The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you/did you earn a living?

Default how do you/did you earn a living?

i thought it might be interesting if we knew what each other does for work, or did for work if retired. it might give our discussions an additional dimension, and help us to understand each other better.

i'll start; i was a machinist in several small shops in the mid 70's, then went to work as a machinist in a shipyard that builds warships for the U.S. Navy for 20 years before taking a job in design at that same shipyard. hopefully i'll retire from that job in another 6 or 7 years.

being a shipbuilder has been a rich and rewarding career. though my higher education was supposed to take me in another direction, i wouldn't change a thing if i had it to do over again.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Cool thread idea. I am a machinist/toolmaker also. I work at a factory that manufactures Bosch washing machines and dryers. I went through a 3.5 year apprenticeship fresh out of high school and received a degree in Manufacturing technology. Now, I have gone back to school and I am working on two additional degrees because I want to get a job teaching at the local college. I have quite a bit longer than you before I retire though...
    Last edited by ducknwork; 12-21-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Captain on municipal fire department 10 years away from retirement.

My dad started a tree service in Rye, NY after ww2. Rye's an affluent town of stockbrokers and corporate ceo's. I grew into that business and worked there until 7 years ago, when I sold it and the family home to move up to Somers Connecticut to be with my wife and kids. I immediately got bored, bought all new equipment and started a new business. It's a very small hobby business with no employees, but i love what I do, so....that's it.
    Paul, did you ever hear of the Direktor boat yard in Mamaroneck? I went to school with the kids. Last I heard they had built a few aluminum cutters for the Coast guard. I don't think that venture went well though.
    Walt

In retirement I continue to work as a photographer, dog breeder and computer consultant. Previously I was President/Owner of an IT consulting company serving the pharmaceutical, telecommunications, advertising, and financial services industries. Prior to that I was a Partner in a major international accounting/consulting company where I directed their decision support and microcomputer consulting practices, a litigation support practice, an environmental consulting practice, and a practice specializing in health benefits management.

Started out as a pilot, then flight instructor during college. When PanAm dumped 8000 pilots on the job market, got serious about school and ended up in med school after a year of graduate work. After a stint of active duty, returned to residency for general surgery then colon and rectal fellowship. The most fun job I had was two years of guiding goose-hunts around Anahuac, Texas. Didn't pay very well, and nearly got KO'd by a meteoric honker more than once, but had everything a young man needed at the time. Well, almost.

Great idea Paul
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Well lets see. I was thinking about retirement in a few years but my current occupation as a life and health insurance agent seems to be quite iffy right now as many clients and prospects are waiting for Obama to take care of them. I'm also invest in oil and gas exploration and happen to enjoy dogs, training, hunt tests, hunting and firearms (and jacking with Yardley and DNF). What's not to like about the current administration?
    Last edited by M&K's Retrievers; 12-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I'm a Union Carpenter. Currently we've been building sewage treatment plants. No complaints other than I was hoping to be laid off to do a little more duck hunting this winter.
    Last edited by Matt's Grizz; 12-21-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling

I've had sort of three careers.

Trained as a City Manager and served as the assistant for 2 years.

Entered the Air Force. After serving in every officer role in a small base hospital...Registrar, Medical Supply, Personnel, and Business Mgr, I moved into Special Projects...3 years in automation, 6 years in project management and communications, 3 years logistics planning, and another 6 years in automation.

Upon retirement from the Air Force, started with the Dept of Mental Health and continued my role as the dirty little jobs officer.....doing anything that needs doing that no one else was willing to try...policies and administrative code, planning, construction management. Presently I work in lands. We own 15,000+ acres of land that's split between forest, agriculture, shopping centers, and our own facilities. Lots of gas wells and pipelines. I'm the only profit center in the Dept with revenues exceeding expenditures by $1+ million per year.

In six months, I'll retire again.

Eric

Work in Info Tech for a local fruit broker. 2nd largest in the western US. Got a degree in Network Administration but work doing database and techs support as needed.(I hate it. You hiring a network admin Jeff?!)