The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You could have heard a pin drop (fwd'd e-mail)

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

The NAPA Valley Public Relations Firms can compare Ca. wines to French wines all day long but, the proof is in the glass. There is a reason those wines are considered the best in the world, and it has to do with the climate and soil.

No wonder French wine is good most if not all French wine is made from grapes grown from cuttings originating in the United States.

There would be no French wine without the United States.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I can add one and I personally know it to be true.

I was assigned to HQ USAFE in the mid-80's. We had just gotten a new 4 star. About 2 weeks after he reported in, he requested a briefing on the 4109 and directed all affected agencies to have folks there for his questions.

The 4109 was the master plan that dealt with any war against the Warsaw Pact countries. It was one intricate document and was about 5 3 inch ring binders . A change to a page by the Command Surgeon's could take a year's worth of coordination through all the other staff agencies. So, we listened with baited breath to the 2 hour parade of briefers and....nary a peep from the front row.

Finally the end of the briefing....dead silence. We were all waiting to hear the shoe drop. Then he spoke. "Well, I see only one change that needs to be made...."

Waiting, waiting....

"It's just not fair. When the war starts, we need to chop the French to the Warsaw Pact. We had 'em last time."

Then he got up and walked out to about 5 seconds of stunned silence.

Eric

P S S The French Foreign Legion is still the world standard for Special Forces. THey just do a better job of picking thier wars.
    Assuming that is right, and I don't concede it is, aren't those that populate the French Foreign Legion all "not" French.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Assuming that is right, and I don't concede it is, aren't those that populate the French Foreign Legion all "not" French.
    The NCO's come from all over the globe including France but, the commanders are French.

As an American I don't want to diss our Special Forces. But, to assume that our's is much better than any others is a bit of a streach.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-23-2009 at 11:11 AM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

[quote=K G;540758]

This was the first truly mechanized war, Franco. Aircraft and tanks both made their debut here...EVERYONE was trying to figure out how to fight this war...but please don't suggest that the French had anything to do with the winning of this war, except for providing the ground it was fought on.

/quote]

Instead of making stuff up, could you quote me where I suggested the French won this war on thier own? If anything, I gave lots of credit the the Brit general that figured out how to break the stalemate by using artillary in concert with tanks and infantry! The French were however a big part of our efforts including the USA, British, Canadians and Australians.

I'm sticking up for the French because I think they get a bad rap because they didn't agree with George Bush! In hindsight, I would say that they were right in not buying into Bush's folley.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-23-2009 at 11:10 AM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Feel free to defend anyone you want but, I believe United States opinion against the French goes pretty far back, well before President George W. Bush was even alive. On the world stage, whenever The Unitd States needs French support, we can count on the French to stick it to us.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Article [II.]

How about Posting #24, it would give some insight into your ability to judge American Special Operations which includes SEALS, Special Forces, Parajumpers + CCT, and MARSOC Marines as well as their support. It will also help in the ability to judge your statement below.

The NCO's come from all over the globe including France but, the commanders are French.

As an American I don't want to diss our Special Forces. But, to assume that our's is much better than any others is a bit of a streach.

I just don't get this thread. There was a lot of anti-French sentiment
    I apologize if you took this as an "anti-French" slam, that was not the intention.
    What was in the opening of my OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    At a time when our president and other politicians tend to apologize for our country's pri or actions, here's a refresher on how some of our previous patriots handled negative comments about our country.
    I am proud to be of this land, GOD BLESS AMERICA
    PBO speaks to the world, including at Copenhagen, apologizing for our "arrogance", saying we act solely in our self interest, then takes lectures & books from those that oppose us instead of with pride & emphasizing our accomplishments/efforts to improve the world.
    This is emboldening our enemies who have sworn to "wipe us from the pages of history". Obama needs to change his words, the ones he's using are having no effect on Mahmoud. Even Hillary admits that.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

As a former soldier, I can tell you that without a doubt, we have the best special forces out there. I know this, because we have put a hurting on some of the "best" other countries had to offer. I was a soldier and am not afraid to admit this, but them Navy Seals, tough buddy, tough!
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCreek View Post
    How about Posting #24, it would give some insight into your ability to judge American Special Operations which includes SEALS, Special Forces, Parajumpers + CCT, and MARSOC Marines as well as their support. It will also help in the ability to judge your statement below.
    Hey dude, don't leave out us Ranger types!
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown