The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you/did you earn a living?

My only career has been that of an investment advisor, going on 19 years now.

I think I filled out one of these years ago on the main RTF BB. Since I have problems recalling what I had for breakfast, I may disremember what I wrote back then, and discover a whole new profession involvement.

After some college and military stint, started in radio in '60. Educated in all aspects from DJ to engineering/management. Morning jock for many years at my own station starting in '68. Became strictly management/engineer after '72 flood wiped us out.

Sold out both AM & FM in '80. Started own consulting/engineering business. Primarily focusing on design and construction of facilities, I've built several operations from Missoula, MT to Talahassee, FL. AMs from kilowatters to 50 gallon 6-tower directionals. FMs from small college outfits to 100 thousand watter multi systems in combined or shared status.

Retired for the most part, but still do consulting and engineering for a few small stations that can't find any warm bodies to do those chores out here in fly-over country.

Been involved in trialing, hunt testing, dog training for over 25 years, but the main reason for the labs is hunting...been doing that for over 60 years...always with a lab. That's a lot more fun now since I learned how to train one. Sure beats throwing stones in the slough to get them to hunt for the duck, rather than wading in after those birds with only my skivvies on.

UB...still concerned my two stabs at this aren't in conflict with each other. (Kinda wish I'd had some D.E.T. experience like HEW.)
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Smile

Nice thread. I have been in the Navy for 22+ years and will be retiring effectively in April. My 1st 10 years I was a Navy Aircrewman, ran radar and avionics on S3B Vikings and SH60B Seahawks. After that I was commissioned in the Navy Nurse Corps and have held varied positions from staff nurse, flight nurse, to Command Business Advisor. Currently the head of an Adult and Family Medicine Clinic at a command that is preparing to merge with the VA. Looking forward to my retirement from the Navy so I can spend more time with my wife, family, friends, and dogs. Would like to find a Nursing Management job in the St. Louis metro area.
    Huntsman Tollers
    Matt & Julie Martin

4 years 3rd Recon Bn U.S. Marine Corps. I hung steel for a few years after I got out until I wound up in the restaurant and bar business. I owned a jazz club in Atlanta during the late 80's early 90's. Moved back home and got involved in church and went back to college at 38. I got a degree in Spanish with a minor in Latin american culture and started doing pro bono legal work with immigrants. Helping them get bail, translating for the sheriff and police depts. basically helping people who don't speak English navigate the legal system. (Yes they are illegal) I am currently pastoring a Baptist Church in Cochran. I just finished my master's degree from Luther Rice Seminary. I have a dog, we run Field Trials, we go out in the first a lot.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

retired after 45 rears of heavy duty truck mechanic.

I'm in my 34th year in our family owned metal tube fabricating shop.We are in our 3rd generation and there are two other brothers that run it with me.Primarily I do tool design and procedure developement for new products.

Great thread. Now we know who we can't argue with about various topics.

Stared in construction at age 14 as a laborer, did just about every job there was through college, became a naval officer then an investment banker. Went back to grad school and stumbled into the then nascent independent power business. Spent a number of years doing that, mostly internationally, and came back to HQ as a corporate nerd just in time for Enron to blow up the industry. After six months of almost 24/7 trying to keep our company from following many others down the drain (and when my old dog died), I took a package and traveled the country trout fishing for six months. When I realized that I couldn't make a living as a fish bum, I started a renewable energy business--we develop, own and operate power plants that use waste wood as fuel.

I'm retired. I have worn quite a few different hats. Most of the time I worked as a Social Worker-- 19 years in child protection, another 8 years as a vulnerable adult worker. I also have been a teacher for 7 years, three years as a geography and earth sciences instructor at Purdue. I have worked as a functional analyst for a major software project. I have also been a cartographer doing digital maps for flight systems, a state park interpreter (naturalist/historian) and a hourly worker for Ford Motor Company.

Since retiring, my life has gone to the dogs. I have two competition dogs (Labs). I do photography for both a hobby and an occasional buck. I design and build my own canoes (when I have time.) I enjoy hunting and trout fishing.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 12-23-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Started young with an ontrpeneor spririt,,,never could spell though.After learning portions of the residential construction trade,,,,started a home improvement buisiness,,, a few years later got into retriever training to ease my duckaholic addiction,,,,as time went on I figured I could write off alot of my hunting and dog training equipment by making money training dogs. One thing lead to another,,,then my wife said I was going to have to choose one line of work,,,,so I threw my hammer in the field and never looked back.
    Since then I have trained termite detection dogs for pest control companies,, gun dogs including pointers and hunt test dogs. I trained a few goosechasers and a few sheep rounder uppers,, Behavior modification , aggression and guntest dogs are all I specialize in now.

I do have an old clunker project out in the yard that I hope to someday finish. Its a GTO,,,,I mean GSD and hope to someday sic him on a poltician

Pete