The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You could have heard a pin drop (fwd'd e-mail)

Default You could have heard a pin drop (fwd'd e-mail)

I received this via e-mail;
    You may have seen this before, but certainly worth a second read and thought! I really don't care it they "Snopes" or not, the ideas are what matters, not the particulars.

At a time when our president and other politicians tend to apologize for our country's prior actions, here's a refresher on how some of our previous patriots handled negative comments about our country.

===========================================

President John F. Kennedy's Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 1960's when France's President DeGaule decided to pull out of NATO. DeGaule said he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible.

Rusk responded, "Does that include the American soldiers who are buried here?

DeGuale did not respond.

You could have heard a pin drop
    ==========================================>

When in England , at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by President George Bush.

He answered by saying, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders.. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."
    You could have heard a pin drop.

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying, "Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: "Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?'

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian, and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of international Officers that included personnel from most of those countries.

Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks. A French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas, Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, "Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than
    speaking French?"

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied, "Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."

==========================================

AND, THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...

Robert Whiting , an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on luggage.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?", the customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had previously been to France. "Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."

The American said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944, to help liberate this country from the Germans, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to."

========================================

If you are proud to be an American, pass this on!

I am proud to be of this land, GOD BLESS AMERICA
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

that's a great read; and no doubt true......

the arrogance of the french has always bothered me. i'm sure i'm not alone on that one...-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Still good even though I have read it numerous times before.

You are correct, it doesn't checkout with Snopes.

I just don't understand all the distain for the French.

Do you hate them because they were correct about Iraq? The USA has upset the balance of power in the middle east. Their intelligence service stated there were no WMD's. Iraq will return to its former self after we leave. Same for Afganistan.

Do you hate them because they told us in 1962 that getting involved with Vietnam would be a mistake?

Lets not forget that without them, we would have not won at Yorktown.
    Nor would be be using the French word. "liberty".

If you want to be angry about some people, start with Bill Clinton, George Bush and Hussien Obama! The French are just minding thier own business.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    Franco....My mothers father would disagree with you. He was an englishman who fought alongside the french in world war 1. He always said there were more frenchmen shot in the ass then in the chest. I wasn't there, but I never had any reason to doubt a man that served so valiantly in that war.
    Walt
    WW1..Battle of the Somme, the Brits lost 80,000 men in 1 days fighting! The Allied Commanders didn't learn how to fight that war until late 1918. If what you are saying is true, then I don't blame any Allied soldier for not having any faith in thier commanders!

P S The dislike between the Brits and French goes back several 100 years so, I would take whatever any of them said about the other with a grain of salt.

P S S The French Foreign Legion is still the world standard for Special Forces. THey just do a better job of picking thier wars.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-22-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

How about the hundreds of thousands of Bermark Germans that surrendered in WW2. Was the German Army cowards too? I think that man for man, they were the best even with thier defeat.

What about the Italians in WW2? They surrendered when they ran out of wine! The Italian Army was a beast fighting against the Etheopians but were no match of the U S 1st Division! Were are the Italian Army jokes?

People tend to think differently when they have 30 and 50 caliber rounds being shot at them. And, politicians are NO friends of the military.

I could go on an on with examples.

I just don't have the energy to hate several million people...most of whom I've never met. I do like the knives they produce in the Sabatier region. Best in the world. Vino isn't bad either.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

But those are statistics, not the personal battleground experiences that my grandfather was speaking of. He wasn't speaking about the final body count Franco, he was talking about what he saw with his own eyes.
    You don't really want to compare Germans to the French do you?
    Walt
    Those are not statistics they are "generalities" just like the original posters comments.

Compare Germans to French, OK.
    The French revolutionized warfare in the 19th Century, a long time before there was ever a thing called the German Army. French military history was THE curriculum at all of our military colleges until the late 19th century. The French Foreign Legion through their experience were light years ahead of any country in combating guerrilla warfare in modern times.

I just don't get this thread. There was a lot of anti-French sentiment in 03 because they would not buy into Bush's folley. But, history is history and there is nothing there to back up that the French Army was cowardice or more cowardice than any other army in the same situation.

P S My late great Uncle served in WW1 and he suffered from the effects of Mustard Gas all his life. I'll bet that had he had it all to do over again, he would have sprinted away from the front trying to avoid it!
    Last edited by Franco; 12-22-2009 at 03:41 PM.

[quote=dnf777;540412]I just don't have the energy to hate several million people...most of whom I've never met. I do like the knives they produce in the Sabatier region. Best in the world. Vino isn't bad either.[/quote]

The NAPA Valley Public Relations Firms can compare Ca. wines to French wines all day long but, the proof is in the glass. There is a reason those wines are considered the best in the world, and it has to do with the climate and soil.

Dave.... I don't hate the French, but pops did. I'm gonna stop because just about everything Franco posts, I agree with. I hope he doesn't study Savate!!
    Walt
    Only when I'm watching UFC on Spike TV!