectiveness of the procedure, as it had the potential to save thousands of dollars per procedure, and more importantly, save labor resources. When I approached the billing office to gather cost data, they could not give me a straight number of what certain items cost! "it depends on who's paying, what insurance, their tax status....oh, then there's what WE charge, what the stuff costs us....." on and on! I left there with my head spinning, wondering how in the HELL would an elderly couple with medicare, medicare gap, etc...figure out how the hell to pay their bills???

And for free-markets to work, there has to be a choice. Most people, I would hazard to guess, are locked into some type of network of hospitals or physicians, and really have no "choice" in a usual sense of the word.

It's so darned complex, I'm surprised a 2000 page bill even begins to approach the issue!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Until we are ready for a single-payer plan--perhaps one in which the companies that are now insurance companies are payed fairly and well to be administration companies--then these are the debates and dilemmas we're going to be faced with, and there is simply no resolving them. There might be mitigation of damage (which I have no faith this bill will do, but anyway), but there are no solutions.

When will we be ready? I think (off-hand) we need three things: first, for people to accept the idea that sometimes, in order to best take care of ourselves, we also need to take care of others (EVERYONE in the insurance pool--hold your nose and 1,2,3 jump); and second, for people to have a government that they trust to pass SIMPLE legislation that hands over the reigns of control elsewhere; and third, a trustworthy corporate "elsewhere."

We're not ready. But I sure wish there were some politicians bold enough to make the argument.

Single-payer national insurance is one of the few lefty ideals I have left over in my middle age, and the more arguments I hear, the more I'm convinced it's the way to go...

Either that, or screw all regulation entirely, and every man, woman, and child for himself--and barter and trade if necessary. If you're going to scream free market--free the market. I'm sure everyone would know what things cost, and things would cost a hell of a lot less, and payment arrangements if necessary would be made that satisfied both private parties. I don't think we're ready for that, either--it will take a lot more than rhetoric to put the insurance genie back in the bottle.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH